The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA B PSYB2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
anything that's due to come up again that hasn't in a while?
Original post by HollyBumblebee
you only have to know half the specification! don't confuse yourself with other sections your teacher hasn't taught you, as long as you know 1 section in each main section (A,B and C) you'll be fine :smile:

I know haha! It's just in case the 10 marker is bad for one of those sections etc.
I'm doing social influence, memory and anxiety disorders. Does anyone have any guesses for the memory 10 marker?
Original post by harrrrryyy06
I know haha! It's just in case the 10 marker is bad for one of those sections etc.

ohh i get it :smile: i'm sure they won't be bad :smile: they're usually ones we've had before, don't worry :smile:
Original post by LizzyMarrington
I'm doing social influence, memory and anxiety disorders. Does anyone have any guesses for the memory 10 marker?

i literally have no idea what the memory 10 marker will be!! i found that they asked the same 10 marker twice in a row once, my original guess was discuss the working memory model, but you never really know!
i literally have no idea what the memory 10 marker will be!! i found that they asked the same 10 marker twice in a row once, my original guess was discuss the working memory model, but you never really know!

Yeh i guess it's not good to guess, cos you never know really! Those examiners can be sly ones
My best advice is to do an example 10 marker for each one that could come up :smile:

http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/ has some brilliant resources check it out for them that need any help
Reply 47
Please could someone mark this, its Psychology A Unit 2.

Outline and evaluate one or more explanations of why people obey (12marks)

Milgram recruited 40 participants. There was a real participant and two confederates, the confederates played the parts of an experimenter and the reciever of the shocks (learner). The real participant had to ask the learner, who was in another room, questions and if they answered incorrectly then the participant was instructed to admister an electric shock, that gradually got larger, and went up to 450 volts. Unknown to the participant, the shocks were not real. Milgram found that 65% of participants continued to 450volts, and all participants, apart from 12.5% went to 300 volts. The findings show that ordinary people are surprisingly obedient to the authority of the experimenter. This study shows that people obey because of gradual commitment, as participants started at a low voltage and gradually went higher, it is difficult for them to stop because as it is going up little by little, it doesn't seem too much of a drastic change. Another reason why people obey is due to the role of buffers, as the real participant was in a seperate room to the learner, then the participant (teacher) could not see the consequences of rasing the voltage each time. As the participant was in the same room as the experimenter, then this means that the participant was more likely to listen to the experiementer because he is an authority figure and so the participant would not want to displease him. Furthermore, Milgram found thatan explantion for obedience is the agentic shift. This is when a person will be more likely to commit an act because they believe that they are carrying out the wishes and aims of another, in this case, the experimenter. A real life application that backs up this idea is when the Nazis were 'only following orders', when Hitler instructed them to gas the Jewish people. Although Milgram's study was useful, there was also a lot of ethical issues surrounding it. For example, although they had the right to withdraw, the experimenter was very forceful, and state things like 'the experiment requires that you continue'. Moreover, a psychologist disagreed with Milgram's study, claiming that he put them under massive amounts of stress that could have caused psychological damage. Milgram also decieved participants because he didnt tell them the true meaning of the experiment before it took place. Finally, although the experiment appeared useful, it was conducted in an artifical environment, and so it lacks in ecological validity and it cannot be generalised to the rest of the public, or the world for that matter because it was also an ethnocentric experiement as only Americans were used.
Reply 48
AO2 points for any models of memory? this book is only giving me 2-4 depending on which model I am looking at ? :frown:

I have a feeling for social psychology- normative and informational might come up ? or has that come up recently like reasons why people conform
Milgram always comes up, defiance of authority etc, so I'm thinking maybe question based on asch :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Please will someone do a clear summary/explanation that is easy to understand of the SAM system and stuff related to that?? It's what I'm struggling with the most, would be soooo appreciated x
Reply 50
anyone know how many mark a grade B or A is out of 60?
Sorry just a quick question
I got a b in unit 1 what overall mark would I get if I got a c or d on this unit?
Original post by lumayaa
AO2 points for any models of memory? this book is only giving me 2-4 depending on which model I am looking at ? :frown:

I have a feeling for social psychology- normative and informational might come up ? or has that come up recently like reasons why people conform
Milgram always comes up, defiance of authority etc, so I'm thinking maybe question based on asch :/

Multistore model:
+Good supporting evidence of displacement illustrating primacy and recency effect
-Evidence lacks eclogical validity (controlled conditions, task does not reflect natural settings) cannot be certain as to the extent to which findings will generalise back to natural settings
+Supported by studies of amnesiacs whose LTM and STM have been damaged independently suggesting they are seperate stores
-Only recognises rehearsal as a method for transferring information from STM to LTM - may be other factors such as level of processing
-Sees STM as too simplified - can be better explained by working memory model

Working memory model:
+ valuable insight into the complexities of the cognitive processes that occur in the STM
+neurological studies identifying brain structure associated with phonological loop provide good supporting evidence for the functional separation of the phonological store and articulatory rehearsal process
+Good supporting evidence from dual task studies to give evidence for the functional separation of the sub-systems
-Studies often involve controlled situations which lack ecological validity
-concept of central executive has remained vague even though it is the most important component

Levels of Processing:
+can be used to improve teaching and revision methods
+good supporting evidence
+can explain why we remember things that are important to us
-evidence lacks ecological validity
-ignores evidence from studies of amnesiacs which proves that STM and LTM are separate stores :smile:
Reply 53
Multistore model:
+Good supporting evidence of displacement illustrating primacy and recency effect
-Evidence lacks eclogical validity (controlled conditions, task does not reflect natural settings) cannot be certain as to the extent to which findings will generalise back to natural settings
+Supported by studies of amnesiacs whose LTM and STM have been damaged independently suggesting they are seperate stores
-Only recognises rehearsal as a method for transferring information from STM to LTM - may be other factors such as level of processing
-Sees STM as too simplified - can be better explained by working memory model

Working memory model:
+ valuable insight into the complexities of the cognitive processes that occur in the STM
+neurological studies identifying brain structure associated with phonological loop provide good supporting evidence for the functional separation of the phonological store and articulatory rehearsal process
+Good supporting evidence from dual task studies to give evidence for the functional separation of the sub-systems
-Studies often involve controlled situations which lack ecological validity
-concept of central executive has remained vague even though it is the most important component

Levels of Processing:
+can be used to improve teaching and revision methods
+good supporting evidence
+can explain why we remember things that are important to us
-evidence lacks ecological validity
-ignores evidence from studies of amnesiacs which proves that STM and LTM are separate stores :smile:

oh wow! thank you!!!!!
Original post by lumayaa
anyone know how many mark a grade B or A is out of 60?

January 2012 was 43 out of 60 for an A
Reply 55
you see the first question can you talk about normative ad informational social influence :frown: I think I done it wrong and was suppose to talk about stuff >.<
Lol, I remember having to do this exam. Its funny that A Level psychology has more memorising than uni psychology... silly.
Reply 57
Overall I think it was easy, I only put the multi store memory model as Baddeley and Hitch's, lol.
did anyone talk about size of group and difficulty of task as factors affecting conformity???? urgent reply !!!!!!:colondollar:
I thought that was pretty easy. Only question I feel dodgy about was "what might a cognitive psychologist do to help Anita?" I put about counterstatements... what else? I tagged on that he might help her reduce hypervigilance, but didn't have a clue how.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending