The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

what do you think when you hear the word manhunt?
What image do you imagine?
Original post by MabelEnchanted
Hey guys
I'm also doing Character and Voice and I'm kind of hoping for Ozymandias and Casehistory.
I found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/WCSEnglish?feature=watch he has some really good tips and goes through like all the poems! It's literally saved me because I have such a bad English teacher!!

Grrr he only goes through character and voice :frown:
For the unseen poetry, do you have to get the general theme of the poem correct or as long as you give your point with evidence it is alright?
Reply 143
if you give valid points about the poem then you should get marks and back it up with quotations! :smile:
Original post by paperclip345
There was a January 2012 paper though :L Which cluster are you doing?

Huh, I don't know why then, sorry! Conflict :smile: It's fairly easy to analyse I think! You? :smile:
Original post by Taliahart
Huh, I don't know why then, sorry! Conflict :smile: It's fairly easy to analyse I think! You? :smile:

Relationships. Trying to figure out what questions are going to come up :P
Original post by Starrstruck
Seeing as you're doing relationships, what poems would you compare to Born Yesterday? I was thinking maybe Nettles because of their protective attitude but what would you recommend??

You can compare 'born yesterday' with 'to coy his mistress' because of their unusual attitudes, time and wishes and desires
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
does anyone know the type of questions they ask for the relationships cluster, e.g. compare how the writers present feelings in X and one other poem. I cant remember the structure of the questions :frown:

I've got Relationships cluster exam tomorrow. Most probably they'll ask you of how structure is in both poems / how language is used in both poems / how speakers attitudes are presented / how love is presented / how the writer is presenting relationship between the two people in both poems , etc. there's so many questions you can have, I'm just going to still go over all the poems and get 3 main quotes that are significant in the poem. Do this for each one, it helps me when I do mocks as I already know which poems I am choosing. Also, think of poems and link what's common in them, e.g in In Paris With You it's going against the stereotype, like in Hour, going against the stereotype of buying flowers, etc to show love.

Hope that helps! Wish me luck and good luck to you too. Hopefully it won't be too tricky!!
Reply 148
Does anyone have any idea what could come up in Conflict tomorrow??
afternooon peeps, haven't done much english today as I've been focusing on chemistry... going to do a few practice questions now. Any idea what themes could come up? Power has been seen a few times..not sure what else :smile:
Reply 150
PLEASE can somebody let me know which poems for the conflict cluster have come up in past HIGHER papers? cheers :smile:
Reply 151
In the poetry exam tomorrow do we have to write about structure, language and form no matter what question we get?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Relationships. Trying to figure out what questions are going to come up :P

Good luck in figuring it out!! :smile:
Sorry to be a pain, but I can't find Jan 2012 anywhere. Would it be possible for you to tell me the 2 named poems in the Conflict cluster? Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 153
does anyone have the january 2011 paper for AQA eng lit - poetry - unit 2?
Original post by xAlice95
In the poetry exam tomorrow do we have to write about structure, language and form no matter what question we get? This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think that is a good idea, in the cgp revision guide, the sample answers all have included form, language, structure etc. Good luck tomorrow :smile:
Reply 155
Does anyone know if there was a Unit 2 Poetry exam in January 2011? Trying to find it but having no luck :frown:

I dont think there was a poetry paper done in jan 11
Reply 156
Original post by Dandaman9999
Well it is guaranteed that we won't be asked to compare Flag, The Falling Leaves and The Right Word (for higher tier) so that's all good! If anyone wants to check have a look here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-U01TG.PDF
It says which poems will only come up in the Foundation paper and which will only come up in the Higher paper :smile:

Are you definatley sure that the poems listed for higher on that site are going to come up tommorow?? :frown:
Because im re sitting that exam tommorow, and belfast confetti, and the yellow palm definatley came up last year...
Im SO confused??!?!?!? :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Will they definatley come up in 2012??? or was that last years specification??

Help! Please!:frown:
Original post by slaughterthedaises
I've got Relationships cluster exam tomorrow. Most probably they'll ask you of how structure is in both poems / how language is used in both poems / how speakers attitudes are presented / how love is presented / how the writer is presenting relationship between the two people in both poems , etc. there's so many questions you can have, I'm just going to still go over all the poems and get 3 main quotes that are significant in the poem. Do this for each one, it helps me when I do mocks as I already know which poems I am choosing. Also, think of poems and link what's common in them, e.g in In Paris With You it's going against the stereotype, like in Hour, going against the stereotype of buying flowers, etc to show love.

Hope that helps! Wish me luck and good luck to you too. Hopefully it won't be too tricky!!

thanks for your help, I'm praying too, I'm doing a resit and they haven't really taught us any of it but thankfully its more of an exam that you can blag, its not all about pure facts etc. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 158
Don't worry people, you can never be wrong in English!!! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 159
I am dreading this exam. Hopefully the first question will focus on 'The Clown Punk' and 'Medusa' as those are my favourite poems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending