Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

prospective mature student

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Well tomorrow I have my interview at college, I'm hoping to do Access to HE, humanities. I'm a bit anxious; I'm 45 and wondering if I'm too old to change direction. I've been a care assistant for most of my life and last year I just realised I didn't want to do it anymore. I would love to teach Adult Literacy and thats where I'd like to be eventually.
    I hated school and I'm a bit nervous about returning to education, I feel so old!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I see no point in sticking with a job you hate. I think that you should definitely aim to teach Adult Literacy. One of my families friends decided to do a physics degree at 35, with no education because he hated his job. Smartest decision of his life he says. I don't think it matters how old you are, if it's something you're passionate about then definitely go for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not too old, go for it.

I'm doing an Access to HE Science and there are people in there 30s, 40s and 50s on this course.... I'm 20 and it makes for a nice, mature crowd and not your typical class full of young teenagers.
    • 168 followers

ReputationRep:
    :hello: Welcome to TSR!

:tsr:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have just successfully finished my he access course. There were all ages on my course from 19 year olds straight from high school to people in their 50's. I hadn't been in education for a long time and I loved my experience at college. don't worry about age you will fit right in and the course is very different from school (which I hated too).
    Good Luck with your course and your new career!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about your age at all, there's a couple of people on my access course who are well into their 40s and they're doing fine. Also my aunt never did her degree until she was in her 50s, she went onto teach A level English and Geography.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, your support means alot

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.