The Student Room Group

Students: How often do you visit home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In first year I went most weekends or at least every weekend I didn't have something better to do which was most because we only ever really went out during the week. It's slowly reduced. Now about one weekend a month.

My parents live 30miles away, it's 50mins on the train (15mins to where my mum works then I can get a lift home) so works out at less than 2hrs door to door
Reply 21
Original post by KrishanC93
well at the mo, I'm still in college so its every night :colonhash:

EDIT: Why the neg? I still live with my parents. So freaking what?

I'm guessing the negs would be because this thread is clearly in 'General University Discussion'.
Reply 22
Christmas

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Once a semester at most, mainly.
I have no home other than where I lay my head.
Reply 25
Only go home at holidays because it's a 400mile round trip which is expensive and time consuming.
Reply 26
Usually once a term, halfway through.
Reply 27
I only go home if I have to; mates birthday, gig etc.

Never go home to visit, why would I waste my money to go and sit, bored at home all weekend when I could be out with people at uni? My parents say the same thing. I hate travelling home, the train is always full of whoppers.
Original post by slacker07906
Thank god! I thought I was being really evil only visiting home every month or so.

Yeah you're not alone on this, if you think about it most people will move out of their hometown/city for uni, so its not really practical to travel ~2hour journeys back home for more than about once a month.
Just at Christmas and summer. Its only a couple of hours away but I never really feel like it and I get to see my family because if I hold out long enough they come to me.
Reply 30
I usually go every 5 weeks or so, which is less than once a month. I've been home a maximum of once per month.
i hate when people go home every weekend. I just feel like shouting 'grow up'!!

Uni is about becoming independent. How can you do that if your home all the time?!
Reply 32
I never go back to visit family, but I go back a couple of times a term to visit friends. Probably 2 days a month, but not at all this term (friends had exams, now I do).
At the beginning of term I went home every 2 weeks, as did my flat mates.

However, it was less and less and usually went home every 3-4 weeks.

My uni was only an hour and a half drive away so my dad drove me back on the sunday evening.

However, the uni i'm going to this year (changed unis) is 3 1/2 hours away, so i'm thinking the visits will be less frequent which is sad.

It's weird going home after a while it's all weird being back in your room and bed. Well, for me anyway!
I moved away for college in August last year and I went home at Christmas and again at the end of March for my birthday. I stayed in my new city over Summer also, as I was working. I don't go home that often because its a long journey (4 hour coach, 1 hour bus, 3 hour ferry and a lot of waiting in between that) and because I don't enjoy being at home because it's very small town and there's nothing to do haha.
I live about ~3 hours away from home and I only go home during holidays.
Reply 36
Original post by Randomized
Haven't been home since Day 1 of Freshers week, and i'd rather gouge both my eyes out with a rusty spoon than go back there.

Exactly. I have no relationship with my family and all my friends are in my uni city. What is there to go home for? I don't miss it at all.

:tongue:

I get on really well with my family but I can go months without seeing them, sometimes I can go weeks without so much as a text! Lived with them for close toe 20 years of my life, why would I want to go home and see them every weekend? It's effort too, cba walking to the station. :wink:
As much as I love my family I'll be visiting at Christmas and I probably won't see them again until I move back home. I guess I could visit them more often but I don't see the need. How can you really enjoy growing up and "freedom" if you're going to go home every chance you get?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think I only properly went home over Christmas and even that was only for a week. Meh.
Reply 39
First term went back once. Second term once. Third term about 5 times, but that was mainly to go to Chelsea matches in between exams.

Quick Reply

Latest