Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel completely hopeless because I've failed exams

Announcements Posted on

I just had the last of my AS exams today and, just as all of my other ones, I'm pretty sure I did badly in it. I did well in all my past papers but I'll probably come out with like BCCD. I honestly don't know what to do. I feel so useless and worried that I'll never be able to get a decent job because i'll end up getting a degree from a bad uni.
    I know people say "it's not the end of the world" but for me it really is. I live in a horrible little Northern town with virtually no friends outside of college and I dislike most of my family. The prospect of going to uni and moving to London was the only dream keeping me going but now it's pretty much been eliminated.
    I know there are retakes but unis will make offers based on my AS grades and if I don't get any decent offers then I'll have to take a gap year, and I really don't know if I can stay here an extra year.
    I honestly think that results day is going to send me off the rails. Does anybody have any advice? I just have no idea what I'm going to do if I can't get out of this town.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just stay calm. You haven't actually got your results yet, so remain hopeful.

If the worst does occur doing better in A2 followed by a gap year and reapplication after that is a feasible choice and is certainly not frowned upon-especially down the line when applying for jobs etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inadequatedreams)
    You may have done badly.
    But It's okay.
    I mean, you still have your health and family and dreams ohh......
    hilarious :rolleyes:
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you get your results before you start stressing. And you can always appeal if you have the material. I got a C in my Chemistry and it was appealed up to a B because all my prelims and NABs had been As. This was 3 years ago mind.

Oh I feel old.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just had the last of my AS exams today and, just as all of my other ones, I'm pretty sure I did badly in it. I did well in all my past papers but I'll probably come out with like BCCD. I honestly don't know what to do. I feel so useless and worried that I'll never be able to get a decent job because i'll end up getting a degree from a bad uni.
    I know people say "it's not the end of the world" but for me it really is. I live in a horrible little Northern town with virtually no friends outside of college and I dislike most of my family. The prospect of going to uni and moving to London was the only dream keeping me going but now it's pretty much been eliminated.
    I know there are retakes but unis will make offers based on my AS grades and if I don't get any decent offers then I'll have to take a gap year, and I really don't know if I can stay here an extra year.
    I honestly think that results day is going to send me off the rails. Does anybody have any advice? I just have no idea what I'm going to do if I can't get out of this town.
    Even if you did get BCCD, it is still possible to get AAAA. So, it still won't be the end of the world even if you get those grades, but you will have to ace your A2s.

Also, you should be more confident in yourself. If you think you got BCCD and you did well in your past papers, then chances are you may have gotten something more like ABBC.

And remember, even if it turns out you didn't do aswell this year, Year 13 can still make up for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also you can always apply to universities anyway and apply for a different university through adjustment if you do well in your A2s, I'm sure it will all be fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i got BBCD in my as levels, should be coming out with AAB at the end of the summer fingers crossed!! it is fixable.
    like you, i didn't want to apply with these as grades but also didn't want to feel 'left behind' staying home while all my friends went off to uni. so looking into other options a year out making a bit of money and gaining experience etc seemed good.
    thing is I've decided to find all this in Canada!! im now so excited and when people find out they get really jealous and can't believe im going over alone to do it. got my visa and everything sorted, its really easy to do it!
    if anyone had asked me if this was even an option at the end of year 11 i wouldn't have even considered, but now here i am counting the days till i go!
    what im trying to say is you don't have to go to uni to get away. there are loads of options...
    for now just chill out till results, see what happens and take it from there.
    good luck!!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late - you're still young

Firstly, it wouldn't hurt to think about whether academics are the right path for you. If you got those grades (which are still three passes, and could be brought up to a lot more for A2) because you just didn't care or because you found it difficult you may not enjoy university. I think it's tragic that we've suddenly developed this culture of pushing everyone through Uni when very few actually need to be there to excel at their jobs. You could do loads of things - skilled apprenticeships, armed forces, musician, entrepreneur, become a volunteer in something and work your way up the ladder, whatever careers interest you.

However, if you got them because you didn't work or you had a bad day, and you know you could do a lot better then you still have a chance at A2. Failing that, you can redo a year, or even just go through clearing - lots of people get into very good unis through clearing, and then your AS grades won't matter at all.

Basically, DON'T WORRY! Use this as motivation, decide on something you really want to do, and you will get there. Of course, your AS grades may be better than you think...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What A-levels are you taking? Are they ones you feel you should do or ones you are good at?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    worried that I'll never be able to get a decent job because i'll end up getting a degree from a bad uni.
    Plenty of people never get a decent job with a degree from a decent uni. So I wouldn't worry too much.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel you in less than 10 hours I'mn going to fail my physics exam...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inadequatedreams)
    I mean, you still have your health and family and dreams ohh......
    For now
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brother went to the University of Gloucestershire to study Public Relations. Neither are considered amazing. Yet, he got an internship at Microsoft and has successfully got a job on a graduate scheme which pays 24k. Universities do not decide how successful you life will be. (Unless you're going into something like Investment Banking haha)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duharvalgt)
    I feel you in less than 10 hours I'mn going to fail my physics exam...
    Dude are you doing an all nighter?
    Is it physics Unit 2? AQA
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    Dude are you doing an all nighter?
    Is it physics Unit 2? AQA
    Dude.... I there are no active threads so for im searching.... you still revising... i am im kinda cramming....
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R10T_N0_B0UNTY)
    Dude.... I there are no active threads so for im searching.... you still revising... i am im kinda cramming....
    I've crammed the whole syllabus of physics unit 2 in last night . Took me a good 7 hours and but i've done it . Last paper i did i think i got a B.
    I'm marking my 3rd paper now.
    How did your revision go for physics last night?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.