The Student Room Group

What do you think of male nurses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:sexface:
Reply 21
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I wouldn't care.
I mean, it might be a bit 'awkward' for women if they're lying there naked or are getting help getting dressed or something, but on the whole, I see no issue.

Maybe some men would prefer a male nurse as well? As most nurses are female they often don't have the choice.

Being a doctor was traditionally seen as a male role, but by 2017 most doctors will be women.
Reply 22
I have nothing but respect for them. Not only because they're doing a job that I couldn't do, but because they're doing it despite the huge prejudices they probably face. If I was having an intimate exam, I'd probably prefer a female nurse, but that's my issue, not because I think male nurses are raging perverts.
The male nurses I've encountered during my stays in hospital were in general more competent than their female counterparts.

I guess because far fewer men are interested in what is traditionally a female job those that end up in the profession more likely to really want to be there.

And I'll never understand the 'awkwardness' people talk of. It's a hospital. A place for sick people, and people that spend much of their time around sick people. It shouldn't bother any patient, or any truly professional medical staff, what gender the person they're dealing with is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Failed doctors, tbh.
Reply 25
I see nothing wrong with a guy wanting to be a nurse.In fact some of my friends are male nurses.Go for it OP!!.
Reply 26
Original post by Helenia
female ones have a bit of a grudge against female doctors.

Really!? :eek:
No problem with male nurses, I respect all nurses equivalant of their gender. I've found working with male nurses to be easier, they're less bitchy, and just get on with the job.
I don't see anything wrong with them. I respect nurses for thier job, not for thier genders...
Reply 29
Original post by Sherbet
Maybe some men would prefer a male nurse as well? As most nurses are female they often don't have the choice.

Yup. In some situation, I'd rather consult my own gender :/
Reply 30
Original post by kka25
Really!? :eek:

Yeah, not loads of them, but if you end up working with one it can be a nightmare, especially if you happen to have a good-looking/charming male colleague.
Reply 31
Original post by Helenia
Yeah, not loads of them, but if you end up working with one it can be a nightmare, especially if you happen to have a good-looking/charming male colleague.

I'm guessing jealousy is it? Or just mere competition with each other? :/
Reply 32
Original post by kka25
I'm guessing jealousy is it? Or just mere competition with each other? :/

I could hypothesise all day about it, but I don't think there's one single factor which could be identified in everyone with this chip on their shoulders.

It's only a minority; I get on fine with most nurses, but there are a few with whom I've really struggled.
Reply 33
Original post by Helenia
I could hypothesise all day about it, but I don't think there's one single factor which could be identified in everyone with this chip on their shoulders.

It's only a minority; I get on fine with most nurses, but there are a few with whom I've really struggled.

Yeah, don't bother. Live your life :smile:
Original post by Flyteryder
Inspired by the male primary school teacher thread. I'm a guy and I'm going to be a nurse; some people react horribly, saying things like 'That's a woman's job, 'I'd refuse treatment from a male nurse, it's not right'. What do you think of male nurses?

I don't mind, as long as they do a good job. Those people you mentioned are stupid and ignorant. I've come across male nurses before and they were good.

I think more should be done to encourage males into nursing and midwifery. I watched One Born Every Minute and there was a male midwife on there, he was so good! Gender should't judge your ability to be a nurse and midwife.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 35
I have the same huge amount of respect for them as I do female nurses, I've done voluntary work in a hospital, and it looks like a damned difficult job, I could never do anything like that.
Reply 36
Original post by concubine
The male nurses I've encountered during my stays in hospital were in general more competent than their female counterparts.

I guess because far fewer men are interested in what is traditionally a female job those that end up in the profession more likely to really want to be there.

And I'll never understand the 'awkwardness' people talk of. It's a hospital. A place for sick people, and people that spend much of their time around sick
people. It shouldn't bother any patient, or any truly professional medical staff, what gender the person they're dealing with is.

This. I don't really care if it's a man or a women looking at my genitals, they've
seen it all before, it's not a massive deal.
gay
Original post by girl55
Nothing wrong with it. But I know guys who have gotten a little miffed because they were attended to by not even a not-so-good-looking-as-in-the-movies nurse but a freaking guy. So yeah my point is a lot of guys out there still go in to hospital thinking theyre about to be treated by a nice busty blonde nurse and get surprised when a guy turns up

No they don't.
Reply 39
Original post by Dee Leigh
I don't mind, as long as they do a good job. Those people you mentioned are stupid and ignorant. I've come across male nurses before and they were good.

I think more should be done to encourage males into nursing and midwifery. I watched One Born Every Minute and there was a male midwife on there, he was so good! Gender should't judge your ability to be a nurse and midwife.

There are even fewer male midwives than there are male nurses! I've only met one, and he was excellent.

OP, I also forgot to say, expect to be asked loads of times why you didn't want to be a doctor. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest