The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

I can't quite get to grips with "Come on, Come back". It's so long, but I can't see any depth in the poem. Help please? :smile:
Original post by Taliahart
I can't quite get to grips with "Come on, Come back". It's so long, but I can't see any depth in the poem. Help please? :smile:

Personally I think it's about the soldier committing suicide! I can't remember off the top of my head what I wrote about it but I will have a look and get back to you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 102
Original post by alexandraa
Use the FFTP rule for unseen which stands for figurative language, form and structure, themes and personal response
Then for the comparison depending on what they ask you pick out FFTP for each poem then compare what the poets do the same and what they do differently :smile:

Thank you,

by personal response do you mean how I interpret the content or is it more in regard to the emotional effect the poem has, and should i write a paragraph on each of the FFTP points is it advised to group them together in the same paragraph, sorry for all the questions.
Come on come back has the underlying theme that although it's set in the future, war will never change
The soldier has been injured and separated from the rest of her army (left by the ebbing tide of battle.)
No rhyming pattern - representing confusion of soldiers mind?
Soldier is depressed which is why she wants to commit suicide (the waters on either side of the moony track are black as her mind)
Juxta position "icy amorous embrace" shows how she is embracing her death and wants it to happen. She loves how she is about to die and escape her "ominous" secret, "icy waters of the adorable lake" - although it's very cold and would be uncomfortable, the soldier feels that it is adorable as she is going to die and this thought pleases her
Metaphors and smilies to describe the situation
- quickly as a child, an idiot. This shows how she is rushing to get the job done. As she is being described as a child and an idiot, the reader realises that this soldier is doing a very immature thing and she can't stop herself from doing it. The use of the adjective quickly represents how she came to this decision fast and hasn't thought about it properly
Enjambment of the poem could represent how long the soldier has suffered with her injuries
References to ww2 locations etc shows how although it is set in the future it is similar to the past

Original post by CWE
Thank you,

by personal response do you mean how I interpret the content or is it more in regard to the emotional effect the poem has, and should i write a paragraph on each of the FFTP points is it advised to group them together in the same paragraph, sorry for all the questions.

Yeah how the poem makes you feel, why do you think the techniques are effective at explaining the effects of war (or whatever the question is)
Well some of the points could be split up like in the first F you could talk about personification, similes, metaphors etc
Personally I would split it up into paragraphs as each thing is a separate point. In the comparison make sure you compare them side by side rather than a paragraph on each poem. E.g. Smilies are used both in hawk roosting and come on come back.... The effects of these are the same....

Ok it's no problem :smile: hope that helps!

Reply 105
Perfect, thanks very much

Best of luck in your exams
Original post by CWE
Perfect, thanks very much

Best of luck in your exams

Thanks you too :biggrin:

Original post by alexandraa
Come on come back has the underlying theme that although it's set in the future, war will never change
The soldier has been injured and separated from the rest of her army (left by the ebbing tide of battle.)
No rhyming pattern - representing confusion of soldiers mind?
Soldier is depressed which is why she wants to commit suicide (the waters on either side of the moony track are black as her mind)
Juxta position "icy amorous embrace" shows how she is embracing her death and wants it to happen. She loves how she is about to die and escape her "ominous" secret, "icy waters of the adorable lake" - although it's very cold and would be uncomfortable, the soldier feels that it is adorable as she is going to die and this thought pleases her
Metaphors and smilies to describe the situation
- quickly as a child, an idiot. This shows how she is rushing to get the job done. As she is being described as a child and an idiot, the reader realises that this soldier is doing a very immature thing and she can't stop herself from doing it. The use of the adjective quickly represents how she came to this decision fast and hasn't thought about it properly
Enjambment of the poem could represent how long the soldier has suffered with her injuries
References to ww2 locations etc shows how although it is set in the future it is similar to the past

Hey, thanks so much! Now if it's the named poem, I won't have any concerns! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 108
anyone at all doing the 'Place' cluster? I'm finding it so boring to revise it!
Any tips for revise the conflict poems? I don't really know what to do. :confused:
Reply 110
Hey, I'm so confused, you know the named poems, will one of the questions definitely be on one of them (I'm doing character and voice with medusa, les grands seigneurs and case history: Alison)? I was old by my teacher it would, but I'm not sure, looking at the past papers it looks like they have always come up? Please help me! :s
what is FFTP?
Original post by gcseboy12
for character and voice i hope any of these poems come up. i think there the easiest to analyse imo:
hunchback in the park
clown punk
casehistory alison
brendon gallacher
give

My teacher told me that the following poems would be in foundation and therefore would not be in higher:
Brendon Gallacher
Give
The Ruined Maid

I'd focus on Medusa if I was you because you can compare her to most. The notes available on Bitesize are superb as long as you can remember them
explain what iambic pentameter is? All the defintions on google make no sense to me
Reply 114
Original post by lil-mazie
explain what iambic pentameter is? All the defintions on google make no sense to me

I rhythm with 10 syllables to a line so basically if you're analysing it you can say that it sounds like a heart beat, the rhythm is regular and structuredand also can speed up the pace of the poem, it's used in most sonnets :smile:
Reply 115
Is there an A03 for poetry as my notes say that a01 is themes and a02 is form structure and language for conflict

any confirmation

btw my teacher said FLag is a foundation poem so if your doing higher best not to use it
What are the possile poems coming up in the HIGHER TIER of relationships?
Reply 117
Whose ready to fail english literatre lol. I know i am :tongue:
Reply 118
every poem except for sister maude, brothers and in paris with you
Poetry does my head in :frown: I am burning my anthology tomorrow :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending