The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

How good is the Univeristy of Greenwich?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kka25
Well I won't counter argue about Greenwich's lack of job opportunity since I don't have any factual data on that; do you?

My whole point is to get good education; from the good education you can display it to your future employers. If your future employers reject you based on the merits of tables and not your skills or intellect, they aren't really sound minded people are they then?

*but it seems that there are many negative comments for Grenwich on this thread :teehee:

I know this link is from 2 years ago but look where greenwhich is.Bottom 3. It is one of the worst uni in the country,Im not trying to be rude here but i would advise the OP not to go there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8138447/Best-and-worst-universities-for-graduate-jobs.html
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 21
Original post by Einheri
It's pretty terrible. Always at the bottom of league tables and universally derided; pretty much a ****-tier university.

I read about it at wiki and it said it ranked 99 out of 119 institutions according to the Guardian University Guide 2012 University League Table.
Reply 22
Original post by EckoGecko
Yes

What were ur grades for A2?
Reply 23
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Rather awful.

It comes near the bottom of every league table for practically every subject.

At this rate i would be lucky if i could get into Uni of Greenwich..So what "Affordable" Uni's do u guys prefer?
Reply 24
Original post by Mr.Legit
I read about it at wiki and it said it ranked 99 out of 119 institutions according to the Guardian University Guide 2012 University League Table.

Which is utterly crap. Yes, league tables aren't everything but when a university is consistently ranked at the bottom of the league tables that says something.
Reply 25
Yeah, this isn't a matter of being snobby, it's just that there is a reason they make league tables, and whilst it might not be the best guide, and is by no means the only thing you should consider, it will give you at least a vague idea of how good a uni is... the ones which consistently rank high you can be assured have a lot going for them... the ones which rank in the bottom 5 consistently? ... less so. It's telling that they're going to be charging less than the £3000 for tuition fees... as much as they say that's about 'appealing to applicants from a range of backgrounds'.... I think we all know why Primark clothes are cheap, and it's not because they stand for equal opportunities, if you catch ma drift... saying that, I do love Primark, so who knows...

Employers and academics will not look well on a degree from Greenwich unfortunately, no matter how good it might turn out to be (though it may turn out the the low ranking is there for a reason). Saying that, if you want to go somewhere cheap and very beautiful in places where you'll meet other people in the same boat and learn a bit of stuff, then go for it! :smile: It just might be a bit more difficult when you leave.
At this rate i would be lucky if i could get into Uni of Greenwich..So what "Affordable" Uni's do u guys prefer?

Do not make price a factor.
Reply 27
What were ur grades for A2?

I'm still doing my a2 exams at the moment.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 28
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Do not make price a factor.

Well TBH price is the main factor ! :P
Reply 29
Well TBH price is the main factor ! :P

Then save up for another year or two before going to a crappy uni.
Original post by darkshadow1111
I know this link is from 2 years ago but look where greenwhich is.Bottom 3. It is one of the worst uni in the country,Im not trying to be rude here but i would advise the OP not to go there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8138447/Best-and-worst-universities-for-graduate-jobs.html

Have you looked at the stats for graduate entry jobs on Unistats? If you do, you'll see it's all field-related. For example, nursing has 100% graduate employment, architecture is pretty high (80%), as is engineering (70%) and accounting (65%)...

EDIT: In comparison...

Bath: architecture 100%, engineering 91%.
Durham: accounting 80%, engineering 87%.
Edinburgh: accounting 80%, architecture 70%, engineering 75%, nursing 95%.
Manchester: accouting 75%, architecture 75%, nursing 98%.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheSownRose
Have you looked at the stats for graduate entry jobs on Unistats?

No, have you? If so inform me.
Original post by darkshadow1111
No, have you? If so inform me.

You were quick - I edited the post you quoted to include some. :smile:
It's very pretty, and it's in a nice area.

If those factors are significant in your search for a university, you're in luck!
Reply 34
looks great and i love the area, i used to go up there quite a lot as my cousins live up near the observatory there as for the university well i havent heard many good things about it but thats just here say so who knows :rolleyes:
Original post by TheSownRose
Have you looked at the stats for graduate entry jobs on Unistats? If you do, you'll see it's all field-related. For example, nursing has 100% graduate employment, architecture is pretty high (80%), as is engineering (70%) and accounting (65%)...

First of all 70% and 65% areconsidered to be considerably low in comparison to ther unis. Further more if you look individually all the subjects that are considered high 90+ are medicine related, nhs where a job is guaranteed whatever the uni so it helps to disregard these. If you look at the more important individual subjects( law,economics,history, english) you can see that they areall below 50% which is extremly bad.
Reply 36
Original post by Bimbleby
Yeah, this isn't a matter of being snobby, it's just that there is a reason they make league tables, and whilst it might not be the best guide, and is by no means the only thing you should consider, it will give you at least a vague idea of how good a uni is... the ones which consistently rank high you can be assured have a lot going for them... the ones which rank in the bottom 5 consistently? ... less so. It's telling that they're going to be charging less than the £3000 for tuition fees... as much as they say that's about 'appealing to applicants from a range of backgrounds'.... I think we all know why Primark clothes are cheap, and it's not because they stand for equal opportunities, if you catch ma drift... saying that, I do love Primark, so who knows...

Employers and academics will not look well on a degree from Greenwich unfortunately, no matter how good it might turn out to be (though it may turn out the the low ranking is there for a reason). Saying that, if you want to go somewhere cheap and very beautiful in places where you'll meet other people in the same boat and learn a bit of stuff, then go for it! :smile: It just might be a bit more difficult when you leave.

Having a lot going with them? What kind of 'a lot going with them' mind me asking? Your analogy of Primark, although appreciated, is a failed analogy; one is a store, another is an institution of higher learning. The tables don't help the students in anyway. It's just there to tell who's better doing research, which helps very little to UG students such as the OP.

Nope. If you do a quick search, you'll find someone from London Met got an offer from the LSE to do their Masters. And as I said, I did my UG in an unknown Uni, and still got in a top Uni. Your argument is easily refuted.
Reply 37
Original post by Einheri
Really? It's normally near the bottom; hovering around 100th place (which is pretty shocking considering there are only about 110 UK universities). It's easy to be satisfied if you've got low standards.

I think on the guardian's one it's three-way joint 88th/120? The complete uni guide table, it's 102/116.

not amazing, but it's not awful.
Reply 38
Original post by Pride
I think on the guardian's one it's three-way joint 88th/120? The complete uni guide table, it's 102/116.

Well that could be the perfect way to describe it?
Reply 39
Original post by Pride

88th is still pretty awful.

Quick Reply

Latest