Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best fullbacks in the world?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    easy....lahm,cole,alves,marcelo, maicon,abate{when is in form he is very very good},now new talented players in this position seem to be van der weil ,walker ,richards{even though i think of him more like a classical back}

{ramos from real isnt fullback he is back and center back he isnt that great fullback so stop mention him}
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take your pick between Abidal, Lahm, Cole, Ramos and Alves. If players like Piszczek, Coentrao, Marcelo, Maggio, Alba and Van Der Wiel and a few others keep performing at the same level, then they could be up there.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evra a season or so back was the best LB in the world.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Marcelo > Cole. Other than the usual suspects, Maggio and Alba have been good this year as well.
    Tbh, no one has been watching cole between september-january, he's been poor, same with petr cech. they've only really shone for the past 4 months. But he's been consistent every other season so I'll give him the benifit of the doubt and say he's better than marcelo especially defensive wise, Lahm is an absolute beast though.

Evra has gone downhill since maicon has. What are these guys talking about? He was ok in the 10-11 season, but he's been terrible this season. 09-10 season he was a beast though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Suprised nobody's mentioned Adriano, both footed , not too bad defensively & great offensively, may not be a stand out player due to the many positions he's deployed in, but he impresses me everytime I see him.

In terms of best fullbacks at the moment, you could probably narrow it down to only Lahm, Alves, Cole & Marcelo.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are fullbacks called fullbacks when they go foward more than centre halfs?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbh, no one has been watching cole between september-january, he's been poor, same with petr cech. they've only really shone for the past 4 months. But he's been consistent every other season so I'll give him the benifit of the doubt and say he's better than marcelo especially defensive wise, Lahm is an absolute beast though.
    I would say that Cole's performances being poor is more to do with the fact that the manager he was playing under was trying to play with tactics that were completely out of place with Chelsea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrically)
    Suprised nobody's mentioned Adriano, both footed , not too bad defensively & great offensively, may not be a stand out player due to the many positions he's deployed in, but he impresses me everytime I see him.

In terms of best fullbacks at the moment, you could probably narrow it down to only Lahm, Alves, Cole & Marcelo.
    I actually agree Adriano when i watch him play never makes a mistake, he tracks back well and offers support up front when needed. I havent actually seen him do anything bad or make an error. He may not be a stick out but his performances are always very solid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Take your pick between Abidal, Lahm, Cole, Ramos and Alves. If players like Piszczek, Coentrao, Marcelo, Maggio, Alba and Van Der Wiel and a few others keep performing at the same level, then they could be up there.
    Haven't Van Der Wiel and Coentrao had poor seasons?

Adriano is a decent shout it's just he isn't played enough. Brilliant squad player for Barca, can play in pretty much every position on the pitch except centre forward, but not really had a chance to prove himself.

I honestly don't think Evra has been the same since Torres and Gerrard destroyed him in 2009, others will disagree and I guess I don't watch Man U, but I've not seen him reach those levels again.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangeclouds)
    Haven't Van Der Wiel and Coentrao had poor seasons?

Adriano is a decent shout it's just he isn't played enough. Brilliant squad player for Barca, can play in pretty much every position on the pitch except centre forward, but not really had a chance to prove himself.

I honestly don't think Evra has been the same since Torres and Gerrard destroyed him in 2009, others will disagree and I guess I don't watch Man U, but I've not seen him reach those levels again.
    They've not been the best, but they're only young and they definitely have the talent to be up there with the best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    They've not been the best, but they're only young and they definitely have the talent to be up there with the best.
    I hate to say it, but I have a feeling Coentrao is doomed to be Madrid's Adriano, just shoehorned into whatever role is required for the team and never really holding down a starting berth. Marcelo is a terrific left back and Arbeloa is very steady defensively, and it's not like Madrid need the attacking impetus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lahm is the top fullback in my opinion. World class at RB but also good enough to function as a top LB, where he made his name. I think in a few matches this season he also featured as a defensive midfielder. Very balanced both offensively and defensively and has been keeping up a consistent standard of play for nearly four to five years. He is unlucky to have missed out some many important titles but he'll get one soon now that German football is gaining in strength. Another big plus to me is his role as captain for both Bayern and Germany, this shows he is well-respected and has a strong mentality.

I haven't seen much of Cole's game but I think he is top notch defensively and also maintains a high standard. So he comes in as close second.

The rest of the fullbacks are either just solid (e.g. Abidal, Piszcezk) or better offensively than defensively (e.g. Marcelo, Contraeo, Alves, Abate).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.