Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worth treating hayfever? Sounds stupid but please advise :)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

Ok, so like the title says, I realise that this is a stupid question, with the obvious answer being yes!

I have tried many different over the counter drugs to help with my symptoms, and not only do none of them work, but they also all seem to make me drowsy. I used to take them in the morning, but after a couple of hours I'm effectively sleep walking! So, I thought I'd take them at night, which was helpful because my symptoms keep me up all night so I was able to sleep. However, I then really struggle to get up in the morning.

I have recently diagnosed asthma, which is worse when i get hayfever, but then I've had it for probably all my life so I don't think not treating hayfever will do much harm. My symptoms are coughing and tight chest, sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and I get eczma. Most of the time I can live with them, but they can be really distracting when I'm trying to work and in exams.

I'm just not sure whether I should take something for hayfever or not. If I do, I'm too tired to do anything, but if I don't I risk being unable to concentrate and distractingothers around me. I have my A levels in a few weeks, so I need to able to work, but I'm not sure which is the best option. At gcse I went without taking anything and only 1 grade was affected. At As i took something and two grades were affected.

I don't think hayfever is worth a trip to the doctor as it would be a waste of their time, and anyway, I've had 2 appointments this year already! (I haven't been in the last 8 years so that is too many for my liking!)

What do you think? Should I take anything? Or, is there anything you can recommend?

Thanks
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I take neoclariten for my hayfever and it works pretty well, nasal sprays and eye drops tend to go down a treat as well. Go back to your GP and ask them to prescribe some of that shizz
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go and see your GP. It's a health issue that's bothering you, so you will not be at all wasting your time-that's exactly what they're there for!

It's especially worth treating if it aggravates your asthma. I almost had an asthma attack on the way to a uni exam the other day because I'd stopped taking my antihistamines (because hayfever wasn't affecting me when the weather's been awful, and then a sunny day struck). Luckily, my hayfever responds brilliantly to otc antihistamines (I just get generic ones from tesco) so after a few days taking them I'm fine again.

Don't put up with it when you don't have to; there will be lots of different things your GP can try you on to find what will work for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what do you take? just wondering cos i once tried loratidine and i ended up like you described, but worse.
    i now take ceterizine hydrochloride - an over the counter one and that works great for me.
    I once asked a pharmacist's advice on this and he said just keep trying until you get an antihistamine that works for you. your doctor may be able to help - go see them. if not, ask a pharmacist?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, so like the title says, I realise that this is a stupid question, with the obvious answer being yes!

I have tried many different over the counter drugs to help with my symptoms, and not only do none of them work, but they also all seem to make me drowsy. I used to take them in the morning, but after a couple of hours I'm effectively sleep walking! So, I thought I'd take them at night, which was helpful because my symptoms keep me up all night so I was able to sleep. However, I then really struggle to get up in the morning.

I have recently diagnosed asthma, which is worse when i get hayfever, but then I've had it for probably all my life so I don't think not treating hayfever will do much harm. My symptoms are coughing and tight chest, sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and I get eczma. Most of the time I can live with them, but they can be really distracting when I'm trying to work and in exams.

I'm just not sure whether I should take something for hayfever or not. If I do, I'm too tired to do anything, but if I don't I risk being unable to concentrate and distractingothers around me. I have my A levels in a few weeks, so I need to able to work, but I'm not sure which is the best option. At gcse I went without taking anything and only 1 grade was affected. At As i took something and two grades were affected.

I don't think hayfever is worth a trip to the doctor as it would be a waste of their time, and anyway, I've had 2 appointments this year already! (I haven't been in the last 8 years so that is too many for my liking!)

What do you think? Should I take anything? Or, is there anything you can recommend?

Thanks
    The GP can prescribe out prescription hay fever tablets that have less of a dorwziness effect.

I personally have 300mg hay fever tablets prescribed because over the counter isn't strong enough. The 300mg fexofenadines aren't enough some days (like today). The lack of available treatment annoys me.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I take neoclariten for my hayfever and it works pretty well, nasal sprays and eye drops tend to go down a treat as well. Go back to your GP and ask them to prescribe some of that shizz
    Go and see your GP. It's a health issue that's bothering you, so you will not be at all wasting your time-that's exactly what they're there for!

It's especially worth treating if it aggravates your asthma. I almost had an asthma attack on the way to a uni exam the other day because I'd stopped taking my antihistamines (because hayfever wasn't affecting me when the weather's been awful, and then a sunny day struck). Luckily, my hayfever responds brilliantly to otc antihistamines (I just get generic ones from tesco) so after a few days taking them I'm fine again.

Don't put up with it when you don't have to; there will be lots of different things your GP can try you on to find what will work for you.
    what do you take? just wondering cos i once tried loratidine and i ended up like you described, but worse.
    i now take ceterizine hydrochloride - an over the counter one and that works great for me.
    I once asked a pharmacist's advice on this and he said just keep trying until you get an antihistamine that works for you. your doctor may be able to help - go see them. if not, ask a pharmacist?
    The GP can prescribe out prescription hay fever tablets that have less of a dorwziness effect.

I personally have 300mg hay fever tablets prescribed because over the counter isn't strong enough. The 300mg fexofenadines aren't enough some days (like today). The lack of available treatment annoys me.
    Hi thanks for your replies

I currently take ceterizine hydrochloride from tesco but I have tried loratidine and yeah, like Katie_11 said, it was worse. I really don't want to go to the doctors and get a prescription because next year I won't be able to afford the prescription. ( i have 2 others a month and don't qualify for the H whatever it is form). I might ask the pharmacist for some ideas though, I'll just have to wait a few weeks till I can get into town. The one in the town where I live doesn't speak any english :/

Thanks for the help, I think I'll just live with it for now. My next exam isn't until wednesday so there's a fair chance it'll be wet and cold again!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    see your GP. there are other tablets you can try, or there are nose sprays or eye drops which often work well, depending on what symptoms are most bothersome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely see your GP, they're there for problems bigger AND smaller than yours. Ask them about a nasal spray with small dose steroid. This takes a couple weeks to build up in your system to see the good effects but its sure worth the effort. It can help runny nose and sore itchy eyes and it shouldn't cause drowsiness either. You'd probably have to check that it won't interfere with your asthma but the doctor should know about that.
    Good luck for exams minus a snotty nose
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi thanks for your replies

I currently take ceterizine hydrochloride from tesco but I have tried loratidine and yeah, like Katie_11 said, it was worse. I really don't want to go to the doctors and get a prescription because next year I won't be able to afford the prescription. ( i have 2 others a month and don't qualify for the H whatever it is form). I might ask the pharmacist for some ideas though, I'll just have to wait a few weeks till I can get into town. The one in the town where I live doesn't speak any english :/

Thanks for the help, I think I'll just live with it for now. My next exam isn't until wednesday so there's a fair chance it'll be wet and cold again!
    It is definitely worth going to the Doctors about your hay fever. I have all the symptoms you do and had nasal spray, eye drops, inhaler, tablets etc. Affording all of them was a struggle and they didn't even help that much. I now take a one off prescription which is a steroid tablet, not usually prescribed for hay fever but it's fantastic, and especially helps the asthma I get and would not have to be on repeat prescription, so you're only having to pay the one off charge. This would only be advised if it's impacting on your ability to revise for exams, or work etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try not eating any dairy foods for 24 hours works for some not for others but symptoms much improved so quickly it will be obvious if you are one of those who's hay fever is made worse by cheese etc...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go see a doctor, hay fever is often overlooked but can be very severe in some cases. I take benadryl hay fever tablets, and an allergy reliever nasal probe, and even on some days I get it really bad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had hayfever AND asthma and the doctors prescribed medication wasn't working as it was too weak. I went to Boots and bought Claritin which is seeming to do the job!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.