The Student Room Group

4 A levels or 3 and a key skill in ICT?

At the minute, I'm doing AS French, Classics, English Lit and History, and next year I have the choice of continuing all four or dropping one and doing the ICT key skill instead. Most people say straight away it's not worth dropping an A level for a key skill, but I know people who have done the same subjects as me and just found the workload too difficult. Obviously I can't make a final decision until results come out but I'm hoping for 4 As.
The reason I'm considering it is because I have absolutely no ICT qualifications whatsoever, and if I do the Key Skill I'm getting one for free, but how well recognised is a key skill? There's a place locally that runs City and Guilds Essential Skills ICT, but it costs over £150.
Then on the flip side, would doing 4 A levels even be worth the work when no university in the UK asks for 4? Or would it be taken into account and credit given even it's not essential to getting an offer?
You can't do just 3 a levels? Or alternatively do another AS?
Reply 2
I could do either of those, I could also do the Communication or Application of Number Key Skills, but either 4 A levels or 3 plus ICT is the choice I've narrowed it down to out of what I think I would find most beneficial, the problem is now I can't decide between the two.
ICT key skills doesn't sound worth it. The internet has a wealth of information to help you get used to using various software, as well as more advanced skills like programming. I'd say keep four A-levels, or drop one and use your spare time to teach yourself computer skills.
Oh, I'd also like to point out that an ICT qualification is likely to be extremely boring. It will probably contain a lot of meaningless project work, as well as teaching you genuinely bad practice in using software.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest