Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How would you define 'thin'?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Like what does being 'thin' mean to you?

&& say a girl had a thin waist 24/25" and 35" hips but 21" thighs, would this make them thin or normal etc?

Basically, is it your whole body that makes you thin or just your waist or hips or whatever.

(This is sorta for an arguement with a friend, so bullet points would be good )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thin [thin]  
    Example Sentences Origin
    thin   [thin] Show IPA adjective, thin·ner, thin·nest, adverb, verb, thinned, thin·ning.
    adjective
    having relatively little extent from one surface or side to the opposite; not thick: thin ice.
    of small cross section in comparison with the length; slender: a thin wire.
    having little flesh; spare; lean: a thin man.
    composed of or containing objects, particles, etc., widely separated; sparse: thin vegetation.
    scant; not abundant or plentiful.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Thin" for me doesn't have particularly nice connotations for me.
    "Slim" on the other hand is a whole other story. I hate it when people moan about wanting to be "thin" and wanting to be "skinny". It doesn't exactly set a good example to kids. (Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that some people are naturally thin through no fault of their own. I'm simply referring to the fact that people aspire to be thin, rather than healthy.)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    "Thin" for me doesn't have particularly nice connotations for me.
    "Slim" on the other hand is a whole other story. I hate it when people moan about wanting to be "thin" and wanting to be "skinny". It doesn't exactly set a good example to kids. (Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that some people are naturally thin through no fault of their own. I'm simply referring to the fact that people aspire to be thin, rather than healthy.)
    So, to you, thin & slim are different things?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threecupcakes)
    "Thin" has developed negative connotations when referring to someone's appearance. The same applies to "skinny". Both imply an unhealthy lack of body mass.

"Slim" has positive connotations, implying that someone's shape is just right.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So for the measurements I described, 31-24-35 with 21" thighs for a 5'7 height makes this girl thin or slim?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    being at the lower end of the healthy bmi range.

beyond that it just becomes unhealthy/emaciated/dangerous etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thin is where a girl ain't got a nice ass anymore and no breasts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is not just about measurements. You need to take in consideration the person's height in realtion to their measurements. I would say a BMI of around 18-20 is thin. When I say "thin" I mean little fat or flesh on the body. And little muscle either.

If there is any muscle then I would say that the person's body was "athletic".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would describe someone who's medically underweight as "thin".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyminty)
    It is not just about measurements. You need to take in consideration the person's height in realtion to their measurements. I would say a BMI of around 18-20 is thin. When I say "thin" I mean little fat or flesh on the body. And little muscle either.

If there is any muscle then I would say that the person's body was "athletic".
    Yeah but in the case of the girl I was describing, she is 5'7 and 31-24-35 but she still has 21" thighs = muscle. So is she athletic or thin or slim...etc? Cos her waist is pretty thin.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your measurements sound fine. Stop stressing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not being a perv, but unless people actually see that body rather than throwing some numbers about it's kind of useless... to me anyway. people can be the same height, have the same measurements, but one could look quite a bit heavier than the other because their frames are different
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone's "thin" if they have low bodyfat percentage combined with little LBM. Measurements here are silly to go on.

Low body mass, high bodyfat percentage and little LBM = skinny fat
    Low body mass, low bodyfat percentage and high LBM = athletic

In my opinion, anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 23, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.