Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The afterlife

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very often, while pondering upon the afterlife, I have wondered: What if this is the afterlife? -- the afterlife to whatever we were before. I then realize that since our consciousness has been created at least once, it could possibly be created again. So, I speculate that after death, we will be reborn, perhaps as a different creature on a different planet, or in a different universe altogether.

What do you think?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think any discussion on a potential afterlife is vacuous and pointless, as no one can offer any evidence for or against any view.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who know's.. But i'm in no rush to find out just yet
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, as a muslim i believe that we will go back to god and we shall be judged for our actions on earth. However, islam incorporates the idea of a soul.Each person is considered to be the combination of a body and soul. Similar to the Judeo-Christian tradition, the idea that a physical body is needed for life after death is also present in Islam. The Koran speaks of the Day of Reckoning or the Day of Resurrection (Yawm al-Qiyamah), when the dead will be resurrected and given an afterlife according to their deeds. Muslims believe that for a spirit, the period after the death of a person and before the Day of Resurrection is like the period spent by an unborn child in the womb. The Resurrection is thus the second birth of a spirit, but it takes place after an extremely long period. Never the less, before this period starts you are asked questions by angels. These actions include who is your lord, your prophet, religion........ stuff like that. This period is like a waiting period for judgement day. You will be back to life on the Surrection Day or Day of Judgment. On this day, your deeds will be judged by God. Accordingly, having good deeds, you will be rewarded, by God mercy, by eternal life in the Paradise. If having bad deeds, you will be punished by Pushing you in the Hell fire unless being forgiven by God. God, promised to forgive all your sins (per His will), if you repent sincerely, except the sin of worshiping partner to the one and only one God, the Creator, who has no son, no father, no companion, and no resemblance..

Thats just what muslims believe.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe that there is no afterlife, that death really is the end.

Although, as has been said, nobody knows, so...:iiam:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    What do you think?
    If you are kicked in the head by a horse, your personality can change due to the physical effects.

If you drink alcohol, your thought patterns can be changed.

You are physical.

It is not your physical brain that "carries on". We know that, because we can see it rot and fall apart.

However, we also know that our personalities are intrinically related to the physical brain.

This then leads to talk of a soul. A soul is not a copy of my brain or it would be useless as soon as I died because it would fail to capture my personality. If I got kicked in the head and my personality changed, how would these changes be reflected in a soul? will the soul suddenly change too?

So my real personality cannot be "carried over", the best scenario you can offer is that a copy of me "a soul", reads the state of my personality at my moment of death, stores it and then it somehow something happens to this carbon-copy of my personality.

You see, the whole concept of an afterlife is emotionally driven **** wittery. I know you think you're being insightful and musing on deep concepts, but really you're just regurgitating cultural vomit from primitive cultures that suffered from relative information poverty, illiteracy and engaged in burning witches. Why are you cherry picking cultural baggage? Witches have just as much evidence going for them as afterlives.

Here's the story, your personality is based on a physical metastructure that is going to suffer integrity damage at some point in the future and then your personality is going to cease to exist. If you're struggling to imagine what that's like, consider what the world was like before you were born.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldstander212)
    Well, as a muslim i believe that we will go back to god and we shall be judged for our actions on earth. However, islam incorporates the idea of a soul.Each person is considered to be the combination of a body and soul. Similar to the Judeo-Christian tradition, the idea that a physical body is needed for life after death is also present in Islam. The Koran speaks of the Day of Reckoning or the Day of Resurrection (Yawm al-Qiyamah), when the dead will be resurrected and given an afterlife according to their deeds. Muslims believe that for a spirit, the period after the death of a person and before the Day of Resurrection is like the period spent by an unborn child in the womb. The Resurrection is thus the second birth of a spirit, but it takes place after an extremely long period. Never the less, before this period starts you are asked questions by angels. These actions include who is your lord, your prophet, religion........ stuff like that. This period is like a waiting period for judgement day. You will be back to life on the Surrection Day or Day of Judgment. On this day, your deeds will be judged by God. Accordingly, having good deeds, you will be rewarded, by God mercy, by eternal life in the Paradise. If having bad deeds, you will be punished by Pushing you in the Hell fire unless being forgiven by God. God, promised to forgive all your sins (per His will), if you repent sincerely, except the sin of worshiping partner to the one and only one God, the Creator, who has no son, no father, no companion, and no resemblance..

Asalamu Alaykum...

I pretty much agree with you. Just want to point out that the waiting period between your death and Judgment day is called the barzakh. You may already know this but I'm just putting it out for the benefit of others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSjzY0s0SM

what do you make of this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    If you are kicked in the head by a horse, your personality can change due to the physical effects.

If you drink alcohol, your thought patterns can be changed.

You are physical.

It is not your physical brain that "carries on". We know that, because we can see it rot and fall apart.

However, we also know that our personalities are intrinically related to the physical brain.

This then leads to talk of a soul. A soul is not a copy of my brain or it would be useless as soon as I died because it would fail to capture my personality. If I got kicked in the head and my personality changed, how would these changes be reflected in a soul? will the soul suddenly change too?

So my real personality cannot be "carried over", the best scenario you can offer is that a copy of me "a soul", reads the state of my personality at my moment of death, stores it and then it somehow something happens to this carbon-copy of my personality.

You see, the whole concept of an afterlife is emotionally driven **** wittery. I know you think you're being insightful and musing on deep concepts, but really you're just regurgitating cultural vomit from primitive cultures that suffered from relative information poverty, illiteracy and engaged in burning witches. Why are you cherry picking cultural baggage? Witches have just as much evidence going for them as afterlives.

Here's the story, your personality is based on a physical metastructure that is going to suffer integrity damage at some point in the future and then your personality is going to cease to exist. If you're struggling to imagine what that's like, consider what the world was like before you were born.
    You misunderstand me completely. I did not say that personality or memories are carried forward to the next life. We may (in the next life) find ourselves in a new body, with a new personality, without any previous memories. As for life before we were born, it is possible that we just don't remember it.

I'm an atheist, by the way, and don't believe in the soul.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You misunderstand me completely. I did not say that personality or memories are carried forward to the next life. We may (in the next life) find ourselves in a new body, with a new personality, without any previous memories. As for life before we were born, it is possible that we just don't remember it.

I'm an atheist, by the way, and don't believe in the soul.
    The system you describe has no continuity of experiences or memories.

What is the distinction from the lifeform's perspective of a system with no continuity, to one that embraces the reality of a singular and final death?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    The system you describe has no continuity of experiences or memories.

What is the distinction from the lifeform's perspective of a system with no continuity, to one that embraces the reality of a singular and final death?
    Merely the knowledge that you may live again after you die.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I hope I get to live another life in some sort of Middle Earth world somewhere.

But nahh, me, you and everyone else will just cease to exist I'm afraid.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldstander212)
    .... If having bad deeds, you will be punished by Pushing you in the Hell fire unless being forgiven by God. God, promised to forgive all your sins (per His will), if you repent sincerely, except the sin of worshiping partner to the one and only one God, the Creator, who has no son, no father, no companion, and no resemblance..

Do you not find the Islamic vision of Hell to be terrifying/abhorrent in the proportion and intensity of its cruelty? Among other punishments, sinners will:

Be chained up
    Made to drinking boiling water
    Have molten lead poured down their throats
    Be burned with fire until their skin blackens and God exchanges it for a new skin so they can burn all over again.

As I understand it, the inhabitant of Hell who will be given the least punishment is the Prophet's uncle, who will be in Hellfire up to his ankles and the fire will "boil his brain", which is considered practically lenient. It's the stuff of nightmares! How can you justify something so hideous?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very often, while pondering upon the afterlife, I have wondered: What if this is the afterlife? -- the afterlife to whatever we were before. I then realize that since our consciousness has been created at least once, it could possibly be created again. So, I speculate that after death, we will be reborn, perhaps as a different creature on a different planet, or in a different universe altogether.

What do you think?
    It's a nice thought, and while I would most certainly receive some form of solace at the prospect of it, I know that in real terms it probably isn't true.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Merely the knowledge that you may live again after you die.
    How is it living again, if there is no continuity?

You've failed to set out how your system of no continuity is logically distinct from a singular death from the perspective of the lifeform.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to think. My mum's a spiritualist, my Dad an atheist.
    I didn't think anything of spiritualism until I went with my Mum to a clairvoyance session, and the medium asked me about my boyfriend. I hadn't told my parents at the time, my Mum said 'Who?'
    The medium then told my mum his name and where he lived. She went on to advise me to go with my instinct regarding the thoughts I'd had about dreadlocking my hair, the thoughts that I had told no-one.

Then I got creeped out, and now can't shake off the feeling that I'm being watched continuously.

I hope it's true, it's a nice thought, that there's some sort of life after death, but I can't ignore my cynical side.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    How is it living again, if there is no continuity?

You've failed to set out how your system of no continuity is logically distinct from a singular death from the perspective of the lifeform.
    Singular death - Death is the end of it all.

My "system" - Death is not the end of it all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Singular death - Death is the end of it all.

My "system" - Death is not the end of it all.
    If I took your brain and erased every memory you have, changed your hormonal homeostatic parameters to alter underlying psychological makeup and then placed you on a different continent with a different culture, would that consitute a death? If so, would it be a permament one?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    If I took your brain and erased every memory you have, changed your hormonal homeostatic parameters to alter underlying psychological makeup and then placed you on a different continent with a different culture, would that consitute a death?
    Of course not. I go by the traditional definition of death - body starts to rot.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. I go by the traditional definition of death - body starts to rot.
    This is a strange response, your mannerisms, thoughts and personality would cease to exist...

Perhaps to highlight your position, prothestics are approaching natural limb functionality. If I removed every ounce of flesh from my body and replaced it with machine parts and I dump the flesh in the ground to rot....have I died?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.