The Student Room Group

Buying a Ford KA - Rust?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gbduo
Lol, J.C. is in the motor trade...

And this man, who happens to share my sentiments, is a qualified engineer...

Sorry aidans34, but I'm not arguing with kids with big opinions and zippo real world experience.
Reply 21
Original post by aidans34
Good for him, but that begs the question even more as to why he hates every modern car apart from the Ford KA which is apparently wonderful. Its like being a hotel inspector and claiming the best place to say is Wandsworth prison

To be fair it is, it is cheap motoring at its finest, you buy a Ka for £500, when it goes wrong, you buy another for £500. Throw away motoring but if you buy well and go for a looked after engine, they are bulletproof.

Suspension and stuff, that is general wear and tear and if needs doing on an MOT, bin the car and get another with 12 months MOT. Sorted.
Reply 22
Original post by JC.
And this man, who happens to share my sentiments, is a qualified engineer...

Sorry aidans34, but I'm not arguing with kids with big opinions and zippo real world experience.

Well I have my own car business and so thats you merked about real world experience. You'd last 10 seconds working for me with your *as long as it doesn't blow up in a cloud of smoke its a good car* attitude. Come back to me when you've got a workshop and a forecourt.

Original post by gbduo
To be fair it is, it is cheap motoring at its finest, you buy a Ka for £500, when it goes wrong, you buy another for £500. Throw away motoring but if you buy well and go for a looked after engine, they are bulletproof.

Suspension and stuff, that is general wear and tear and if needs doing on an MOT, bin the car and get another with 12 months MOT. Sorted.

Its **** motoring, poor quality interior, slow engine, noisy and uncomfortable, im sorry but without the 1.6 engine the KA is rubbish. If your really pushed and want throw away motoring why not just buy an absolute banger for £200 which you can scrap for £100 whenever it goes wrong. For people actually looking for a decent car and who have a little bit more to play with go elsewhere and buy something decent.
Reply 23
Its a great first car, that is exactly what you want as a first car so if you crash it doesn't matter and you can aspire to something less ****.

It won't cost you anything
Reply 24
Original post by gbduo
Its a great first car, that is exactly what you want as a first car so if you crash it doesn't matter and you can aspire to something less ****.

It won't cost you anything

The crash protection is woeful, especially with the rust problems. I'm sorry but what you want as a first car is a GM Corsa 1.2 petrol SXi with around 60k on the clock, its fast enough to be interesting, slow enough so its not hard to cope with, comfortable, drives well and is solid if you crash it. The KA is crap unless you buy the 1.6 (which I admit is good fun), why are you so keen on it anyway? are you part of the KA owners club?
Reply 25
Is this guy for real?
This is funny - I'm getting popcorn.

I don't believe for a minute you're motor trade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by JC.
Is this guy for real?
This is funny - I'm getting popcorn.

I don't believe for a minute you're motor trade.

Its true whether you believe it or not, what do you do? fix Rovers for minimum wage?
Reply 27
Prove it. If you really are motor trade; what's a tabber?
Reply 28
Original post by JC.
Prove it. If you really are motor trade; what's a tabber?

I'm not a mechanic you fool I never said I was, I do car sales and procurement, yes we do some mechanical work in house but mostly we out source
...come on, anything but a Ford KA. (jk)
Reply 30
There's the proof.
You don't even have to have main dealer experience to know this one. Even the owner of a small independant will know what a tabber is and it ain't a car part!
Jesus, since you claim to be a buyer you'll be able to work it out - where do you get your prime stock from?
Reply 31
Original post by JC.
There's the proof.
You don't even have to have main dealer experience to know this one. Even the owner of a small independant will know what a tabber is and it ain't a car part!
Jesus, since you claim to be a buyer you'll be able to work it out - where do you get your prime stock from?

I presume you know what I mean when I say ATM? I don't use BCA because of indemnity, even for trade customers its absolutely ridiculous plus theres too many ****ed cars.
Reply 32
Obviously you'll know about auction4cars and will have an account with them yes?

p.s obviously there are many more but trade secrets are trade secrets and anyones welcome to BCA because they are **** and the other two are strictly monitored and therefore only avaliable for proper trade, not "I do up cars in my garage" trade
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Come on, even the kid that sweeps the floor knows what a tabber is....
EVERY salesperson will know this.
EVERY stock buyer will know this.

This is a widely used generic term in the motor trade. Next you'll be telling me you don't know what a cocker is either!
Reply 34
Original post by JC.
Come on, even the kid that sweeps the floor knows what a tabber is....
EVERY salesperson will know this.
EVERY stock buyer will know this.

This is a widely used generic term in the motor trade. Next you'll be telling me you don't know what a cocker is either!

Sorry you know what ATM stands for? I presume they've given you access as well? You seem to be retreating a little bit??
Reply 35
also whats your account DID mine is ****97?
Reply 36
Nope, never heard of it. Neither has my other half who's spent several years at business manager level @ vauxhall + Peugeot.
I haven't touched modern stock since 2010 in any case.

It's all very well being able to google little websites, but you don't seem to know even basic terms that rolls off the tongue of most people in the trade, particularly sales folk.

So you don't know what a tabber is, you don't know what a cocker is.

What about a dipper? - Now that's REALLY scraping the barrel!
Reply 37
Ok if I said the first word of ATM was Auto would you then get it? If you other half has had those positions then I can't see how she wouldn't have heard off it, Obviously I'm hinting at it there only because I know that unless your proper trade you don't have a cats chance in hell of being able to use it since the application process is an absolute bitch.

Also if I googled it how would I know about the DID number? if I google DID its not going to come up with anything motortrade, you do know what I mean by the DID number? at the top of portal?
Reply 38
Whats going on here? You were straight back before? your not trying to google all these things or ring around are you? I've not doubt your in the trade but theres a difference between driveway and forecourt traders, just seeing how much you can tell me about the latter. Perhaps you'd like to tell me about modifying Vcar entrys?
Reply 39
Original post by aidans34
The crash protection is woeful, especially with the rust problems. I'm sorry but what you want as a first car is a GM Corsa 1.2 petrol SXi with around 60k on the clock, its fast enough to be interesting, slow enough so its not hard to cope with, comfortable, drives well and is solid if you crash it. The KA is crap unless you buy the 1.6 (which I admit is good fun), why are you so keen on it anyway? are you part of the KA owners club?

Hell no, I have a S2000, I am in the 5 second club with that and I also have a XJ8 for the motorway cruise. I don't need to worry about a Ford KA! LOL.

However, my first car was Nova 1.3SR and it was awesome, absolutely bugger all power, but a reliable, honest engine with no electronic gimmicks or injection. The Ford KA as a modern car is about as close as you can get to that and its just a simple honest joe small car that is absolutely classless. I think they are great cars. That is not to say I would own one, but I have driven one and thought they were OK. They are no inspiration on what a car should be like but they are mega practical, economical and an honest car.

The Corsa is similar to that of course as it is the direct competition.

To be honest, I just found your statement about them being unreliable laughable given the numbers in which they sold and the amount still on the road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending