Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe in a god or gods? POLL

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Do you believe in a god or gods?
    Yes
    33.79%
    No
    66.21%

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophF_rth)
    Agnostics FTW! :P
    Agree :five:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Ugh... this is my final attempt to clarify this.
    Less of the attitude, please.

That's all well and good, but you seem to have forgotten my quote:

'In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who is undecided about the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively'

This is a perfect, simple summary. There is no need to get into mixtures of differing viewpoints. Though at least now you can accept that it is not black and white.

I'm done here.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrizzle94)
    Less of the attitude, please.

That's all well and good, but you seem to have forgotten my quote:

'In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who is undecided about the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively'

This is a perfect, simple summary. There is no need to get into mixtures of differing viewpoints. Though at least now you can accept that it is not black and white.

I'm done here.
    Attitude? How would you feel after spending so long trying to explain something to someone for them to completely ignore you? I don't care what the popular sense is: gnostic = knowledge, theism = belief.

Yours isn't a perfect simple summary because it is incorrect and does not represent the viewpoint accurately, a distinction has to be made between agnostic/gnostic and theism/atheism.

It is not possible to be unsure of your own irrational beliefs. And even if you claim to be unsure, you are STILL and atheist, because you don't explicitly believe in a god or gods!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Attitude? How would you feel after spending so long trying to explain something to someone for them to completely ignore you? I don't care what the popular sense is: gnostic = knowledge, theism = belief.

Yours isn't a perfect simple summary because it is incorrect and does not represent the viewpoint accurately, a distinction has to be made between agnostic/gnostic and theism/atheism.

It is not possible to be unsure of your own irrational beliefs. And even if you claim to be unsure, you are STILL and atheist, because you don't explicitly believe in a god or gods!
    My God, you really are being quite pig-headed.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _music<3)
    What? I'm simply trying to explain why it's nonsense to refer to yourself as just "agnostic" and to have no belief either way. You either believe in a god, or you don't ("undecided" is obviously not believing in a god). The people that cannot understand that are the pig-heads.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in god, the whole concept over complicates everything. The complete lack of evidence is also pretty indicative.

They are defending their position (which I might add they have done very sensibly and methodically) and are being ignored, so are persisting. That is generally how threads develop and discussion is formed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    I don't believe in god, the whole concept over complicates everything. The complete lack of evidence is also pretty indicative.

They are defending their position (which I might add they have done very sensibly and methodically) and are being ignored, so are persisting. That is generally how threads develop and discussion is formed.
    Well forgive me, but I find the suggestion that if you are not sure about a belief in God constitutes automatically being a non-believer quite condescending, not to mention extremely assumptive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same here. I am a strong athiest. I believe in what can be verified using science and logic.

I find it irrational how people can claim that there is a higher deity out there -_-.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well forgive me, but I find the suggestion that if you are not sure about a belief in God constitutes automatically being a non-believer quite condescending, not to mention extremely assumptive.
    It was made assumptive by the OP, if your a dont know then you dont believe in a god. It's not what we think personally it was established very early on at the start of the thread.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aljolson)
    It was made assumptive by the OP, if your a dont know then you dont believe in a god. It's not what we think personally it was established very early on at the start of the thread.
    It may be so that the OP established this, but I do not see why it can't be challenged.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My username gives it a way a little...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be confusing a belief with an analysis. A belief is irrational and not based on evidence. It is always black and white, because you decide what your beliefs are.

If someone says they "don't know", they don't believe a god exists any more than someone who says "no". So therefore, they are atheist.
    Your logic is terrible. Firstly, take an issue such as abortion: some people might be for it and others against it, some people will be undecided (read: Unsure) about what to do with regards to abortion. It is from that position that you should read about the various arguments and solidify for yourself your personal beliefs. It is the same with belief in a god. Some people may believe and others may not, there is also a group of people who are 'unsure' - they should research and look into the theological approaches and then put them into agree and disagree. Once this process is complete they should be able to move from Unsure into either category.

Things are not binary. You are basically suggesting that you are either one or the other - which then, is similar to the Verification Principle - and I would say that by denying people a choice beyond yes/no is similar to suggesting the world is square or flat - it's neither it's a sphere.

Secondly, by saying a belief is irrational thus rejects all science and theology. People form beliefs from evidence, to claim otherwise just shows you're narrow-minded. The Bible and other Scriptures, Shared experience, ontological enrichment, miracles, and a Sensus Divinitatis all allow people have 'evidence' towards their faith. Stop being an angst-filled teenager who regards Science above all.

I personally don't believe in any form of god but to deny people "Unsure" because you desire to falsely claim that it is either yes or no pretty much makes all you posts fail. Grow up then re-enter philosophy please.

And, to take your last part, if someone is asked do they like X but have never tried X then they would say 'I don't know'. Only upon trying it (which is paralleled in this thread by trying to understand Theology to make your own decision) can they say Yes or No. If X is a Chocolate ice-cream and the person loves Chocolate then we can presuppose they would like it, even if they say 'I don't know'. Therefore by saying I don't know about X (god / chocolate) they could be more in the Yes-camp than the No-camp.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sellya)
    Your logic is terrible. Firstly, take an issue such as abortion: some people might be for it and others against it, some people will be undecided (read: Unsure) about what to do with regards to abortion. It is from that position that you should read about the various arguments and solidify for yourself your personal beliefs. It is the same with belief in a god. Some people may believe and others may not, there is also a group of people who are 'unsure' - they should research and look into the theological approaches and then put them into agree and disagree. Once this process is complete they should be able to move from Unsure into either category.

Things are not binary. You are basically suggesting that you are either one or the other - which then, is similar to the Verification Principle - and I would say that by denying people a choice beyond yes/no is similar to suggesting the world is square or flat - it's neither it's a sphere.

Secondly, by saying a belief is irrational thus rejects all science and theology. People form beliefs from evidence, to claim otherwise just shows you're narrow-minded. The Bible and other Scriptures, Shared experience, ontological enrichment, miracles, and a Sensus Divinitatis all allow people have 'evidence' towards their faith. Stop being an angst-filled teenager who regards Science above all.

I personally don't believe in any form of god but to deny people "Unsure" because you desire to falsely claim that it is either yes or no pretty much makes all you posts fail. Grow up then re-enter philosophy please.
    :yy:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that there is a poweful force out there somewhere.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Atheism ftw.....science and logic is the way forward
    Because science and logic is synonymous with atheism only :rolleyes:, lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loki guides my path

(Norse God not the Marvel character)
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Because science and logic is synonymous with atheism only :rolleyes:, lol
    Well there is a strong causation im sure
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sellya)

And, to take your last part, if someone is asked do they like X but have never tried X then they would say 'I don't know'. Only upon trying it (which is paralleled in this thread by trying to understand Theology to make your own decision) can they say Yes or No. If X is a Chocolate ice-cream and the person loves Chocolate then we can presuppose they would like it, even if they say 'I don't know'. Therefore by saying I don't know about X (god / chocolate) they could be more in the Yes-camp than the No-camp.
    Your first example was terrible, you are trying to parallel a real world decision that can be analysed and agreed with or disagreed with to an irrational belief in a supernatural being.

There is nothing wrong with my logic. It is very simple.

Belief in god is an irrational and personal choice and up to now cannot be based on analysis and evidence. It requires faith.

If somebody is "unsure", they do not believe (at this moment) in a god do they? Atheism is simply that; lack of belief in a god. If you are not a theist, you are an atheist by default and by definition, there is NO middle ground possible.

Please look at this diagram which illustrates my definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th..._positions.png

EDIT: And to clarify further, the definition of agnostic is that you hold no evidence or reason to believe in a god. Therefore making it totally irrational to be a theist in that case.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you do not currently believe in a god ("unsure"), then you are an atheist, like it or not. Atheism is simply lacking in the belief. An unsure person lacks belief, don't they?

If you are unsure about something, you are not a believer, so how can it be condescending to be called a non-believer!?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Well there is a strong causation im sure
    Or is it merely the fact that people were oppressed by corrupt powers?

Taking a look at the Islamic golden age (and I'm not talking about the disputes in discoveries and whatnot), I'm talking about the progresses that took place, the remains we see now of what happened, one could say the same there.

I just don't like how you put religious people under the roof of being against science and progress and advancement when it's not entirely true.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.