The Student Room Group

Rounded up of Marks

Gooooooood Morning,

I received 68.5% for my Dissertation, which also makes me 1.5% off a First overall.

How disappointing!

However, my dissertation tutor said that the .5 may get rounded up, and then the ending in 9's are automatically rounded up.

"1.7. UABs should consider, unit by unit, the marks presented. The Board receives a list of student marks, presented to a single decimal place and confirms a mark expressed as an integer. In confirming the integer, the Board will usually round the mark. The UAB may translate that mark into a grade in accordance with the current “Examination and Assessment Regulations” of the University of Portsmouth.

1.8. Boards no longer need to consider marks at significant boundaries. It is now the policy of the University that all marks ending in a 9 will be rounded up to the next integer (so 39 become 40, 49 becomes 50 etc)"

Therefore, with the above, do you think they would round up 68.5 or is rounding it up essentially twice unlikely?
Reply 1
If it's their policy to round up as a matter of course, why do they even give half marks in the first place?:s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by hobnob
If it's their policy to round up as a matter of course, why do they even give half marks in the first place?:s-smilie:

There were three elements to my Dissertation; and once each one is weighted for the % worth it created the .5.

Otherwise, it would have been 69 and 68 separately, with 50/50 weighting; creating 68.5 overall.
Reply 3
Whats the point of them even awarding a 49, 59, 69 ect. then? If they know it'll get rounded up they might as well just give that mark themselves.
Going by maths, .5 and above will get rounded up. But i'm assuming they will review what grade they think it deserves and decide that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending