The Student Room Group

Failed A levels second time..

So last year i took Biology, Chemistry, Business studies and maths, and for biology, chemistry and maths i got 3 U's. So then i decided to go to the same school and retake.. but i havent seen an improvement in my grades. The teachers are really bad, instead of motivating you they make you feel bad because you're a retake student. So i decided to do full on revision a month before my exams in april.. but i somehow feel like maybe that wasnt enough and what if i dont get the grades to go into A2? I've always wanted to go to university.. since no one in my family has been to university. That would mean if i start fresh in a new college/school, i'd be finished with a levels at the age of 20? because ive just turned 18 now.. help!
Reply 1
Hey... relax :smile:

If at first you fail then try again. Try to work out why you failed and what you need to work on. Be patient and remain calm. Have confidence in yourself!
Reply 2
Original post by superglow12
So last year i took Biology, Chemistry, Business studies and maths, and for biology, chemistry and maths i got 3 U's. So then i decided to go to the same school and retake.. but i havent seen an improvement in my grades. The teachers are really bad, instead of motivating you they make you feel bad because you're a retake student. So i decided to do full on revision a month before my exams in april.. but i somehow feel like maybe that wasnt enough and what if i dont get the grades to go into A2? I've always wanted to go to university.. since no one in my family has been to university. That would mean if i start fresh in a new college/school, i'd be finished with a levels at the age of 20? because ive just turned 18 now.. help!

firstly you never know how you really did til results day.

secondly if you've failed your a-levels again then maybe they aren't for you. there are other routes into university such as Btecs, diplomas and access to higher education courses (although these are typically for 19+) so consider one of these.
(edited 11 years ago)
:hugs: I'm redoing 2 ASes and swapped another. And a few weeks ago, one of my teachers resigned!

You do realsie that msot places won't fund you to do a-levels if you're 19 before the 1st of September of the year you start. A girl at my sixth form did sciency stuff, went to uni and realised it wasn't for her. So she came back to do stuff like english and drama and is 20, so she's having to pay thousands of pounds :frown:
Reply 5
You don't know how you've done yet, so now's not the time to panic. There's nothing you can do at the moment other than wait to see how you've done. Good luck and hopefully your extra hard work will have paid off and you'll get the marks you want.

I'd say, however, that if you do really struggle at A Level and have to take a lot of resits then you may want to reconsider what you want to do. It may just be that you didn't work hard enough before and the extra work will mean that you do well this time, but if you struggle even when you're putting in the work, do you really want to spend three years struggling at university? Uni work, at least in anywhere worth going, will be harder than A Levels, so if you're struggling now you'll only be putting unnecessary strain on yourself if you decide that you ought to be going to uni. Of course, you may really enjoy it and relish the hard work, but if you suspect you might not, then I think it's important to remember that university isn't necessarily this land of awesome fun that people make it out to be, and that you can equally have fun doing other things. Yeah, some people love uni, but some people have just as much if not more fun doing other things. Working, doing an apprenticeship...

I'm surprised your teachers were so unhelpful, though, that's really bad, perhaps you should complain to someone higher up the school. They should be offering you the help you need, not looking down on you!
Reply 6
Sadly I might be in your position. I hope not :frown:
Reply 7
do a btec.
Reply 8
Fear not! Third time's the charm:smile:
Reply 9
Do an internship.
Reply 10
Do an apprenticeship? Depending on the subject you wish to take at university you may not be able to cope with it. Degrees are usually much more demanding than A levels and so if you can't do them, you'd struggle with a degree. It does depend just how much of your results are down to your teachers but you can't blame them wholly. At university most of your learning is done by yourself. If you're dependent on a teacher you need to try and learn solely by yourself and perhaps re-look your revision techniques.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
lol you guys are so supportive thank you all!! well maybe i should wait and see, but i just want to have back up if i fail again. i want to either study biomedical or nursing.. but im not really sure :\ i heard universities dont really look at diplomas?
Revision for a month beforehand should have given you a great set of knowledge - don't despair.
Reply 13
Original post by Clare~Bear
:hugs: I'm redoing 2 ASes and swapped another. And a few weeks ago, one of my teachers resigned!

You do realsie that msot places won't fund you to do a-levels if you're 19 before the 1st of September of the year you start. A girl at my sixth form did sciency stuff, went to uni and realised it wasn't for her. So she came back to do stuff like english and drama and is 20, so she's having to pay thousands of pounds :frown:

im turning 19 next year lol, so i think i'll still be able to do the course for free?
Original post by superglow12
im turning 19 next year lol, so i think i'll still be able to do the course for free?

You should be fine for the first year but they wouldn't get funding for your second year so they might be reluctant to take you at all :/ :hugs:
I'm in the exact same position as you atm

Quick Reply

Latest