The Student Room Group

Getting a Part time/Full time job without any experience = Myth lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I Gurn Hard
Get A* grade A levels and the myth becomes a reality - your friend is obviously an under qualified loser

Ok
Original post by Genocidal
But if someone else has experience in that field and you don't then why do you think you would be better than the person who has already done it before?

I think another problem, which I foolishly forgot in my original post, is that many experienced people lost their jobs during the financial crisis. This means young people without experience are also competing with people with experience. If there's only a few people with experience competing with a job then they will be the ones with interviews.

Yes, there's an off-chance that the person without experience might have been sent by Zeus as an emissary to revolutionise the industry, but the chance is so low that it doesn't really make it worth an interviewers time to attempt it.

Put it this way, I go to a gym and on a daily bases new people sign up and have to go through an induction and the guy that does the inductions really doesn't give people the best advice and he glances over a hell of a lot of important things. Now I know for a fact that I could personally help a lot of people with their gym needs in terms of work out plans, nutrition, supplements, effective exercises e.g. Compound movements, HIT training etc. But simply because I haven't worked at a gym before or haven't had any training in the field I wouldn't be given a chance of getting an interview just based on my CV.
Seriously you expect companies to interview all applicants? Retail jobs here can receive up to a thousand applications. You expect them to interview all of those people? They would spend their whole lives interviewing for roles and meanwhile, the shop is understaffed badly waiting for roles to be filled. Waste of time and money. They have to filter people out and CV's and online applications are fairly foolproof.
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Seriously you expect companies to interview all applicants? Retail jobs here can receive up to a thousand applications. You expect them to interview all of those people? They would spend their whole lives interviewing for roles and meanwhile, the shop is understaffed badly waiting for roles to be filled. Waste of time and money. They have to filter people out and CV's and online applications are fairly foolproof.

Obviously not interview everyone, but for example I work in a mobile phone shop and they have 5 branches in London and another 4 in Manchester and are expanding into other areas.

Now we had a meeting the other day and what they have decided to do is when they have any new vacancies in store, they will guarantee 3 extra interview spots for people without any experience on top of the number of interviews spaces they already have, which I think is 5.

What's the the harm in that?
Original post by Beebumble
If you don't mind me asking what job was it and where did you find it?

Part time shop assistant in a local school uniform shop. They always hire about 10 students every summer because it gets so busy. Saw an ad in the window.
Original post by inadilemma
Part time shop assistant in a local school uniform shop. They always hire about 10 students every summer because it gets so busy. Saw an ad in the window.

Thats great congrats :five:
Original post by DanielMonopoly
Thats great congrats :five:

The interview thing is a nice idea but I doubt that businesses have the time/would care enough to do it. I don't really think that it's feasible.

Now, more than ever, I guess that getting a job (particularly without experience) depends on who you know.
I am currently doing an accounts apprenticeship having known nothing about it in the past and getting a D in my Maths exam (although I did study ICT at college). I have been at the company for four weeks and I have learnt so much already. The pay isn't spectacular but I am really enjoying it.
Reply 29
Original post by Clare~Bear
I got a job with no experience.

BUT It was at a cafe that my family and I had gone to for years so they knew me. PLUS I was only covering for people that were sick/on holiday, so between and including june and august, I only worked for 30 hours at the most!

They haven't asked for me back yet, but they might do this summer.

Try and volunteer somewhere vaguely relevant. Charities are always welcoming volunteers and it's experience and a possible reference. :h:

This is the way to do it, and always has been, except your grandad was doing these informal jobs at 14. They generally do not need experience, run on a cash-in-hand basis and involve places like pubs local cafes. Basically, wherever all the local kids round your area work. Anyone who applies for a job with a real company before they've finished school is a nutter because, quite apart from having no experience, they're never going to give it to you if you're not flexible.
Reply 30
Original post by chocolate buttons
I am currently doing an accounts apprenticeship having known nothing about it in the past and getting a D in my Maths exam (although I did study ICT at college). I have been at the company for four weeks and I have learnt so much already. The pay isn't spectacular but I am really enjoying it.

this sounds good.

Do you see good job prospects in the future then?
I think it's much more difficult to get work later on if you don't get experience early. So many of my friends didn't get jobs in highschool because they didn't need the money or thought they were too busy. Loads of people actually questioned my motives as to getting one because they assumed it was the same for me.

I had an ex tell me "you don't need to work, you have the money and it's not worth anything in the end anyway."

Those part time jobs (from 15 to 18) as a waitress helped me land my job as a media and design intern, which in turn helped me land my first games industry job, known to be notoriously difficult industry to break into.

My point is, there's too much of a lazy attitude amongst so many people, especially those I knew when I was younger. It really does give so many benefits to get into the job market early (while getting good grades, haha)
Original post by inadilemma

Ahh thanks for that I'll have to have hand my CV at my local uniform shop.:smile:
Original post by caiitlinz
I think it's much more difficult to get work later on if you don't get experience early. So many of my friends didn't get jobs in highschool because they didn't need the money or thought they were too busy. Loads of people actually questioned my motives as to getting one because they assumed it was the same for me.

I had an ex tell me "you don't need to work, you have the money and it's not worth anything in the end anyway."

Those part time jobs (from 15 to 18) as a waitress helped me land my job as a media and design intern, which in turn helped me land my first games industry job, known to be notoriously difficult industry to break into.

My point is, there's too much of a lazy attitude amongst so many people, especially those I knew when I was younger. It really does give so many benefits to get into the job market early (while getting good grades, haha)

Thing is, that wasn't a stupid thing to do when I was a teenager. You worked if you needed the money; you had enough money, you didn't bother working. I didn't have a job as a teenager, out of my friends only a couple did and it wasn't to get experience - it was so they could buy the things they wanted. It was perfectly reasonable to start getting the experience when you went to university.

What is unfortunate now is, the people that were teenagers under that 'system' are the same ones that are now trying to get jobs under the new thinking of you need lots of experience. Hence why I think it's possibly at its worst now, and in a few years the young people looking for jobs will have got the experience younger because that's how it will work.
Lol So I was talking to my friend in the gym the other day who I hadn't seen for a long time; My university work is a b***h lol.

So I asked him what he had been doing lately and he went on to tell me about how he's been looking for work but nobody is giving young people without any experience even an interview let alone a job. His exact words where - "Getting a job without any experience is a myth mate lol". So I asked him why he hadn't gotten a part time job like myself at a younger age (17), his answer, he didn't need the money, which is a fair and honest in my opinion.

He went on to tell me about how all employers want are people with experience and how the current recruitment system doesn't help those without any experience get in the door etc.

Now my questions to you guys are the following:

Do you feel that young people who have no experience in work simply because they haven't needed a job before don't have a chance against others who have had the experience?

What do you think of the current recruitment process, the whole apply online deal? Is that system used to filter out people without any experience?

Should there be a number designated job roles for people without any experience in retail/leisure/customer service establishments ?

How well can a CV really represent you as a person?

My opinion as a 20 year old man, I feel all establishments who can offer young people work should have a walk in policy that allows people to come to where ever and gain an interview. I feel like a CV doesn't really represent you as much as you can represent yourself. It should be about the person applying for the role and what they can bring to establishment in terms of skills, ideas and how well they can represent the company.

Basically make the playing field even, so everyone who wants the oppotunity can go for it :cool: lol

I'm responsible for recruitment at the company I run, we've taken on over 13 new staff, I'd say not quite half were young girls without experience - that seemed good on paper, and at interview.
It's no surprise anymore that we're now down to seven new staff - just one of the girls without experience has remained on, whilst almost everyone with, has stayed.

There seems to be a lack of realistic expectations, they came across well, but the truth is, it was about money, rather than responsibility.

I'd now think twice about someone without experience, without real experience of the industry/working world, without a reference from a previous employer and without any real indication of what to expect from them.

I guess the same is for most employers now, these positions were not very highly demanding, yet they just didn't want to work. I could have more easily anticipated this if they'd worked somewhere else, found out why they left and sent for a reference. People who are 20 without experience and nothing filling the post-secondary gap have nothing going for them that can indicate how well they might handle the working world. That's the truth of the matter - of course they should be given a chance, but I cannot afford to waste time, and need to do everything I can to ensure the person is fit for the role, without previous experience, I cannot do this properly.

Smaller employers can afford to look at every application and consider it, large employers cannot so naturally they filter out the applications.

I'd just say, employment isn't an obligation, no company should be forced to reserve places for unemployed people. Companies employ people because they're of use or value, very few will actually do it for the social benefit of an individual. Companies typically operate for profit, and strive for efficiency and therefore recruitment must be fast and effective. I do think sometimes people without experience should be considered, but when someone with experience fits the role better, and you have 500 applications, you cannot give everyone an interview, you cannot give everyone a trial day and you simply cannot afford to "wait and see if they're good enough".
Applicants for jobs should sell themselves to companies they want to work for, the company should take up the best sales pitch.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
The interview thing is a nice idea but I doubt that businesses have the time/would care enough to do it. I don't really think that it's feasible.

Now, more than ever, I guess that getting a job (particularly without experience) depends on who you know.

Lol I think you have just summed everything up :smile:
Lol So I was talking to my friend in the gym the other day who I hadn't seen for a long time; My university work is a b***h lol.

So I asked him what he had been doing lately and he went on to tell me about how he's been looking for work but nobody is giving young people without any experience even an interview let alone a job. His exact words where - "Getting a job without any experience is a myth mate lol". So I asked him why he hadn't gotten a part time job like myself at a younger age (17), his answer, he didn't need the money, which is a fair and honest in my opinion.

He went on to tell me about how all employers want are people with experience and how the current recruitment system doesn't help those without any experience get in the door etc.

Now my questions to you guys are the following:

Do you feel that young people who have no experience in work simply because they haven't needed a job before don't have a chance against others who have had the experience?

What do you think of the current recruitment process, the whole apply online deal? Is that system used to filter out people without any experience?

Should there be a number designated job roles for people without any experience in retail/leisure/customer service establishments ?

How well can a CV really represent you as a person?

My opinion as a 20 year old man, I feel all establishments who can offer young people work should have a walk in policy that allows people to come to where ever and gain an interview. I feel like a CV doesn't really represent you as much as you can represent yourself. It should be about the person applying for the role and what they can bring to establishment in terms of skills, ideas and how well they can represent the company.

Basically make the playing field even, so everyone who wants the oppotunity can go for it :cool: lol

I agree entirely.

I'm 21 years old, currently waiting for September to roll around as I'm starting my new University course then, and as such I'm currently trying to find a job to save up some money.

However, my problem is not that I can't get a job with no experience, it's that I can't get a job WITH experience.

During my gap year after 6th form I worked for 10 months at a Co-Op, doing 30 hours a week and I have a great reference from my boss there. For the last 5 months, until about 3 weeks ago, I worked full time for the shop that my family own, working behind the Deli, producing a wide range of products, and also spending time on the tills, and have a very good reference from the store manager (not a family member). I also have two character references on my CV, one from my commanding officer within the University Officers Training Corps and one from the officer who is handling my entry into the Territorial Army.

In the last month I have applied for 137 jobs. Everything from call centers to bars, supermarkets to restaurants, and I have not had a single interview. My CV is good, I have experience, I have good references, both professional & personal and good grades from my time in school & at University.

So, don't feel like it's only those without any work experience that are struggling, everybody is!
I think some of the problem is perhaps that businesses want people who can adapt immediately to their working environment. If someone hasn't had a job before, it can be really difficult to know how to behave even in a retail or catering environment. Its just naturally harder to get on your feet.

Plus you're always going to get people who are completely unsuited to that kind of job, and neither the employee or employer will know that if they have no experience. One example that springs to mind, we had a student in our office on work experience. He attended our team meeting, which we have every week. It lasts about an hour and a half, and admittedly is fairly boring. But this work experience kid sat at the table, yawning, checking his watch, doodling, fiddling with stuff, paying no attention at all, and then towards the end folded his arms on the table and rested his head face down on them in apparent despair at the length of the meeting. He genuinely had no idea how to act in a professional environment.
Put it this way, I go to a gym and on a daily bases new people sign up and have to go through an induction and the guy that does the inductions really doesn't give people the best advice and he glances over a hell of a lot of important things. Now I know for a fact that I could personally help a lot of people with their gym needs in terms of work out plans, nutrition, supplements, effective exercises e.g. Compound movements, HIT training etc. But simply because I haven't worked at a gym before or haven't had any training in the field I wouldn't be given a chance of getting an interview just based on my CV.

Well I understand what you're saying, but in your example you've also been present at a gym. Been an avid gym user could easily go on a CV when applying for a job at a gym. The difference between you and a young person without experience is that you have some informal experience. We are talking about those with nothing here.

More importantly, how would they know that? They could interview you, but how do they separate you from everybody else? Interviewers may be interviewing hundreds of candidates if they interviewed everybody, it's just not viable.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: Why would I employ a young person when I can employ somebody with a few years experience? It's easier to adjust someone to the way a specific workplace works if they have a few years experience than it is to train someone from scratch. And training someone from scratch is no easy thing. There's nothing in it for the business at all.

Even if we said yes and we employed someone like you who did have informal experience. If we gave you formal training then how would you be different from anyone else who we trained up? They would still be following the same rules. How would you be different? Ok, you might have some extra motivation, but that doesn't translate into business success. If you are following a strict set of rules, which most young people would be in the jobs they would be applying for then what makes you stand out?
Original post by Genocidal
Well I understand what you're saying, but in your example you've also been present at a gym. Been an avid gym user could easily go on a CV when applying for a job at a gym. The difference between you and a young person without experience is that you have some informal experience. We are talking about those with nothing here.

More importantly, how would they know that? They could interview you, but how do they separate you from everybody else? Interviewers may be interviewing hundreds of candidates if they interviewed everybody, it's just not viable.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: Why would I employ a young person when I can employ somebody with a few years experience? It's easier to adjust someone to the way a specific workplace works if they have a few years experience than it is to train someone from scratch. And training someone from scratch is no easy thing. There's nothing in it for the business at all.

Even if we said yes and we employed someone like you who did have informal experience. If we gave you formal training then how would you be different from anyone else who we trained up? They would still be following the same rules. How would you be different? Ok, you might have some extra motivation, but that doesn't translate into business success. If you are following a strict set of rules, which most young people would be in the jobs they would be applying for then what makes you stand out?

Thinking about the long term prospects: is it of concern to you that, if everyone were to share your attitude towards hiring non-experienced people, you'll end up in a situation years down the line where the people with experience - the ones you prefer to hire - have retired or died, and there's no one to take their place because nobody bothered to train new people to do that job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending