Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Test Cricket - Current Top 11 Team

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who would make it in to your world 11 of current cricket players for test cricket?

(World Rankings included in brackets)

1 Alistair Cook (6)
    2 H Amla (9)
    3 J Kallis (3)
    4 K Pietersen (18)
    5 M Clarke (Captain) (8)
    6 AB de Villiers (wk) (2)
    7 Stuart Broad (5)
    8 Graeme Swann (4)
    9 Dale Steyn (1)
    10 James Anderson (3)
    11 Saeed Ajmal (2)

My reasoning:

- All Indian players are now considered crap - until they correct this 8-0 problem (and I am Indian btw...) Virat Kohli is not good enough at Test cricket yet. None of the batsmen can play properly abroad any more. NB. R Dravid is now retired.
    The bowlers are crap and have always been crap.

- No Bangledeshi, WI, NZ players could probably make the England or South Africa teams.

- Sri Lanka have some good batsmen. But I think Sangakara never plays influential innings and Jayawardena has failed a few times lately.

- Pakistan have won off late because of one player really and I included him.

- Australia are doing well at the moment because they have come across a couple of crap/demotivated teams. Their bowling is rubbish. They have some good batsmen though but only M Clarke with that 300 was impressive enough to be included, I think. He's also shown that actually he's a sensible and promising captain.

- The rest of it is SA and Eng. AB > Prior - although they are number 1 and 2.

I think my batting line up is open to debate but the bowling I picked without looking at the rankings...it just happened that they are also rated number 1,2,3,4 and 5 lol

Would love to know what your thoughts are!

Vb
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Who would make it in to your world 11 of current cricket players for test cricket?

1 Alistair Cook
    2 H Amla
    3 J Kallis
    4 K Pietersen
    5 M Clarke (Captain)
    6 AB de Villiers (wk)
    7 Stuart Broad
    8 Graeme Swann
    9 Dale Steyn
    10 James Anderson
    11 Saeed Ajmal

My reasoning:

- All Indian players are now considered crap - until they correct this 8-0 problem (and I am Indian btw...) Virat Kohli is not good enough at Test cricket yet. None of the batsmen can play properly abroad any more. NB. R Dravid is now retired.
    The bowlers are crap and have always been crap.

- No Bangledeshi, WI, NZ players could probably make the England or South Africa teams.

- Pakistan have won off late because of one play really and I included him.

- Australia are doing well at the moment because they have come across a couple of crap/demotivated teams. Their bowling is rubbish. They have some good batsmen though but only M Clarke with that 300 was impressive enough to be included, I think. He's also shown that actually he's a sensible and promising captain.

- The rest of it is SA and Eng. AB > Prior - although they are number 1 and 2.

Would love to know what your thoughts are!

Vb
    No Bangledeshi, WI, NZ players could probably make the England or South Africa teams.
    Shows how much you know about cricket.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd put Philander as my twelth man.

Why havnt you not considered Pointing or Tendulker?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Shows how much you know about cricket.
    Who??
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ross Taylor AND Chanderpaul definately could aslo feature int the XI!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is too far off, would probably depend on the pitch player to a certain extent. For example, I don't think it would be wise to play 2 spinners on a 'traditional' English pitch.

There are some changes that I would make to your team though. I don't think KP should be in there, and I'm not entirely sure about Amla either, but I'm not sure who would open. Would like to see sanga and chanderpaul in there somewhere.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dont understand how can you put KP ahead of Chanderpaul? Have you seen his(Chanderpaul) average in the last 10 mactches?? Itss 80+!!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegaffer91)
    I don't think this is too far off, would probably depend on the pitch player to a certain extent. For example, I don't think it would be wise to play 2 spinners on a 'traditional' English pitch.

There are some changes that I would make to your team though. I don't think KP should be in there, and I'm not entirely sure about Amla either, but I'm not sure who would open. Would like to see sanga and chanderpaul in there somewhere.
    I thought about Sanga but then I have always felt that he never really plays very many influential match-winning innings - the kind of innings that KP can play (e.g. against India Lords Test and Sri Lanka in Columbo)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razmazterz)
    Yeah I dont understand how can you put KP ahead of Chanderpaul? Have you seen his(Chanderpaul) average in the last 10 mactches?? Itss 80+!!
    I think bowling attacks treat him with too much respect. What tends to happen is that they accept he's in there for the long haul and he's never going to hurt the run rate that much so they aim for the player at the end. Despite all his greatness, WI never win a match. Also KP is a match winner. He has 150+ scores against India, Sri Lanka and Australia - all matches where England have gone on to win. He scores his runs quickly too.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Gayle
    2. Amla
    3. Tendulkar
    4.AB de Villiers
    5. Chanderpaul
    6.Kallis
    7. Sangakarra
    8. Broad
    9. Ajmal/Swann (really don't know who to pick here.)
    10.Morne Morkel
    11. Steyn

12th man - Vettori
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who??
    All three teams have a number of players who could easily make the England/SA Team, or ANY team

WI - Gayle and Chanderpaul

Bangladesh - Shakib al Hasan

NZ - Vettori

There are others, but haven't bothered to name them
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morne Morkel over James Anderson - why?

Gayle - does he play Test Cricket lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think bowling attacks treat him with too much respect. What tends to happen is that they accept he's in there for the long haul and he's never going to hurt the run rate that much so they aim for the player at the end. Despite all his greatness, WI never win a match.
    Yeah but thats a differenct aspect of winning test matches. If you going to make a world XI you can only base on indiviual perfomances and hence chanderpaul has done more than enough to be featured in the XI. Hes a player that you need in a team, that can bat for long( have a good temperament)altough yes KP is also another excellent player.

You put Clarke in because of hiss 300 odd agaisnt India. I dont think thats justified seeing the state of the Indian bowling attack and seeing India's apporach to the test match...It was more of India's poor 'cricket than Clarke's batting form.

If he would have batted say against a stronger oppsition(SA,Eng) and made 150+ then definately.

So I would have thought Chanderpaul replacing Clarke rather than KP.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think bowling attacks treat him with too much respect. What tends to happen is that they accept he's in there for the long haul and he's never going to hurt the run rate that much so they aim for the player at the end. Despite all his greatness, WI never win a match. Also KP is a match winner. He has 150+ scores against India, Sri Lanka and Australia - all matches where England have gone on to win. He scores his runs quickly too.
    A good batsman doesn't necessarily reflect the teams position. Lara was a great yet the WI got trounced over and over during the time he was playing. Bowling attacks treat him with respect because he is a great batsman. Even if you score 100 every game, no help if the rest of the team only scores 50.

Also, quite subjective how you have downplayed Chanderpauls skills as simply that bowling treat him with " too much respect"
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Gayle is free to play test cricket. I read on cricinfo that they might replace him at the top of the order. Yeah I'd put Gayle in somewhere too.

In the Lords test say Gayle played he would have added at least 100 runs to what England would chased and that would have put tremendous pressure on England and who knows what the result would be then.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anderson is a swing bowler so if you have Steyn in your XI you wouldnt need Anderson.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

He's shown great improvements over the past year, I think he's definitely one of the top bowlers 2011-2012

For the second question, I HOPE that you're not asking me if Gayle has ever played test cricket?

Some of your names are good, but you seem to have an amazing lack of knowledge about the cricket played outside the "traditional" cricketing spheres of England, SA and Australia
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Sachin Tendulkar has got to be in the team, and Broad should not be at number 7 he is a number 8 batsmen, Chanderpaul definitely deserves a place and so does Shakib al Hasan.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Some of your names are good, but you seem to have an amazing lack of knowledge about the cricket played outside the "traditional" cricketing spheres of England, SA and Australia
    ^^I agree with you there ^^
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I would say that Sachin Tendulkar has got to be in the team, and Broad should not be at number 7 he is a number 8 batsmen, Chanderpaul definitely deserves a place and so does Shakib al Hasan.
    I would love to have included Shakib, but I'm not QUITE sure about fitting him in since Kallis by default would already have the allrounder slot, and Swann/Ajmal are better bowlers. He's certainly a world class player tho.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.