Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trailer for The Great Gatsby (2012) is released - what do you think?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Will you be watching The Great Gatsby?
    Yes
    77.78%
    Possibly
    13.33%
    No
    8.89%

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sceptical about it - I can't see any reason why Luhrmann feels the need to remake a film adaptation which has been done five times before. I'm genuinely worried that years from now people will only remember this film and forget that the novel encompasses so much more than any film ever could. On another note, I think the 1974 version was as close to perfect as any adaptation of TGG could ever come. I doubt that I'll be going to see this in December.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see it. I've seen the 1974 version and although I think Mia Farrow is perfect the other characters don't really fit the ones in my mind so I'll be interested to see if this one does it any better.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Robert Redford's adaptation was a bit dull, Baz Luhrmann's - whatever the overall quality - will surely be the opposite of this. His films tend to be a bit spectacle over story, but we shall see. Not 100% sold on the casting, I am unconvinced about Tobey Maguire's ability to make more than two facial expressions.
    I do love Carey Mulligan though. And it comes out at Christmas which is nice.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dothestrand)
    I am unconvinced about Tobey Maguire's ability to make more than two facial expressions.
    This.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bought the book a few week back. Gonna try get it read before the film is released. Baz Luhrmann is a crazy motherhubbard of a director.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Who the hell pos repped this comment?!?
    Ever heard of something called an opinion?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAditi)
    Ever heard of something called an opinion?
    Ever heard of something called an 'adaptation'? As in, not exact to the way you thought it would be filmed? Have you seen a Baz Luhrmann film before?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked how they cast Mulligan as Daisy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks absolutely terrible, but still better than the Robert Redford version; that scene with the shirts is hilariously bad.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Ever heard of something called an 'adaptation'? As in, not exact to the way you thought it would be filmed? Have you seen a Baz Luhrmann film before?
    I like how you assume that I'm ignorant.
    Miraculously enough, not only have I heard of something called an adaptation, I have also seen a Baz Luhrmann film before!

All I was doing was stating my opinion. The Great Gatsby is a book that is close to me, and I would hate for it to be butchered. Maybe the film will end up being fantastic. I, personally do not want to watch anything that will destroy the image of Fitzgerald's story in my mind.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    LEONARDO DICAPRIO-YESSSSSS. I quite like him in this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like how you assume that I'm ignorant.
    Miraculously enough, not only have I heard of something called an adaptation, I have also seen a Baz Luhrmann film before!

All I was doing was stating my opinion. The Great Gatsby is a book that is close to me, and I would hate for it to be butchered. Maybe the film will end up being fantastic. I, personally do not want to watch anything that will destroy the image of Fitzgerald's story in my mind.
    I like how you assume that I think that you're ignorant

The Great Gatsby is a book that is close to me. If you think it's going to be butchered, don't watch it. Personally I think that it will be close to Fitzgerald's story, and I'm glad it's not going down the stuffy BBC period drama look that the 1974 adaptation did. Of course you can't guess how the film will turn out based on two minutes of clips, so I'll keep an open mind.

(I also don't understand why you decided to call Carey Mulligan out on not being 'breathtakingly beautiful'. Not only is that insulting, it doesn't make sense: not once in the book is Daisy described as being some sort of great beauty. I could understand you thinking that she was a terrible actress - I would have disagreed with you, mind - but insisting she wasn't right for the part because she's not beautiful seems kind of odd, IMO.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty surprised at the positive consensus here. Most other online threads I've read have really slated it.

I've read the book and this trailer seriously disappointed me. I'm not a book purist in ANY sense, either, and don't mind at all when less consequential changes are made, but the trailer hasn't captured the book's subtlety at all. The whole thing looks hideously over the top and gaudy, a few of the characters seem very miscast, the Gatsby/Daisy relationship seems overly sexualised and the music is TERRIBLE. There is wayyy too much emphasis on Gatsby's parties in the trailer, which I really hope doesn't translate to the film. All in all, it pretty much confirms my initial suspicion that Baz Lurhmann shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near an adaptation of this. Ugh.

To add insult to injury, it's coming out in 3D. The Great Gatsby. In 3D. Christ.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what everyone's problem with the trailer music is. Not only is the trailer music rarely used in the actual movie, the songs chosen do have links with the story of Gatsby - i.e. 'love is blindness' could be interpreted as Gatsby's love for Daisy being blind. Did everyone want Jazz music relevant to 1922 or something? Slightly off-topic, but this response reminds me of the trailer music used for The Artist last year. Lots of people on Youtube got pissed off because Sing Sing Sing was used, for the simple reason that The Artist was set in the late 1920's and Sing Sing Sing wasn't released until 1936 :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this. Some people are getting awfully wound up about the trailer, but I find it closer to how I found the novel than the Robert Redford version. I'm really glad it doesn't look like a period drama, because that's not how I envisioned Fitzgerald's story. I imagined a fast-paced, glamorous, glittering world, and though you can't accurately judge a movie based on a two minute trailer, Baz Luhrmann's interpretation seems rather true to form.

(My only reservation is that it's in 3D. I hope my cinema will screen the 2D version instead; I can't stand 3D.)

And Mulligan simply ISN'T Daisy. She is NOT breathtakingly beautiful or any of that.
    Lovely. Well, seeing as The Great Gatsby is a novel close to you, tell me where in the book it describes Daisy as being 'breathtakingly beautiful'. Because I don't remember that part.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaði)
    I don't see what everyone's problem with the trailer music is. Not only is the trailer music rarely used in the actual movie, the songs chosen do have links with the story of Gatsby - i.e. 'love is blindness' could be interpreted as Gatsby's love for Daisy being blind. Did everyone want Jazz music relevant to 1922 or something? Slightly off-topic, but this response reminds me of the trailer music used for The Artist last year. Lots of people on Youtube got pissed off because Sing Sing Sing was used, for the simple reason that The Artist was set in the late 1920's and Sing Sing Sing wasn't released until 1936 :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this. Some people are getting awfully wound up about the trailer, but I find it closer to how I found the novel than the Robert Redford version. I'm really glad it doesn't look like a period drama, because that's not how I envisioned Fitzgerald's story. I imagined a fast-paced, glamorous, glittering world, and though you can't accurately judge a movie based on a two minute trailer, Baz Luhrmann's interpretation seems rather true to form.

(My only reservation is that it's in 3D. I hope my cinema will screen the 2D version instead; I can't stand 3D.)

Lovely. Well, seeing as The Great Gatsby is a novel close to you, tell me where in the book it describes Daisy as being 'breathtakingly beautiful'. Because I don't remember that part.
    Your signature = :love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Your signature = :love:
    Hee-hee I love Alexander Rybak. My love knows no bounds, etc. :heart:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the casting, particularly for Nick, is spot on. DiCaprio could pull off a good Gatsby - Redford was abit too nervous, less cool and calm than I imagined from the novel.

I think it looks interesting - what the older version lacked was the glitz and excitement that the Jazz age epitomises. It looks good, i'll reserve my judgement until i've seen the film - in 2D mind.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5570
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Who would you rather have?
    Christian bale.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katetaylor)
    I think the casting, particularly for Nick, is spot on. DiCaprio could pull off a good Gatsby - Redford was abit too nervous, less cool and calm than I imagined from the novel.

I think it looks interesting - what the older version lacked was the glitz and excitement that the Jazz age epitomises. It looks good, i'll reserve my judgement until i've seen the film - in 2D mind.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5570
    Spiderman as nick carraway. mmhh.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaza01)
    Spiderman as nick carraway. mmhh.
    Ahh, but he's no longer Spiderman! I think he has the discretion of Nick. Also, the voice. Considering he narrates most of the story, he has to have an easy voice.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 5, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.