Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Multiple choice Q's

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Q11) I thought a compound can only have 1 molecular ion peak?
    Q12) I know the formula for atom economy but none of them give the correct value? :s
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since you have two isotopes of Bromine present, you will have more than one molecular ion peak.

Not sure what you mean by atom economy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabre2th1)

Q11) I thought a compound can only have 1 molecular ion peak?
    Q12) I know the formula for atom economy but none of them give the correct value? :s
    11) As there are two Br isotopes to consider and two Br in each molecule, you could have:

a) one with 79Br and 79Br
    b) one with 79Br and 81Br
    c) one with 81Br and 81Br

So you would have three peaks for the molecular ion.

There are often other peaks present around the molecular ion for an organic molecule (eg for when some carbon 13 is present), but the abundance of other isotopes is so small that these peaks are only tiny. For bromine the two isotopes have a bigger abundance relative to each other, hence you notice the peaks due to differing isotopes.

12) Remember it's (sum of Mr of useful products/sum of Mr of all products)x100
    and make sure you've got the correct product as your useful product (a very easy mistake to make on these). It does work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clownfish)
    11) As there are two Br isotopes to consider and two Br in each molecule, you could have:

a) one with 79Br and 79Br
    b) one with 79Br and 81Br
    c) one with 81Br and 81Br

So you would have three peaks for the molecular ion.

There are often other peaks present around the molecular ion for an organic molecule (eg for when some carbon 13 is present), but the abundance of other isotopes is so small that these peaks are only tiny. For bromine the two isotopes have a bigger abundance relative to each other, hence you notice the peaks due to differing isotopes.

12) Remember it's (sum of Mr of useful products/sum of Mr of all products)x100
    and make sure you've got the correct product as your useful product (a very easy mistake to make on these). It does work.
    Oh I see.. How comes we don't consider the 1H and 12C isotopes?

Regarding Q12: I understand where I went wrong now! Whenever there is one product only, the atom economy is always 100% right?

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    Since you have two isotopes of Bromine present, you will have more than one molecular ion peak.

Not sure what you mean by atom economy.
    How do you know its the isotopes of bromine that affect the number of molecular ion peaks? (rather than H or C isotopes)?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you know its the isotopes of bromine that affect the number of molecular ion peaks? (rather than H or C isotopes)?
    The question states that we should only consider one isotope of Carbon, one isotope of Hydrogen and TWO isotopes of Bromine.

That means the Mr of the compound can be :

12*2+4+79*2

or

12*2+4+81*2

or

12*2+4+79+81

These are the there molecular ion peaks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see.. How comes we don't consider the 1H and 12C isotopes?

Regarding Q12: I understand where I went wrong now! Whenever there is one product only, the atom economy is always 100% right?

Thanks!
    Ari has answered the first part for you. In general remember the abundance of the other isotopes of carbon and hydrogen is very small in comparision to C-12 and H-1.

re: the atom economy, absolutely if only one product the AE is 100%.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    The question states that we should only consider one isotope of Carbon, one isotope of Hydrogen and TWO isotopes of Bromine.

That means the Mr of the compound can be :

12*2+4+79*2

or

12*2+4+81*2

or

12*2+4+79+81

These are the there molecular ion peaks.

(Original post by clownfish)
    Ari has answered the first part for you. In general remember the abundance of the other isotopes of carbon and hydrogen is very small in comparision to C-12 and H-1.

re: the atom economy, absolutely if only one product the AE is 100%.
    Oh! I understand now. Thanks a lot

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.