The Student Room Group

Medicine without chemistry A level

anyone have any ideas what I can do, im on for the grades for a medicine degree but didn't take chemistry at a-level?
What did you take?
Reply 2
Unfortunately chemistry is essential. You could try one of the foundation courses, they are designed to widen access.
Original post by Clare~Bear
What did you take?

Original post by Jed_
Unfortunately chemistry is essential. You could try one of the foundation courses, they are designed to widen access.

I took maths, further maths, physics and biology and yeah I had a look at the foundation courses, do you know the unis which offer them?
Original post by pepeeglesfield
I took maths, further maths, physics and biology and yeah I had a look at the foundation courses, do you know the unis which offer them?

It's unlikely you'll be able to get into the foundation courses, they don't really admit people who have even just biology let alone 4 sciences.
Reply 5
Are these a levels or as levels? If they're as levels, is there any way you could drop physics and further maths and do the whole chemistry a level in one year?
Reply 6
I took maths, further maths, physics and biology

UEA don't require Chemistry for Medicine. They only require Biology (full A-Level) and one other from Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

AAA to include Biology/Human Biology and one other science plus AS level grade B in a 4th subject

Second science subject from Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics.

NB. Combinations of Mathematics and Further Mathematics not accepted at A2/AS level. We are looking for 4 separate subjects, three at full A level and one at AS as a minimum. We consider Mathematics and Further Mathematics as one subject area.

General Studies and Critical Thinking not accepted at A2 or AS level.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine#requirements

You might have a problem with Further Maths though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
You might also be able to apply to Newcastle:
AAA including Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/entryrequirements/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
anyone have any ideas what I can do, im on for the grades for a medicine degree but didn't take chemistry at a-level?

Foundation courses would have been an option if the only science you had was Biology but like many have said, I think you may find it difficult to meet the criteria with your subjects. An option you can consider is doing AS Chemistry during your gap year as that will allow you to apply to certain medical schools which only require AS chemistry. Or you can do what I'm doing an take the whole A level in one year ( I also didn't have chemistry :tongue: )
Reply 9
How much maths do you need to know to get into medicine?
Yeah you would literally have too look through all of the undergrad courses to find the ones that will accept without chemistry.. there probably will be at least 2.
Are you in As or A2? If you are doing As you could possibly do As and A2 in one year. I only say this becuase at my old school my friend did it with biology, took As and A2 biologyin her year 13. However it would be upto your school, talk to them maybe if you think you could do it
You could enquire.
Otherwise you could do a science related degree and apply post grad or teach yourself A2 chemistry
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rival_

Most courses need B at GCSE and there is a maths section on the UKCAT
Reply 12
Original post by rival_

I think on average over all medical schools it would be GCSE Mathematics at grade A or B. Although some might accept a C, and Cambridge or Imperial might like A-Level.
Reply 13
The thing is, are you sure you want to do medicine? Because obviously there are ways you can be in a position to apply for medicine, eg. taking chemistry in one year, the few courses that don't ask for chem, foundation courses. But these things are annoyingly hard to do, and it's very hard to get in through these routes. Why didn't you take chemistry? Have you just decided you want to do medicine? Have you done work experience? Is it worth the effort, and the risk of not getting into medicine with only 2 choices available? Are there other medical-related courses that are easier to get into that I might like?

ask yourself these questions.
Reply 14
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist

Most courses need B at GCSE and there is a maths section on the UKCAT

But by the time you get to uni you'll have forgotten most of the gcse maths that you didnt use in chem or bio at as ?
Yeah but you revise for the UKCAT and you get an idea of what sort of maths questions they will ask

Quick Reply

Latest