The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Unit 1H 22nd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

For Woman in Black I did the one about 'In the Nursery' :smile: I was really pleased with the question, but wouldn't have attempted the sympathy for Arthur one!! What did you write about??
Reply 61
Original post by Sophie_1995
For Woman in Black I did the one about 'In the Nursery' :smile: I was really pleased with the question, but wouldn't have attempted the sympathy for Arthur one!! What did you write about??

Literally every class did the nursery one too!! but I was the only one that the did the sympathy for Arthur :P I was so happy it came up :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by cj37
So happy with the of mice and men! But i did question 18 for inspector calls but not sure if i did the right thing or not, bit of an awkward question to answer :s-smilie:

Me too, I was the only one in the class that did it! I feel a bit stupid but i thought that there was loads more to say on the beginning than just on Goole...
Hahaha oh well, the examiners might get bored of marking 1000s of Goole essays and hopefully light up when they see ours :crossedf:
Reply 63
Original post by Shakz
I did of mice n men and an inspector calls. mice n men was fairly easy cos it waz curleys wife. inspector calls- i did question 17...

what did u guys write about for the mice n men question about how steinbeck represents women in society?:biggrin:

I wrote:

About women being seen as sex objects- Susy's brothel
Women were seen as men's possession - Curley's wife
Women were referred derogatorily - "jailbait", "tart", "tramp"

I wrote about 15 lines for each one, extneding each so hopefuly A*
Reply 64
Original post by Shakz
I did of mice n men and an inspector calls. mice n men was fairly easy cos it waz curleys wife. inspector calls- i did question 17...

what did u guys write about for the mice n men question about how steinbeck represents women in society?:biggrin:

I wrote:

About women being seen as sex objects- Susy's brothel
Women were seen as men's possession - Curley's wife
Women were referred derogatorily - "jailbait", "tart", "tramp"

I wrote about 15 lines for each one, extending each so hopefully I'll get my A*
Reply 65
The crucible questions seemed awful at first, but once I got started it wasn't so bad.
The of mice and men question was incredibly easy, maybe too easy... I don't know. I reckon the grade boundaries might be a little bit higher, or the examiners might be harsher if everyone has the same points. I'd have preferred a question where you had to think a little, I'm not complaining though, better than I expected it to be!
How many points did everyone write for each question? I don't know if I wrote enough...
Reply 66
I did The Crucible and Of Mice and Men.

The Crucible was good - I did the Giles Corey question. We discussed him in a revision session yesterday so it was still in my head :smile:

Of Mice and Men was AMAZING! Last time I did it, the passage was about the bunk house and I totally choked. But I love Curley's Wife so this one was great.

I feel really good with this one lol. Can't wait to see what I got :smile:
Reply 67
I did 'Under Milk Wood ' question 11 'what do you think is importance of dreams in Under Milk Wood and how Thomas presents them?' Did anyone done it ?
Reply 68
I did An Inspector Calls and To Kill A Mockingbird. The An Inspector Calls question was okay, but I think I may have rambled a little bit. I learnt a quote to use, but spelt the word 'enquiry' instead of 'inquiry' - does this spelling error mean the quote is nulled even though enquiry and inquiry mean the same thing?

The To Kill a Mockingbird questions weren't so great, especially Part B which I only had 20 minutes to have a go at.

Overall, I'm really not very sure how well I did. I think I probably got a B... but I have no idea, obviously. Hopefully Poetry is good on Thursday afternoon, as I'm hoping for an A in it.

I don't understand how they can possibly set boundaries for this paper when people had different questions from different novels. Some questions are obviously going to be harder than others, like the To Kill a Mockingbird ones in comparison to the Of Mice and Men ones. The boundaries shouldn't be high just because the Of Mice and Men questions were easy.
Reply 69
Hey! I answered question 18 for 'An Inspector Calls' too, nobody else in my school did! (I'm taking this as a good sign though, because there will be less to compare it with haha). I talked about how Eric was 'downstage' because his views were perhaps most like the audience that would have watched the play. And how he builds upon the idea of the 'solid' furniture 'of the period' because the Birling's have materialistic values and ambitions that don't have to be comfortable. And he contrasts his early idea of Sheila 'pretty' 'excited' and develops her into a woman. What did everyone else that answered this question write about please?! (Not sure if I got all confused..)

I ran out of time for part b) for OMAM. I finished my conclusion in time but my writing was awful and I didn't get to talk about much. In part a) I went on about how she blocked the light, the repetition of red, and how her dialect suggested she wasn't educated?! But in part b) all I spoke about was how the characters looked down on Curley's wife (who was main representation of women). I added something in quickly about Ol' Susy and about how the majority of women weren't seen to be like her, but that was about it.

BUT, what I would realllly would like to know is - are the marks distributed evenly between parts a) and b) in OMAM?! So, is it 15 marks per question?! Thank you to anyone that answers!!
I was the only one in my school to do DNA for the first section, has anyone else done it? After that I did Of Mice And Men, a pretty easy question but I found myself rambling and struggling to get all my ideas down in time. I also had trouble finding the quotes, we had different copies of the book to the ones we'd been using in class :/ I ended up just writing down the general gist of one that I knew was in the book somewhere.
Original post by lucilleJR
Hey! I answered question 18 for 'An Inspector Calls' too, nobody else in my school did! (I'm taking this as a good sign though, because there will be less to compare it with haha). I talked about how Eric was 'downstage' because his views were perhaps most like the audience that would have watched the play. And how he builds upon the idea of the 'solid' furniture 'of the period' because the Birling's have materialistic values and ambitions that don't have to be comfortable. And he contrasts his early idea of Sheila 'pretty' 'excited' and develops her into a woman. What did everyone else that answered this question write about please?! (Not sure if I got all confused..)

I ran out of time for part b) for OMAM. I finished my conclusion in time but my writing was awful and I didn't get to talk about much. In part a) I went on about how she blocked the light, the repetition of red, and how her dialect suggested she wasn't educated?! But in part b) all I spoke about was how the characters looked down on Curley's wife (who was main representation of women). I added something in quickly about Ol' Susy and about how the majority of women weren't seen to be like her, but that was about it.

BUT, what I would realllly would like to know is - are the marks distributed evenly between parts a) and b) in OMAM?! So, is it 15 marks per question?! Thank you to anyone that answers!!

Hey, I did the OMAM too. No, parts a and b are assessed as a whole xD
I think it's 30 marks overall, (our teacher said you didn't have to separate parts a and b) so I answered them together - hope that's ok!!
Reply 73
I did the same thing for 'an inspector call', and talked about how the oxymoron: "heavily comfortable" forshaded how the birlings family should change there ways and fix the flaws of society. I then related it to the stage directions"they stared guiltily".
For 'of mice and men', a lot of people spoke about how curleys wife gained authority by her death (from curleys wife to being called the girl) and how it stoped the repeated cycle for females at the time. I DIDNT WRITE THIS! But I still thought the exam was much easier than what i'd anticipated.
Also, they dont mark the 'of mice and men' question individually. The whole question is worth 30 marks.
Reply 74

I basically wrote about each character in the beggining and how they developed so Mrs b was cold then i related it to her refusing to give Eva money. I also did what you did with Sheila. That point you made about Eric was clever, nice one.
I also talked about the light and how it changed because of the harsh inspectors arrival :smile:
In my conclusion i talked about how this shows Priestleys message about how people change and initial views of people...
I hope we did alright, maybe the examiners will see our questions and be relieved that they dont have to mark another Goole question!!
I was actually so happy, I did Purple Hibiscus and An Inspector Calls, PH was actually perfect I wanted to like cry with relief when I saw that hahah, An Inspector Calls wasn't too bad, im just so relieved to have finished english lit, did the poetry last year:smile: xxxxxxxxxx
Reply 76
did anyone do kindetransport?
Reply 77
For OMAM then, what if you answered really well in a) and then bad in b)?! Sorry about all the questions, we've been having them marked seperately in class so I don't know what to expect and I don't want my part b) answer to bring me down haha.

And thank you to everyone for answering my question before! :smile:
Reply 78
For OMAM then, what if you answered really well in a) and then bad in b)?! Sorry about all the questions, we've been having them marked seperately in class so I don't know what to expect and I don't want my part b) answer to bring me down haha.

And thank you to everyone for answering my question before! :smile:

They mark anything that you've written so if you wrote about context in part a instead of b they will still give you the mark. I don't usually write separate answers and normally mix it all together.
Reply 79
I did question 17 Inpector calls. i analysed his final speech really but i dont think i gave a 'sustaines response' :/ i had to keep telling myself to not answer a question i wanted to answer, I dont think it was sustained as much :/

and then of mice and men was good, but again i dont think i did sustained responsse enough. conctex was waffly and thats a bit of a must have. i hope i did okay..I felt physically sick when i was about to go in ugh i was a nervous wreck, i was thinking Slim or Gerald was going to come up! :O thankfully it didnt

I hope everyone did well! bring on results day...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending