Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Poll - When is the best time (AM/PM) to sit the UKCAT? [Not Date]

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: When is the best time to start the UKCAT?
    0800-0959
    4.55%
    1000-1159
    29.55%
    1200-1359
    18.18%
    1400-1559
    11.36%
    1600-1759
    2.27%
    1800-1959
    2.27%
    Anytime is fine
    4.55%
    I don't know
    6.82%
    I'm a troll
    20.45%
    Other [post in thread]
    0%

• 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think afternoon -- morning I'll literally still be half asleep, evening I'll have over-thought everything too much and probably collapse under my own expectations. A nice early afternoon slot i.e. 2pm-3pm sounds good for me as it lets me have a lie in, have some lunch, do a last minute mock and then go do the real thing.

It'll all depend on if you're a morning or afternoon person. I'm the latter.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did it in the morning to stop me spending the whole day fretting and I tend to be more awake late morning
    But it really depends on what kind of person you are
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eco2bottle)
    Is it bad of me to have read your username is spunky duck?
    Haaa, more and more people have said that lately
    Made the username ages ago and didnt realise it could be misread.. badly
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Performance-wise, I think it influences your result very very little. When you're there and facing the test, it will all be down to you, and not the time of the day.

A.K.A. Anytime is fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    to be honest no matter what time you sit this UKCAT your result really has no true reflection of your abilities. When i did it I got 590 (quite poo) but still got three interviews. My friend has taken it twice once he got 610 and another time he got 660. so really just dont over think it!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter, as long as you drink a can of Redbull before entering the room.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pingu25)
    to be honest no matter what time you sit this UKCAT your result really has no true reflection of your abilities. When i did it I got 590 (quite poo) but still got three interviews. My friend has taken it twice once he got 610 and another time he got 660. so really just dont over think it!
    Glad someone else agrees that the UKCAT is the biggest pile of **** ever. I fail to see how me not being able to correctly identify whether all of some shapes have right angles or not relates to how I would diagnose a cancer!

One can see patterns without being good at the UKCAT. Shame the medical schools don't see it that way!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Glad someone else agrees that the UKCAT is the biggest pile of **** ever. I fail to see how me not being able to correctly identify whether all of some shapes have right angles or not relates to how I would diagnose a cancer!

One can see patterns without being good at the UKCAT. Shame the medical schools don't see it that way!
    Oh, I don't believe they do see it as a good thing; I think it's rather more of a 'fair' discriminant to weed out some applicants, so admissions people have to give out fewer interviews

The way I see it, it's the easiest way for them to reject hundreds of applicants by having a 'cut-off'.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this thread exists.:giggle: Sit it at whatever time suits you best.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Oh, I don't believe they do see it as a good thing; I think it's rather more of a 'fair' discriminant to weed out some applicants, so admissions people have to give out fewer interviews

The way I see it, it's the easiest way for them to reject hundreds of applicants by having a 'cut-off'.
    True, good point, I just wish they did that based on work experience, personal statements and references instead! I know these factors are still important but I feel more confident with those than I do with the UKCAT lol
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple point, In the afternoon/evening, its a known fact that the brain is not fully functioning in the morning.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eco2bottle)
    Just wondering when people think is the best time to book the UKCAT, morning, afternoon or evening?

Poll refers to the start times available on the UKCAT website when booking.

[earliest time I've seen is 0800 and latest time I've seen is 1800]
    Depends on the kind of person you are. Being alert is important to answer the questions as quickly and accurately as possible so if you are an alert morning person do it earlier and vice versa
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think both times I've done it it has been in the morning (around 11 oclock). It doesn't really matter what time of day it is, it just matters what time you wake up. There's no point in booking it for 9 am when you only went to bed at 3. Likewise, there'd be no point in booking it for the evening if you woke up like 6 am ish (the reason being that your 'sleepiness', or rather the levels of the chemical that makes you sleepy (can't remember the name atm, we covered it last year) increases from the time you wake up.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whenever suits you, if you like doing exams in the morning, then in the morning or vice versa for the afternoon. I got 780 and did it first thing in the morning because I was having treatment for something at the time and my mid afternoon I was either off my face on morphine or if not, in agony. Do it whenever you like, just don't panic.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not a very morning person. But, iv found i always do better in morning exams. So id recommend that. It really doesnt matter though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.