The Student Room Group

Medicine - A realistic option?

Hi,

I'm currently sitting my AS levels and I had a few questions. Ok so basically I've had a few exams already and they're really not going well. Recently my father had a heart attack and it's been really stressful in the house. I'm also currently on medication that results in a lack of concentration and I also get tired alot more easily.

Anyway, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and was hoping to continue with all of these to A2 (am taking further maths but I'll drop to single). My 1st biology exam went ok, the second not so well - same with chemistry. My physics wen't ok and 2/3 of my maths exams went well. I still have 1 physics and 1 maths paper remaining.

Ever since I was little I've wanted to study medicine, but not only that, at a university I've really respected - mainly UCL, Imperial or Cambridge.

So my question is this, if I was to not get straight As in my exams, in light of recent circumstances would you advise me to still apply to the universities of my choosing? Or to resit my AS-Levels (and drop a year behind the rest of my cohort). If I did apply I'm sure I could get a letter from my tutor and from my assistant head of the college explaining the circumstances. I'm sure I'll get at least a B in each of my subjects. I also achieved 7 A*s and 3As at GCSE.

Sorry for the long post but PLEASE do read it all and get back to me if you can.

Thanks.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1905992

visit this thread, there are plenty of apsiring medics our age. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringGenius
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1905992

visit this thread, there are plenty of apsiring medics our age. :smile:

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look.

The reason I made this thread was that my question is quite specific so I was looking for some specific advice :P
I haven't got the authority, I am you age. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by FailedMyExams

The only way that the 'poorer' grades will be excused is if you're able to get your situation branded as 'extenuating circumstances'. Now, I put 'poorer' in inverted commas because all Bs isn't bad at all, although it's understandable that you could do with better for medicine. If your situation is not viewed as extenuating circumstances, all Bs at AS level may indeed count against you.

However, this shouldn't stop you from applying after having explained your situation to your school/college tutors and getting predicted AAA, in the hope that you might be fortunate; nor should it stop you from achieving AAA or better at A2 if you are capable.

In the latter event, you would be free to reapply to the universities of your choosing although you should avoid Cambridge as they will be interested in your UMS scores, which are presumably below 80% (not really good enough unless you're under extenuating circumstances). With already achieved grades of AAA, you will pass most universities' initial academic screening with no problems.

Now, on the subject of extenuating circumstances, I'm not sure that yours will cut it. Your medication may make you tired, but this isn't as bad as serious and debilitating illness. You would have to find a doctor willing to sympathise enough to give a doctor's note for this to work. Also, although it's a close call, this isn't the death of a family member, which would be one of the usual extenuating circumstances. By all means, explain to universities (at the start of the application) your situation and hopefully they will be lenient, but you may not quite have enough going for you, I'm afraid. If this is the case and you are made no offers, do as I mentioned before and apply with achieved grades the following year.

If you do get extenuating circumstances, make sure to ace the BMAT/UKCAT to be recognised as able.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I have nothing productive to say but just wanna offer a hug about your dad. My dad too, had a heart attack and it really is a horrible thing to go through as a family.

Sending you strength :biggrin: xx
Reply 6
Hi,

I'm currently sitting my AS levels and I had a few questions. Ok so basically I've had a few exams already and they're really not going well. Recently my father had a heart attack and it's been really stressful in the house. I'm also currently on medication that results in a lack of concentration and I also get tired alot more easily.

Anyway, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and was hoping to continue with all of these to A2 (am taking further maths but I'll drop to single). My 1st biology exam went ok, the second not so well - same with chemistry. My physics wen't ok and 2/3 of my maths exams went well. I still have 1 physics and 1 maths paper remaining.

Ever since I was little I've wanted to study medicine, but not only that, at a university I've really respected - mainly UCL, Imperial or Cambridge.

So my question is this, if I was to not get straight As in my exams, in light of recent circumstances would you advise me to still apply to the universities of my choosing? Or to resit my AS-Levels (and drop a year behind the rest of my cohort). If I did apply I'm sure I could get a letter from my tutor and from my assistant head of the college explaining the circumstances. I'm sure I'll get at least a B in each of my subjects. I also achieved 7 A*s and 3As at GCSE.

Sorry for the long post but PLEASE do read it all and get back to me if you can.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with CraigKirk on this. I'm sorry to say, but I think B's could put you at somewhat of a disadvantage because the competition is so tough out there now :redface: . Also, I understand that those are the universities that you respect, but given that Cambridge are often looking for very high UMS (there are, of course, exceptions) and UCL look at resits, I think you should be prepared to look into some other universities. They're all accredited by the GMC and in the end, your FY1 application doesn't even take into account what university you went to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CraigKirk
The only way that the 'poorer' grades will be excused is if you're able to get your situation branded as 'extenuating circumstances'. Now, I put 'poorer' in inverted commas because all Bs isn't bad at all, although it's understandable that you could do with better for medicine. If your situation is not viewed as extenuating circumstances, all Bs at AS level may indeed count against you.

However, this shouldn't stop you from applying after having explained your situation to your school/college tutors and getting predicted AAA, in the hope that you might be fortunate; nor should it stop you from achieving AAA or better at A2 if you are capable.

In the latter event, you would be free to reapply to the universities of your choosing although you should avoid Cambridge as they will be interested in your UMS scores, which are presumably below 80% (not really good enough unless you're under extenuating circumstances). With already achieved grades of AAA, you will pass most universities' initial academic screening with no problems.

Now, on the subject of extenuating circumstances, I'm not sure that yours will cut it. Your medication may make you tired, but this isn't as bad as serious and debilitating illness. You would have to find a doctor willing to sympathise enough to give a doctor's note for this to work. Also, although it's a close call, this isn't the death of a family member, which would be one of the usual extenuating circumstances. By all means, explain to universities (at the start of the application) your situation and hopefully they will be lenient, but you may not quite have enough going for you, I'm afraid. If this is the case and you are made no offers, do as I mentioned before and apply with achieved grades the following year.

If you do get extenuating circumstances, make sure to ace the BMAT/UKCAT to be recognised as able.

Thanks alot buddy, I'm not sure if I understood that right though, you said I should attempt to get an AAA overall and then apply to universities? So apply after my A2s? I have got a doctors letter and it would be very easy to get references from my college as I've awared them of the situation every step of the way, I currently get breaks as I please during exams.

Also, any thoughts on the prospect of resitting AS levels?

Original post by s_axo
I have nothing productive to say but just wanna offer a hug about your dad. My dad too, had a heart attack and it really is a horrible thing to go through as a family.

Sending you strength :biggrin: xx

Thanks alot, yeah it's been really hard. Usually I can take anything, but when it comes to family matters everything hits home 10x harder.
Reply 8
Thanks alot buddy, I'm not sure if I understood that right though, you said I should attempt to get an AAA overall and then apply to universities? So apply after my A2s? I have got a doctors letter and it would be very easy to get references from my college as I've awared them of the situation every step of the way, I currently get breaks as I please during exams.

Thanks alot, yeah it's been really hard. Usually I can take anything, but when it comes to family matters everything hits home 10x harder.

I think it'd be bestcontact the universities that you're considering and actually ask them how your circumstances will be considered. If they really aren't fond of the prospect of you resitting, then I think applying after A2 is best. Some universities will be alright with it, others may be rather unhappy about it.

Sorry you're going through such hard times, but I'm sure things will pick up for you soon. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Hootie*
Yeah, I agree with CraigKirk on this. I'm sorry to say, but I think B's could put you at somewhat of a disadvantage because the competition is so tough out there now :redface: . Also, I understand that those are the universities that you respect, but given that Cambridge are often looking for very high UMS (there are, of course, exceptions) and UCL look at resits, I think you should be prepared to look into some other universities. They're all accredited by the GMC and in the end, your FY1 application doesn't even take into account what university you went to.

Ok thanks, don't get me wrong I don't dislike any of the universities, those are just the ones I've always wanted to go to. The problem is though, there are so many students applying for medicine now that nearly all the universities have high entry requirements.

Original post by Hootie*
I think it'd be bestcontact the universities that you're considering and actually ask them how your circumstances will be considered. If they really aren't fond of the prospect of you resitting, then I think applying after A2 is best. Some universities will be alright with it, others may be rather unhappy about it.

Sorry you're going through such hard times, but I'm sure things will pick up for you soon. :smile:

Yeah I'll give them a ring on friday when all my exams are over. You said apply at the end of A2, I would be applying for entry in September 2014 right? So either way, applying after I get my A2 results, or resitting the whole AS year will put me a year behind the rest of my cohort, right?

Thanks for the wishes, it means a lot, if anything this whole experience has made me want to study medicine more. I owe a lot to the doctors that treated my dad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Pardon me if I read this wrong from your OP, but I will say this now DO NOT HOLD BACK A YEAR, many universities will knock you straight down for sitting your A-Levels in 3 years rather then two, so it is in your best interest to ace your next 2 exams and then do any required resits, checking which universities accept resits. I believe that when you do a resit they expect an A* in the topic you resat I am not too sure

Hope it all goes well, my best wishes to your father

sources- potential medic :smile:
Reply 11
Make sure that you pick the medical schools that fit your situation.
If they have lower grade requirements, go for that Uni.
If you don't do well in the UKCAT, make sure you don't apply to a University that puts a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT.
Etc.

If you are really that worried about your A levels, you could always apply for a science degree and go for a postgraduate medicine degree.
I'm confused. I don't see why this even has to reach medschools. If your teachers understand that your AS performance is a result of difficult circumstances at home, then there should be no problem getting A*/A predictions for next year - and therefore no problems (from grades perspective) about getting an offer.

If you have to display your AS level grades, then a reference explaining your difficult circumstances and why you can still be assured to get A*/As next year should hopefully suffice?

Can you achieve A*/As next year? Surely you can, as next year things shouldn't be as stressful and you won't be taking these medications. You can retake your worst AS level exams during your A2 year.

I don't think you should (or it is necessary) to retake the year. In fact, I very strongly advise against it!

If the AS grades count against you (in the sense that medschools don't believe your predictions), then you may simply have to wait until you've completed your A-levels and then apply with your A2 grades in hand.

If Cambridge look at UMS (which is what people are saying), then you shouldn't apply there.
Original post by Reversal

If you are really that worried about your A levels, you could always apply for a science degree and go for a postgraduate medicine degree.

People always bring this up as an option, but it's an extremely undesireable one.

Sure, if you're willing to spend 3 extra years, and can produce £27,000 (or possibly even more, by the time you graduate) to pay up front for the non-NHS subsidised years of your medical degree, not to mention the living cost of not earning for that amount of time. And that's if you get a place, which is actually a super bitchin' task at graduate level.

If it is at all possible to get the necessary A*/As at A2, and then just reapply the next year with them in hand, this is always preferable. You can also gain medical experience, work, travel, do something useful with this extra year.

(I am sorry Reversal for picking so harshly on your post x)
Reply 14
Original post by BeanofJelly
People always bring this up as an option, but it's an extremely undesireable one.

Sure, if you're willing to spend 3 extra years, and can produce £27,000 (or possibly even more, by the time you graduate) to pay up front for the non-NHS subsidised years of your medical degree, not to mention the living cost of not earning for that amount of time. And that's if you get a place, which is actually a super bitchin' task at graduate level.

If it is at all possible to get the necessary A*/As at A2, and then just reapply the next year with them in hand, this is always preferable. You can also gain medical experience, work, travel, do something useful with this extra year.

(I am sorry Reversal for picking so harshly on your post x)

It's honestly fine :smile: I was just bringing that up as a last resort option. If you want to be a doctor that much, I guess it wouldn't matter how much it cost :smile:
Original post by Reversal
Make sure that you pick the medical schools that fit your situation.
If they have lower grade requirements, go for that Uni.
If you don't do well in the UKCAT, make sure you don't apply to a University that puts a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT.
Etc.

Lol yeah, the problem is pretty much every medschool focusses heavily on A levels. As for a postgraduate into medicine, I suppose that's an option - but to be honest that would be my last resort, I really don't want to have to spend years doing something else unless it's the only way into medschool.

Original post by BeanofJelly
I'm confused. I don't see why this even has to reach medschools. If your teachers understand that your AS performance is a result of difficult circumstances at home, then there should be no problem getting A*/A predictions for next year - and therefore no problems (from grades perspective) about getting an offer.

If you have to display your AS level grades, then a reference explaining your difficult circumstances and why you can still be assured to get A*/As next year should hopefully suffice?

Can you achieve A*/As next year? Surely you can, as next year things shouldn't be as stressful and you won't be taking these medications. You can retake your worst AS level exams during your A2 year.

I don't think you should (or it is necessary) to retake the year. In fact, I very strongly advise against it!

If the AS grades count against you (in the sense that medschools don't believe your predictions), then you may simply have to wait until you've completed your A-levels and then apply with your A2 grades in hand.

If Cambridge look at UMS (which is what people are saying), then you shouldn't apply there.

Unfortunately AS module marks get sent to universities now. It just to be just based off of A2 predictions, which were based on your AS results, now the actual results go to the university. And yeah I'll send a letter along, but now some of the posts have in this thread have worried me about whether my situation will suffice! :frown:

Yes, I mean to apply after your A2s, i.e. take a gap year.

Although, if you do have a doctors letter, then you're closer to extenuating circumstances so you could try to be given special consideration by your university choices. Furthermore, if you're still set on Cambridge, CSAS is available to applicants like yourself (you should research this).

As for resits, they won't, in general, make much difference as long as you get AAA overall at A2. This is because by October when you apply, the only evidence so far of your ability will be your GCSEs, UKCAT/BMAT and your AS Levels. They can't gauge how good you are on the resits you haven't done, so it won't affect your chances of receiving an offer. However, if you intend to resit to get the AAA at A2, then this would be fine (Hootie* mentions that UCL look at resits, so be careful and apply strategically).
Lol yeah, the problem is pretty much every medschool focusses heavily on A levels.

Some have a more lenient attitude than others. There's a wiki here somewhere which gives their requirements, or you could look at applicant profiles (also on here) to give you an idea of which.

Unfortunately AS module marks get sent to universities now.

I can see why that makes things awkward for you. But at worst, all this means is that your application will be put back a year (ofc assuming it would be successful otherwise), until you have your grades in hand. And I guess some of your top choices might be out of the window :s-smilie:

It is still worth applying this year, and I suppose the best you can do is to get those A* predictions, and have a letter/reference which emphasises the circumstances leading to your AS results. I don't really have the knowledge (and also I'm a bit out of date), to say how disadvantaged you will be.

As a little extra advice, imo there are two sensible ways to choose which medschool's you should apply to - "I like the idea of doing medicine there" and "I think they'll take me!!". And the second is most important because it gets you an offer. Sometimes if you're lucky they line up. But if the places you want to go aren't the places that will take you - don't put all your eggs in a rather shaky basket. Apply to at least 1 or 2 on the basis that they'll take you. You'll still be a doctor after all.
And definitely don't pick somewhere for the reason "it's prestigious" - because you'll still be a doctor after all, and its more important that you actually like the course, and even more important that you'll get an offer at all.

Not saying that you are - because Cambridge, UCL and imperial are all 6 year inc BSci courses, so you're fairly consistent :p:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending