The Student Room Group

What's the best way....

to get into a vet or medicine course without science A Levels?

*BTW this is not what I want to do but I am just interested*

Option A) Complete AS year, drop all but one subject and try and do Chemistry and Biology in one year. Use school holidays to complete work experience (No extra sixth form, 5 years at uni but hard to pull off baring in mind you will need A's to stand a chance of getting in)

Option B) Restart A Levels and use the summer holidays to do work experience (1 extra year in sixth form, 5 years at uni)

Option C) Complete AS year, drop all but one and take biology to A2 and Chemistry AS in the second year. Then take a gap year and stock up on loads of work experience while taking A2 Chemistry
(Gap year plus 5 years at uni - Hard to self teach Chemistry unless you could go to school/college BUT you have a year to get lots of good work experience which might make the application more successful)

All of the above make you look a little fickle I guess, but give you more options as there are only a few places that offer foundation years or access courses for those without science A Levels

Option D) Apply for an extended uni course, I know it is 6 years for Vet Med at Bristol, and cram as much work experience into your summer holidays between AS and A2 as you can, and get lots planned after your application. (No extra sixth form, 6 years at uni, expensive option perhaps? - and last year 150 applicants applied for 5 places on Bristols course :eek::gasp:)

So considering time, effort and money what would you pick if you got to then end of your AS levels and decide medicine or veterinary science is for you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Restart you're A levels hopefull having already done AS biology will make bio easier and you will have more time to focus on chem and another subject/
If you take more than 3 years to complete all your alevels, most medical schools won't accept you, except for only a couple. I don't know what its like for vetinary though
D) or rather apply for an access course, they're a bit less competitive and cheaper iirc.
Reply 4
You can't complete A levels in 3 years for medicine without extenuating circumstances, almost every school doesn't allow it.
You may also not get the chance to choose when your work experience is, I didn't for 2/3 placements.
I'd look at foundation courses designed for those who don't have science A levels :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending