Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

To gap or not to gap, that is the question?

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people ask this all the time, but...I have a place at Leeds to study Economics and Management for 2012 entry. However, I now really want to take a gap year travelling across the USA with one of my friends.

Should I contact Leeds and ask to defer entry to the next year?

Also, we won't be 21 and are relying on not shaving to get served and gamble..should I wait until after Uni?

I really don't know what to do :s
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forget you KFC. Change your rules.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominicjohnson)
    I'm sure people ask this all the time, but...I have a place at Leeds to study Economics and Management for 2012 entry. However, I now really want to take a gap year travelling across the USA with one of my friends.

Also, we won't be 21 and are relying on not shaving to get served and gamble..should I wait until after Uni?

Go to uni in september, travel after, once you have turned 21.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiani-ani-on)
    Go to uni in september, travel after, once you have turned 21.
    why?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What will you do if you can't get served and gamble? America is quite tight on underage drinking if i'm not mistaken.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think gap years have to be all about drinking and gambling! If you want to take the break and spend time time hanging out with your friend meeting new people then you should defiantly consider it! Gap years are a great break and a great way to sort out your priorities...

If drinking and gambling really are a big deal to you- maybe consider travelling places where the age limit isn't such an issue like Australian or South East Asia.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that idea won't work in the states :p: They are red hot on underage drinking.

You could do america and not drink though, it's not *that* bad.

If you want a gap year go for it, I'd rather take a year and it fail than regret not trying...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they are red hot on underage drinking in cities, does anyone know about small towns?

It's so hard to make a decision! Drinking and gambling isn't everything - but if we went through Vegas, you want to experience it a little!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Well is the only reason why you'd be travelling to get pissed and gamble? If so, it's pretty uncertain whether you'd be able to. If not, go for it!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    why?
    Well although a gap year doesnt have to involve drinking etc, if you wait until you are 21 you'll have the option, also I think you'll need it more after uni, i've just finished this week and could do with a good break from work!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they are red hot on underage drinking in cities, does anyone know about small towns?

It's so hard to make a decision! Drinking and gambling isn't everything - but if we went through Vegas, you want to experience it a little!
    you would be better waiting until 21 if that's what you want from the states... seriously they are super strict... vegas is v. strict on its gambling.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to get caught by the cops if I was trying to get served for alcohol underage.
    You could always hope to run into some who are similar to Seth Rogen and Bill Hader :dontknow:

Superbad, for those who don't know what I'm talking about
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

You will most definitely still get ID'd and you're only allowed to stay in the US for up to 3 months a year. If that's the only country you're interested in visiting, I'd suggest working at a summer camp either this summer or next. But if you don't think your holiday will be ruined through being underage (and being identified as such in Vegas and other US places) then go for it. But how would you fill out the other 9 months of the year?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.