The Student Room Group

Should i complain, i think i should have got an A* in AS but got an A.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alevelsareboring
So for instance if i averaged 92% in AS and 88% in A2 would i miss out or achieve an A*?

Yes, you'd miss out. See my post on the previous page (post 17)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lfctv
HAHA, this is the funniest thread ever. Sorry mate its not that no one got an A* because that is IMPOSSIBLE in AS. Well done on the A though.

Lol thanks man, i really don't know why it isn't possible in AS though makes sense to get an A* in AS then A2 to get an A* than just getting one in A2 and getting an A* overall.

Lfc fan...8th...won't say too much :biggrin:
Reply 22
you can only achieve an A* at As level for the EPQ no other qualification.

All other subjects require 80% adverage over 2 years and 90% adverage counted from the A2 modules all scores are taken from UMS marks as an adverage of them.

The exception to this is for maths where 90% is only needed in the A2 core modules and not mechanics statistics or decision module for A2 as this would not be a fair comparison of candidates.

there's no doubt other exceptions but these are the main ones so in a word, no A* at As
Original post by Lfctv
btw, what year did u get these grades

Last summer so June 2011.
Original post by Fusion9
Same boat lol. I only found out I that the highest grade for AS was A after I'd done my AS exams. I even looked at the boundaries on AQAs website, but I couldn't see A* for AS subjects. I thought it was a mistake or something lol. Then my cousin laughed at me and did a facepalm.

Haha lol yeah i really feel a little dumb now but literally no one told me, you would think my English Teacher would at least mention it in passing conversation lol.
Original post by tpxvs
Lol, it doesn't exist at AS like everyone else has said. Don't worry i think loads of people are in a similar position to this, i only knew much later in the year haha. Well done though, and you're on route for that A* next summer :-)

Thanks :smile: is this like common knowledge to all A Level students then? Because i had no clue.
Original post by Flyteryder
You need 80% average of all the UMS, which is 320/400, with 90% from the A2 units, which is 180/200 (as AS is out of 200, and A2 is out of 200. You don't need 90% in AS to get an A*)

If you got 100% at AS and 89% at A2 you wouldn't get an A*, even if you got more UMS than 320, as you have to have 90% average from the A2 units, but only 80% of the overall UMS.

Thanks alot, that explains it clearly, that's kind of unfortunate though, i know some people who full marked the AS exam and it literally counts for nothing. But anyway i find the A2 module alot easier than the AS one for some reason so lets hope i get get 90% in the exam :smile:, going to be knee deep in books from now on!
Original post by bssjonny
How on earth have you manage to reach this stage and not know that lol

Lool i know it seems ridiculous now but i was never told, i don't know i thought any grade was possible at AS *facepalm*
Original post by Flyteryder
You need 80% average of all the UMS, which is 320/400, with 90% from the A2 units, which is 180/200 (as AS is out of 200, and A2 is out of 200. You don't need 90% in AS to get an A*)

If you got 100% at AS and 89% at A2 you wouldn't get an A*, even if you got more UMS than 320, as you have to have 90% average from the A2 units, but only 80% of the overall UMS.

This is entirely true, but it does point out the ridiculousness of the whole system. It seems so unfair that someone who could get 95% over the two years and 100% at AS could get an A while someone who got 70% in AS and 80% over the two years could get an A*...
Original post by OSharp
you can only achieve an A* at As level for the EPQ no other qualification.

All other subjects require 80% adverage over 2 years and 90% adverage counted from the A2 modules all scores are taken from UMS marks as an adverage of them.

The exception to this is for maths where 90% is only needed in the A2 core modules and not mechanics statistics or decision module for A2 as this would not be a fair comparison of candidates.

there's no doubt other exceptions but these are the main ones so in a word, no A* at As

Thanks alot man!
Reply 30
Lol thanks man, i really don't know why it isn't possible in AS though makes sense to get an A* in AS then A2 to get an A* than just getting one in A2 and getting an A* overall.

Lfc fan...8th...won't say too much :biggrin:

lol cheers, hopefully we'll get a manager soon. Hoping guardiola, knowing it will be martinez
Original post by SparksInTheSky
This is entirely true, but it does point out the ridiculousness of the whole system. It seems so unfair that someone who could get 95% over the two years and 100% at AS could get an A while someone who got 70% in AS and 80% over the two years could get an A*...

I know it really is stupid, but i think it's because A2 is regarded as being harder and more challenging than AS, so your A2 grade counts alot more than your AS exam. It really is stupid though but whatever, my friends don't even know i guess there all going to be be bummed when they find out their full marked AS mark counts for NOTHING.
Original post by Lfctv
lol cheers, hopefully we'll get a manager soon. Hoping guardiola, knowing it will be martinez

I hope you guys get AVB, i think he'd be revolutionary for your club, probably bring in alot of young quick passing foreign stars and make you guys play attractive football. That's what he was trying to do at Chelsea but they weren't patient with him.

I can't really talk as an Arsenal fan *hidefaceinshame* lol no trophy for the 7th year...really. At least you guys won something, can't put in to words the jealousy i felt when Man City were celebrating the league, Chelsea the Fa Cup and CL and you guys with the Carling Cup. Yeah we got 3rd and automatic qualification to a cup that we will no doubt be knocked out of by any English team or Barcelona by the the Quater final stage, i mean is it really worth it?
18 THUMBS DOWN, that is ridiculous what the hell? People are too sensitive on here man lighten up, life isn't that hard.
Reply 34
Hi, i'm doing AQA English Literature (LITB) and i think my AS exam was given the wrong grade.

The reason i think this is because, i got 108 UMS marks out of 120, on the AQA website, the UMS mark trend is that it goes up 12 for each grade. So for instance a B grade is 84 and an A is 96, from that i would think that 108 would be an A*, but on the website the A* column is left blank??

Does that mean no-one doing the syllabus got an A* so there is no official grade boundary for an A*? The reason i'm asking this is because i'm in A2 and sitting my A2 exam on June 20th, i left the exam last year thinking i would just scrape a C and ended up with an A, i was literally gobsmacked, i didn't think it was that good. Turns out i got 108 which looks like a really high A as 96 UMS marks is the lowest A you can get.

Should i phone AQA up and try and get my grade changed or just ask them why their isn't a grade boundary for A*. My AS coursework was a mark off an A* and the AS exam i'm talking about could possibly be an A*, i just got my A2 coursework grades and i got an A* in both courseworks, so if i could get an A* overall it would really help my application as i need an AAB to study law and i think i might get B's in my other two subjects. HELP! Also i do NOT want to get it remarked, frankly i don't know how i got an A, i finished the paper but wasn't confident about it at all, don't really want to take the chance of it getting lowered by another examiner as English is subjective

This is very common for people to ask, not many people know. Teachers are always going on about A*s but fail to tell us that there isn't any in AS.
You'll get predicted A* next year so don't worry. Well done on the grade awesome grade for English.
Original post by Wired_In
This is very common for people to ask, not many people know. Teachers are always going on about A*s but fail to tell us that there isn't any in AS.
You'll get predicted A* next year so don't worry. Well done on the grade awesome grade for English.

Thanks alot man!
You dun goofed OP, although in fairness my further maths teacher is still convinced you can get an A* at AS so you're not alone.
Reply 37
BTW, why do i have 9 thumbs down, who did i offend with my post?

me cos it was really stupid. you cant get A*s at AS.
18 THUMBS DOWN, that is ridiculous what the hell? People are too sensitive on here man lighten up, life isn't that hard.

It's TSR, no honest mistakes allowed :tongue:
Thanks alot, that explains it clearly, that's kind of unfortunate though, i know some people who full marked the AS exam and it literally counts for nothing. But anyway i find the A2 module alot easier than the AS one for some reason so lets hope i get get 90% in the exam :smile:, going to be knee deep in books from now on!

When you do go onto A2, you won't get an A* for each unit, only overall. So if you get 90% or over on your coursework and/or exam, you will be awarded an A grade for those units, as there are no A*'s for each individual unit, even at A2. You are only awarded an A* for the whole A-level.

Thought I'd say that if in case next March you've gotten over 90% in the A2 coursework and wonder why you've got an A grade for it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending