Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best friend changed

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Ever since my best friend started going out with her first boyfriend around 6 months ago she's changed so much, we used to be so close and now conversations between us feel quite false and awkward.
    We live together but still barely see each and she is very jealous about how close I've become to our other housemates, but since she's never around it's only natural that she's drifted apart from us.
    I've tried to talk to her about it all on numerous occasions as it's obvious that she's unhappy and has a problem with feeling left out but every time we talk we reach the same conclusion and then the next day it's back to being awkward/distant again.
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated! I hate seeing my friend so unhappy and I miss her but I feel like there's nothing I can do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with some people is that they throw their friends away for their relationship, I've been on the receiving end of this unfortunately.
    The only thing I could suggest is don't put so much effort in, eventually they will notice how they have lost a good friend and they will try to mend the friendship once the glazed glasses of love have worn off.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My best friend changed. Now he looks like this...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=sme...,r:0,s:0,i:138
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frodo Baggins)

You're genuinely amazing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThumbsUp)
    You're genuinely amazing.
    Sarcasm???
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm???
    Nooooo haha i see your posts sometimes and when i do they make me smile, probably because im a ltr fan :-)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would think of something like an intervention including all the friends/housemates involved, you and her all sitting in the same room and talking (one at a time) arranged in a circle (and talking in the order of the circle)... make sure there are strict rules against talking while the other is talking... as this is counter productive to trying to solve the problem (and make sure everyone understands this), and perhaps talk to the boyfriend to, contemplating whether to include him into the circle based on whether he sympathises with you/housemates or not

above all else, make sure sure it ends up like those convos you mention where it goes back to being awkward... make sure the problem is resolved by the end of it and that no one can leave till it is resolved... such that theres time for having a bf and having friends... if thats not possible, then....

then again, i may not be the best person to give advice...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ever since my best friend started going out with her first boyfriend around 6 months ago she's changed so much, we used to be so close and now conversations between us feel quite false and awkward.
    We live together but still barely see each and she is very jealous about how close I've become to our other housemates, but since she's never around it's only natural that she's drifted apart from us.
    I've tried to talk to her about it all on numerous occasions as it's obvious that she's unhappy and has a problem with feeling left out but every time we talk we reach the same conclusion and then the next day it's back to being awkward/distant again.
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated! I hate seeing my friend so unhappy and I miss her but I feel like there's nothing I can do
    This happens to a lot of people, myself included, friends just dump you for their boyfriends yet they still expect you to be there to pick up the pieces.

You could try and get her to go out with you and your housemates somewhere without her boyfriend (may take some persuasion :rolleyes:) or invite her over for a girls night in etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo haha i see your posts sometimes and when i do they make me smile, probably because im a ltr fan :-)
    AWWW! Im a bit sheldon cooper when it comes to social norms.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    AWWW! Im a bit sheldon cooper when it comes to social norms.
    Haha same but i wouldnt swap my ways for anything
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha same but i wouldnt swap my ways for anything
    Neither would i my friend, neither would i. If you like my posts, did you see the one about sauron?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neither would i my friend, neither would i. If you like my posts, did you see the one about sauron?
    Glad to here it, my thoughts are my shire, ive never wanted to change my surroundings i dont think so,only got on about 20 mins ago...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad to here it, my thoughts are my shire, ive never wanted to change my surroundings i dont think so,only got on about 20 mins ago...
    HAHA! The sauron posts was over 2 months ago and got 150 pos reps.

BTW open link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznlDlNPw4Q
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    HAHA! The sauron posts was over 2 months ago and got 150 pos reps.

BTW open link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznlDlNPw4Q
    150 reps? lol where is this I am intrigued (how pathetic of me)

OP: all I can offer is empathy. I'm going through a similar rough patch.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    150 reps? lol where is this I am intrigued (how pathetic of me)

OP: all I can offer is empathy. I'm going through a similar rough patch.
    I cant find the link?! But i remember it being around 130-150.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I cant find the link?! But i remember it being around 130-150.
    if you can remember the thread title then I can search it from your previous posts.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    if you can remember the thread title then I can search it from your previous posts.
    awkward. I only had 124 pos reps.....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1968962
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This happens alot when someone goes into a relationship. They always come crawling back.

I had an aquaintance (never liked him) that was friends with my friends (there's always one in a group). He forgot all about his friends when he got with his first GF, to which most forgave him, but did the same thing again with his current GF. My friends are now fed up and ignoring him.

Basically, dumping your friends with love-tinted glasses rarely ends well.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

ahah I clicked on the link and then I saw your name

*EXPLAINS A LOT*

=')
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    awkward. I only had 124 pos reps.....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1968962
    Aww, well here's one from me on here

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.