Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inspiron 15R?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've recently been looking for a laptop that I could take to Uni, and have it last until I leave, so around 4-5 years. I would like to use it for gaming, eg minecraft, sims, age of empires (old, I know!), portal 2, assassins creed etc etc.... obviously a gaming pc should be able to deal with most other things I can throw at it, so I don't think there'd be a problem with, for example, maths programs....

Anyway, basically what I'm asking is:
    1) Is it a good price for what I get?
    2) Will it be able to do the above?

Here's the details:

Base:
    Inspiron N5110 : Standard Base

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Memory:
    8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]

Keyboard
    Keyboard : Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard

Video Card
    1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M (Quad Core)

Hard Drive
    1TB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Drive

Optical Devices
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive

Wireless
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030, Bluetooth v3.0+HS - European

Primary Battery
    Primary 6-cell 48 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Processor
    2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

LCD
    15.6"(40 cm) High Definition (1366X768) WLED with True-Life

Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook

TOTAL :£548.10

I'm not particularly hardware literate, but I think that's pretty good

Thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi For what you're wanting, that laptop will do well - tons of RAM, decent CPU and a good GPU.

Have a look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqwe47t3rIE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4eT1hhe_LY

The answer to both of your questions is yes, in my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    The answer to both of your questions is yes, in my opinion.
    Hey

Thanks very much, I decided to get it
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathdragon5)
    Hey

Thanks very much, I decided to get it
    I would be more skeptical about the graphics card, those latest games, it's probably going to do ok around low and then any step up, it's going to struggle.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    where are you getting that price from?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've recently been looking for a laptop that I could take to Uni, and have it last until I leave, so around 4-5 years. I would like to use it for gaming, eg minecraft, sims, age of empires (old, I know!), portal 2, assassins creed etc etc.... obviously a gaming pc should be able to deal with most other things I can throw at it, so I don't think there'd be a problem with, for example, maths programs....

Anyway, basically what I'm asking is:
    1) Is it a good price for what I get?
    2) Will it be able to do the above?

Here's the details:

Base:
    Inspiron N5110 : Standard Base

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Memory:
    8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]

Keyboard
    Keyboard : Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard

Video Card

Hard Drive
    1TB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Drive

Optical Devices
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive

Wireless
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030, Bluetooth v3.0+HS - European

Primary Battery
    Primary 6-cell 48 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Processor
    2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

LCD
    15.6"(40 cm) High Definition (1366X768) WLED with True-Life

Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook

TOTAL :£548.10

I'm not particularly hardware literate, but I think that's pretty good

Thanks!
    Seriously where are you purchasing a laptop with an i7 for £550 :eek:
    I haven't seen any for under 600, and without a graphics card and Ram as good as that
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimmy)
    where are you getting that price from?

(Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    Seriously where are you purchasing a laptop with an i7 for £550 :eek:
    I haven't seen any for under 600, and without a graphics card and Ram as good as that
    Haha, research for the win. Okay, if you want it for £548, you'd better be quick, the 10% runs out today, but I guess there'll always be another voucher code that comes along soon enough otherwise it's £609 which is still a damn good price

Here's the link:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...iron-15r-n5110
    The voucher:
    http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/search/?q=dell&x=0&y=0
    or search "dell" in voucher codes if that link doesn't work

Hope that helps

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    I would be more skeptical about the graphics card, those latest games, it's probably going to do ok around low and then any step up, it's going to struggle.
    Yeah, I don't really have any more money to spend, so for the price its pretty amazing.... plus I swear if I have a dedicated graphics card that's i7, gonna be pretty beast?? I know it's only 2.2GHz but the quad core should make up for that :P anyways, thanks
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, research for the win. Okay, if you want it for £548, you'd better be quick, the 10% runs out today, but I guess there'll always be another voucher code that comes along soon enough otherwise it's £609 which is still a damn good price

Here's the link:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...iron-15r-n5110
    The voucher:
    http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/search/?q=dell&x=0&y=0
    or search "dell" in voucher codes if that link doesn't work

Hope that helps

Yeah, I don't really have any more money to spend, so for the price its pretty amazing.... plus I swear if I have a dedicated graphics card that's i7, gonna be pretty beast?? I know it's only 2.2GHz but the quad core should make up for that :P anyways, thanks
    All i intel processors have built in graphics, but compared to a decent dedicated graphics card they are just for entertainment purposes and maybe at most some light gaming on low settings in the recent games.
    Processor will run the game smoothly, but it won't make up for the graphics that much.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All i intel processors have built in graphics, but compared to a decent dedicated graphics card they are just for entertainment purposes and maybe at most some light gaming on low settings in the recent games.
    Processor will run the game smoothly, but it won't make up for the graphics that much.
    Ahh right I see, thanks..... however, sorry if I'm just being stupid.... but isn't the graphics card this?

Video Card

Which sounds dedicated?? I'm not sure if you missed that in the first post, or if I've totally got the wrong end of the stick :P

Cheers
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right I see, thanks..... however, sorry if I'm just being stupid.... but isn't the graphics card this?

Video Card

Which sounds dedicated?? I'm not sure if you missed that in the first post, or if I've totally got the wrong end of the stick :P

Cheers
    It's just that "1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M", I also said it should be decent, which this ain't when you compare them to your desktop counterpart this is in the low end area.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just that "1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M", I also said it should be decent, which this ain't when you compare them to your desktop counterpart this is in the low end area.
    Ooooh I see thanks, yeah, unfortunately for the money, there was little else I could find, I'll bear that in mind when I get my next one.

Cheers for the advice and help
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh I see thanks, yeah, unfortunately for the money, there was little else I could find, I'll bear that in mind when I get my next one.

Cheers for the advice and help
    Anyway good luck....if your honestly going to try playing on good graphic settings then make sure your hard drive is defragmentated and is as fast as possible. And set your laptop power to performance and if your driver for your graphics lets you, slightly tweak it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyway good luck....if your honestly going to try playing on good graphic settings then make sure your hard drive is defragmentated and is as fast as possible. And set your laptop power to performance and if your driver for your graphics lets you, slightly tweak it.
    Thanks and yeah, I know how to do the first two, I'll look up online how to optimise the third one again, thanks for that, hopefully it'll perform well, I don't expect to be playing on HD graphics or anything, but yeah, I'll use this if I fancy playing a higher setting

Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Video Card

Cheers
    I've got a Dell laptop similar to to the one you're looking to buy except mine's an XPS. It's got a 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 550M graphics card which easily runs games like Portal 2, Batman Arkham City and even Crysis 2 at high (though not ultra) settings.
    The 525M is only slightly inferior to the 550M so it is a very decent card and can handle games at high settings. (Any Nvidia card for laptops in the 500 series is great).
    Overall, the laptop you're looking at has fantastic specs, the only minor niggle being the 720p screen. But it's a fantastic price so you should go for it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChampEon)
    I've got a Dell laptop similar to to the one you're looking to buy except mine's an XPS. It's got a 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 550M graphics card which easily runs games like Portal 2, Batman Arkham City and even Crysis 2 at high (though not ultra) settings.
    The 525M is only slightly inferior to the 550M so it is a very decent card and can handle games at high settings. (Any Nvidia card for laptops in the 500 series is great).
    Overall, the laptop you're looking at has fantastic specs, the only minor niggle being the 720p screen. But it's a fantastic price so you should go for it.
    Ooh right cool, sounds great then! Yeah, I did, thought the price was a steal comparative to the other ones out there Just ordered it

Cheers!
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and yeah, I know how to do the first two, I'll look up online how to optimise the third one again, thanks for that, hopefully it'll perform well, I don't expect to be playing on HD graphics or anything, but yeah, I'll use this if I fancy playing a higher setting

Cheers
    But make sure, your laptop is well ventilated especially when gaming, cos it does heat up quite a bit.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    But make sure, your laptop is well ventilated especially when gaming, cos it does heat up quite a bit.
    Yeah, I bought one of those usb cooling stands for my old laptop, so I'll probably use that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.