The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Psychology UNIT 2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adinaf
hahaaha!! yeah same, anything not to revise. on the plus side LAST EXAM ayyayay

i got 2 more left man :/ after chem exam i barely revised tbh, im outside now lol enjoyin myself got shots,redbull,coke and loadsaaa ice watching films on lappy lol glancing through notes but barely concentratin on em lool :tongue: gl tomorow
Reply 121
Original post by FailedEverything
i got 2 more left man :/ after chem exam i barely revised tbh, im outside now lol enjoyin myself got shots,redbull,coke and loadsaaa ice watching films on lappy lol glancing through notes but barely concentratin on em lool :tongue: gl tomorow

ahhh unluckaay!! yeah, the first week i smashed the revision, now i've lost all motivation and turned to this which makes me look sad a fuuuuuck but ow well ahaha! i've been on two runs in the space of a few hours, JUST so i have an excuse not to be sat doing psychol ahaha
Original post by adinaf
ahhh unluckaay!! yeah, the first week i smashed the revision, now i've lost all motivation and turned to this which makes me look sad a fuuuuuck but ow well ahaha! i've been on two runs in the space of a few hours, JUST so i have an excuse not to be sat doing psychol ahaha

loool if you've done the work beforehand ur finee but **** it lol only 1day before exam ;p
Reply 123
loool if you've done the work beforehand ur finee but **** it lol only 1day before exam ;p

yeahh i have, im ready to smash this paper
Reply 124
who wants to do qs and answers?
Reply 125
Please could someone mark this, its Psychology A Unit 2.

Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of why people obey (12marks)

Milgram recruited 40 participants. There was a real participant and two confederates, the confederates played the parts of an experimenter and the reciever of the shocks (learner). The real participant had to ask the learner, who was in another room, questions and if they answered incorrectly then the participant was instructed to admister an electric shock, that gradually got larger, and went up to 450 volts. Unknown to the participant, the shocks were not real. Milgram found that 65% of participants continued to 450volts, and all participants, apart from 12.5% went to 300 volts. The findings show that ordinary people are surprisingly obedient to the authority of the experimenter. This study shows that people obey because of gradual commitment, as participants started at a low voltage and gradually went higher, it is difficult for them to stop because as it is going up little by little, it doesn't seem too much of a drastic change. Another reason why people obey is due to the role of buffers, as the real participant was in a seperate room to the learner, then the participant (teacher) could not see the consequences of rasing the voltage each time. As the participant was in the same room as the experimenter, then this means that the participant was more likely to listen to the experiementer because he is an authority figure and so the participant would not want to displease him. Furthermore, Milgram found thatan explantion for obedience is the agentic shift. This is when a person will be more likely to commit an act because they believe that they are carrying out the wishes and aims of another, in this case, the experimenter. A real life application that backs up this idea is when the Nazis were 'only following orders', when Hitler instructed them to gas the Jewish people. Although Milgram's study was useful, there was also a lot of ethical issues surrounding it. For example, although they had the right to withdraw, the experimenter was very forceful, and state things like 'the experiment requires that you continue'. Moreover, a psychologist disagreed with Milgram's study, claiming that he put them under massive amounts of stress that could have caused psychological damage. Milgram also decieved participants because he didnt tell them the true meaning of the experiment before it took place. Finally, although the experiment appeared useful, it was conducted in an artifical environment, and so it lacks in ecological validity and it cannot be generalised to the rest of the public, or the world for that matter because it was also an ethnocentric experiement as only Americans were used.
Original post by emgeesify

Milgram recruited 40 participants. There was a real participant and two confederates, the confederates played the parts of an experimenter and the reciever of the shocks (learner). The real participant had to ask the learner, who was in another room, questions and if they answered incorrectly then the participant was instructed to admister an electric shock, that gradually got larger, and went up to 450 volts. Unknown to the participant, the shocks were not real. Milgram found that 65% of participants continued to 450volts, and all participants, apart from 12.5% went to 300 volts. The findings show that ordinary people are surprisingly obedient to the authority of the experimenter. This study shows that people obey because of gradual commitment, as participants started at a low voltage and gradually went higher, it is difficult for them to stop because as it is going up little by little, it doesn't seem too much of a drastic change. Another reason why people obey is due to the role of buffers, as the real participant was in a seperate room to the learner, then the participant (teacher) could not see the consequences of rasing the voltage each time. As the participant was in the same room as the experimenter, then this means that the participant was more likely to listen to the experiementer because he is an authority figure and so the participant would not want to displease him. Furthermore, Milgram found thatan explantion for obedience is the agentic shift. This is when a person will be more likely to commit an act because they believe that they are carrying out the wishes and aims of another, in this case, the experimenter. A real life application that backs up this idea is when the Nazis were 'only following orders', when Hitler instructed them to gas the Jewish people. Although Milgram's study was useful, there was also a lot of ethical issues surrounding it. For example, although they had the right to withdraw, the experimenter was very forceful, and state things like 'the experiment requires that you continue'. Moreover, a psychologist disagreed with Milgram's study, claiming that he put them under massive amounts of stress that could have caused psychological damage. Milgram also decieved participants because he didnt tell them the true meaning of the experiment before it took place. Finally, although the experiment appeared useful, it was conducted in an artifical environment, and so it lacks in ecological validity and it cannot be generalised to the rest of the public, or the world for that matter because it was also an ethnocentric experiement as only Americans were used.

This is unit 1 psychology not 2.
What is the difference between confounding and extraneous variables?
Reply 128
Original post by emgeesify

Milgram recruited 40 participants. There was a real participant and two confederates, the confederates played the parts of an experimenter and the reciever of the shocks (learner). The real participant had to ask the learner, who was in another room, questions and if they answered incorrectly then the participant was instructed to admister an electric shock, that gradually got larger, and went up to 450 volts. Unknown to the participant, the shocks were not real. Milgram found that 65% of participants continued to 450volts, and all participants, apart from 12.5% 100% went the full way of giving shocks of 300v went to 300 volts. The findings show that ordinary people are surprisingly obedient to the authority of the experimenter. This study shows that people obey because of gradual commitment, as participants started at a low voltage and gradually went higher, it is difficult for them to stop because as it is going up little by little, it doesn't seem too much of a drastic change. Another reason why people obey is due to the role of buffers, as the real participant was in a seperate room to the learner, then the participant (teacher) could not see the consequences of rasing the voltage each time. As the participant was in the same room as the experimenter, then this means that the participant was more likely to listen to the experiementer because he is an authority figure and so the participant would not want to displease him. Furthermore, Milgram found thatan explantion for obedience is the agentic shift. This is when a person will be more likely to commit an act because they believe that they are carrying out the wishes and aims of another, in this case, the experimenter. A real life application that backs up this idea is when the Nazis were 'only following orders', when Hitler instructed them to gas the Jewish people. Although Milgram's study was useful, there was also a lot of ethical issues surrounding it. For example, although they had the right to withdraw, the experimenter was very forceful, and state things like 'the experiment requires that you continue'. Moreover, a psychologist disagreed with Milgram's study, claiming that he put them under massive amounts of stress that could have caused psychological damage. Milgram also decieved participants because he didnt tell them the true meaning of the experiment before it took place. Finally, although the experiment appeared useful, it was conducted in an artifical environment, and so it lacks in ecological validity and it cannot be generalised to the rest of the public, or the world for that matter because it was also an ethnocentric experiement as only Americans were used.

which exam board is this for?
this is unit 1 for edexcel not for unit 2
Reply 129
Sorry wrong exam board! Its AQA
Has anybody else studied the Cramer (1990) study ratehr than the Axline (Dibs) study? I'm quite worried now!
Reply 131
Going for full UMS. Can't wait!
Reply 132
Original post by Distractions
What is the difference between confounding and extraneous variables?

nothing. Same thing, different word
who else is going to ****/urinate all over the paper tomorow?!! :biggrin:!!
does anyone know what the critical value for the mann whitney u test is?
for the spatial abilities question...
Original post by rebeccaaa-
does anyone know what the critical value for the mann whitney u test is?
for the spatial abilities question...

Observed value is what you should have from you're date
Critical value you can just make up, e.g: 0.5
Reply 136
what does everyone think is going to come up i have a bad feeling about this exam :frown:
Observed value is what you should have from you're date
Critical value you can just make up, e.g: 0.5

ah thankyou! okay, so if my observed value is 0.5 and its written in my notes as significant. does this mean the critical value has to be higher or lower to be significant?
Original post by rebeccaaa-
ah thankyou! okay, so if my observed value is 0.5 and its written in my notes as significant. does this mean the critical value has to be higher or lower to be significant?

just say you collected an observed value of 0.4 and a critical value of 0.5 and therefore you accepted the null hypotesis :smile:) easy marks lol
just say you collected an observed value of 0.4 and a critical value of 0.5 and therefore you accepted the null hypotesis :smile:) easy marks lol

Buuuut, for the Mann Witney if the observed value is less than the critical value then it is significant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending