The Student Room Group

A level choices and career hopes- care to share?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Aaah, then I'll apply to both :biggrin: CSI is cool :L my sister is doing Psychology with a minor in Criminology so like BeAhvioural analysis is cool :P those fifth choices are awesome though :P they will look at them but they won't hinder you, and yep! I hate it when people become complacent :frown:

Yeah do it, It's worth downloadin the Cam prospectus off their website or order it! It's really useful :biggrin: Oh right, where's your sister studying? Yh my friend's doing criminology....seems interesting! Meh fifth choices are a pain to choose :L haha and yeah just got to get good grades in my AS in the summer and get good scores in my UKCAT and BMAT exams! Good luck with your exams
i'm doing biology, chemistry, history, and maths. hoping for a career in biomedical science
Reply 202
Original post by Aysena
Mashallah! You mean you're going to do History AS and Business AS early in year 11?! Biology is interesting to study but difficult to memorise I think. Languuages are really useful to have but be prepared to spend a lot of time on French. German took up a lot of my time and I really wanted to concentrate on sciences and maths and in the end I didn't actually revise for German! I'm multilingual so languages are easy for me but too much time is spent on it >.< Don't take further maths, Uni's consider maths and further maths as one A level so save yourself the stress and just stick to maths :smile: Yeah Welsh bacc is compulsory for me too, but I think it's a waste of time, I'm not particulary interested in Politics and I recently had to do a presentation on Obesity..
What do you want to be again? Thanks! My results are alright, I could have done better looking back at it now..but ah well I'm just praying that they're good enough for Cambridge and that i get all A's in the summer! Inshallah you'll get high grades, you seem smart so just stay focused and study hard and Allah will reward you :smile:

Hi, just wanted to straighten out some things. You're completely correct in saying that many universities don't consider further maths as an A level once you already have maths, but I don't think you're in a position to be telling people not to take it.
Many people fail to get into medicine and in this situation an extra level in a rigorous subject like maths will be hugely advatageous, also they may just like maths!

In the converse, I saw you asked another member why they weren't taking maths. Maths is definitely not needed for medicine, I haven't used anything i learnt in my Maths A level at university. I know many people who did not take maths and are doing fine.

It's good that you're trying to help others, but be careful what you're advising, and check things first.
Reply 203
Original post by My-My-My
Hi, just wanted to straighten out some things. You're completely correct in saying that many universities don't consider further maths as an A level once you already have maths, but I don't think you're in a position to be telling people not to take it.
Many people fail to get into medicine and in this situation an extra level in a rigorous subject like maths will be hugely advatageous, also they may just like maths!

In the converse, I saw you asked another member why they weren't taking maths. Maths is definitely not needed for medicine, I haven't used anything i learnt in my Maths A level at university. I know many people who did not take maths and are doing fine.

It's good that you're trying to help others, but be careful what you're advising, and check things first.

Ah right okay, yes you're right, sorry. Thanks for letting me know
Original post by Aysena
Yeah do it, It's worth downloadin the Cam prospectus off their website or order it! It's really useful :biggrin: Oh right, where's your sister studying? Yh my friend's doing criminology....seems interesting! Meh fifth choices are a pain to choose :L haha and yeah just got to get good grades in my AS in the summer and get good scores in my UKCAT and BMAT exams! Good luck with your exams

I shall do that then :wink: she goes to Glamorgan University :P fair enough! What exactly is in the UKCAT and BMAT?
Reply 205
Original post by Aysena
Ah right okay, yes you're right, sorry. Thanks for letting me know

Haha, it's ok. Give it 5 years and you'll be where I am, telling a GCSE student how it all works!

Also let me know if you have any questions about the applications process/Birmingham uni - Same goes to other prospective medics
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bethy11
what as in Civil Engineering or like cars?
In 6th form I'm taking Maths, physics and further Maths too :smile: Also I'm taking Art, Design and Tech. I'm hoping to get an apprenticeship in Civil Engineering afterwards :h:

I'm not really sure at the moment, i have always had an interest in aviation so i might go for Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering. Mechanical Engineering seems to be popular at moment, however Civil Engineering sounds interesting also....a lot of choice :confused:
Reply 207
I shall do that then :wink: she goes to Glamorgan University :P fair enough! What exactly is in the UKCAT and BMAT?

Ah right, is she in her first year, or second..third? I got friends at Glamorgan Uni :biggrin: UKCAT is the UK Clinical Amplitude Test and BMAT is Biomedical Assessment Test! They're both Medical Exams and I've been told that the BMAT is the hardest out of the two >.< I think for Chemical Engineering at Cambridge you need to sit the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) :smile:
Reply 208
Haha, it's ok. Give it 5 years and you'll be where I am, telling a GCSE student how it all works!

Also let me know if you have any questions about the applications process/Birmingham uni - Same goes to other prospective medics

Haha yeah we'll see, hopefully in 5 years I'd be a Junior Doctor :P
Aw okay thanks, you study at B'ham I take it? Did you sit the UKCAT/BMAT? i've been told the BMAT is 'solid' and I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to study for these exams. I did a practise UKCAT online...and it's sooo random :L I'm going to order the 2012 study books off Amazon....
Thanks so much!
Original post by Aysena
Ah right, is she in her first year, or second..third? I got friends at Glamorgan Uni :biggrin: UKCAT is the UK Clinical Amplitude Test and BMAT is Biomedical Assessment Test! They're both Medical Exams and I've been told that the BMAT is the hardest out of the two >.< I think for Chemical Engineering at Cambridge you need to sit the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) :smile:

What kind of questions.s do they ask??? And I think I'll need to do STEP..
Reply 210
What kind of questions.s do they ask??? And I think I'll need to do STEP..

I don't know about STEP but the guy I said who did Chemical Engineering at Cam said the TSA was pretty easy... I know the UKCAT is really random cos I did a practise one online and I was like WTH, this has nothing to do with Medicine :L but the BMAT is more science related which is maybe why it's 'solid'
Original post by Aysena
I don't know about STEP but the guy I said who did Chemical Engineering at Cam said the TSA was pretty easy... I know the UKCAT is really random cos I did a practise one online and I was like WTH, this has nothing to do with Medicine :L but the BMAT is more science related which is maybe why it's 'solid'

Awww, maybe then... And what questions are in there? Like actual questions? Is it unfair for people who sit certain boards and that?
Maths, further maths, chemistry and history, with hopes to pick up biology AS next year and finish the A2 off, with AS physics, in my gap year. I keep on changing my mind about what degree I want to do, but I guess I've realised my desire that I want to work with animals in the future. :smile:
Reply 213
Original post by Aysena
Haha yeah we'll see, hopefully in 5 years I'd be a Junior Doctor :P
Aw okay thanks, you study at B'ham I take it? Did you sit the UKCAT/BMAT? i've been told the BMAT is 'solid' and I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to study for these exams. I did a practise UKCAT online...and it's sooo random :L I'm going to order the 2012 study books off Amazon....
Thanks so much!

If you're in year 12 it'll be 6 years...

Yeah, Birmingham is awesome :smile:

I only did the UKCAT. I just used a book a friend gave me and the online tests. Didn't really do much prep as I don't think it's the kind of exam you can revise for.
Reply 214
Awww, maybe then... And what questions are in there? Like actual questions? Is it unfair for people who sit certain boards and that?

Umm they give you an extract of a peice of text and then you have a number of questions to answer based on the text, some are true and false and you have a minute for each question. I haven't done a BMAT practise test so dunno what comes up...I don't think so, it's like general knowledge so don't think it has anything to do with boards...
Reply 215
If you're in year 12 it'll be 6 years...

Yeah, Birmingham is awesome :smile:

I only did the UKCAT. I just used a book a friend gave me and the online tests. Didn't really do much prep as I don't think it's the kind of exam you can revise for.

Oh really? In the 2013 prospectuses it says the A100 course for Med is 5 years.... I didn't know it's been changed :s-smilie: Birmingham want minimum 7A* right? I just got that :/ so don't think I can apply there as Medicine is very competitve! What uni's did you apply to? Yeah I'll get the books for both, I just don't like the fact that you have a min for each Q of the UKCAT. What is a good score??
Reply 216
Original post by Aysena
Oh really? In the 2013 prospectuses it says the A100 course for Med is 5 years.... I didn't know it's been changed :s-smilie: Birmingham want minimum 7A* right? I just got that :/ so don't think I can apply there as Medicine is very competitve! What uni's did you apply to? Yeah I'll get the books for both, I just don't like the fact that you have a min for each Q of the UKCAT. What is a good score??

You're going into year 13 in September right?
It is 5 years, but if you've just done you're AS levels then you have your A2 year + 5 years at uni = 6 years til you qualify.

Not sure what the minimum no of A*s is for 2013 entry. I also applied to Cardiff, Leicester and KCL. Got offers from them all except Kings.

The middle score for UKCAT is 600, I got 665. I know people who got more and less than me and know people in both groups who made it and didn't, so having and amazing mark means nothing if the rest of your application isn't strong.
Reply 217
Hopefully for A levels i want to take

-Biology
-Chemistry
-English Literature
-Maths

& hopefully learn dentistry.
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Yes, I will be entering the UKMT next year :smile: I just missed it this year, but my teacher made me sit the paper anyway, and I got a 93 - which apparently was a couple of marks into qualifying for BMO apparently? I'm not entirely sure though, I'm just going off what my teacher said :smile: have you ever entered into anything?

did you do intermediate or senior? got 99 in intermediate this year and I am in year 11. You would have been third in our year and its around 102 to do bmo
Original post by Aysena
Umm they give you an extract of a peice of text and then you have a number of questions to answer based on the text, some are true and false and you have a minute for each question. I haven't done a BMAT practise test so dunno what comes up...I don't think so, it's like general knowledge so don't think it has anything to do with boards...

I see wow a minute?! Talk about pressure... Thermal runaway reactions... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest