The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/lawsociety/firstyear/mediagallery/Freshers'%20Fortnight.wmv

UC... UC! :cool:

Quite a few people pick LSE or UCL over Cambridge. It is probably a personal preference to like London.
Reply 2
i think if you want to work in london, going to a London uni would be very good for you... and besides, a lot of people dont like the idea of Cambridge being so small.
Reply 3
I wouldn't, for academic purposes. Besides, personally, I'd prefer the scenic area of Cambridge.
Reply 4
I think to many people are drawn in by the "Oxbridge is 10 times better than anything, if you don't go there, you are destined for the dole."

Which is, in many cases, untrue. Universities (specifically Warwick, UCL, LSE) are catching up, and will, one day outrun Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 5
I think to many people are drawn in by the "Oxbridge is 10 times better than anything, if you don't go there, you are destined for the dole."

Which is, in many cases, untrue. Universities (specifically Warwick, UCL, LSE) are catching up, and will, one day outrun Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 6
london i would say has a better nightlife-but i don't think many people would reject oxbridge
Reply 7
Suzi_law
i think if you want to work in london, going to a London uni would be very good for you... and besides, a lot of people dont like the idea of Cambridge being so small.

Definitely go to Cambridge. Well, if you like the area that is. I personally don't particularly, but in terms of career, it doesn't matter whether you want to work in London or not. Masses of Oxbridge students work in the international firms in London, as well as at the Bar. Being in London or not for your degree really won't make a shadow of a difference when it comes to your career, especially as Cambridge is about 45 mins away by train!
Reply 8
pixikicks
Definitely go to Cambridge. Well, if you like the area that is. I personally don't particularly, but in terms of career, it doesn't matter whether you want to work in London or not. Masses of Oxbridge students work in the international firms in London, as well as at the Bar. Being in London or not for your degree really won't make a shadow of a difference when it comes to your career, especially as Cambridge is about 45 mins away by train!

I wasnt saying a london uni would be better for getting a london tc than cambridge, i was just saying that it couldnt hurt if you really didnt want to go to cambridge.
Reply 9
Suzi_law
I wasnt saying a london uni would be better for getting a london tc than cambridge, i was just saying that it couldnt hurt if you really didnt want to go to cambridge.

What does tc stand for?

And agreed, but I think this person is still considering both. But yup, a good London uni is probably the next best option.
Suzi_law

Interesting - I'd say the opposite! :smile: if you're going to work in London for a large chunk of your life, it's probably worth seeing something else first...
Reply 11
yeah...sorry i forgot to mention i live in london..so im thinking i might as well go cambridge (grades permitting) and enjoy the nightlife when i come home in the holidays...
Reply 12
oh and i really dont mean to sound so shallow being concerned with the nightlife its just that it would be a large part of student-life...
Reply 13
KaiserSoze
Interesting - I'd say the opposite! :smile: if you're going to work in London for a large chunk of your life, it's probably worth seeing something else first...

do you know, i never thiught if it like that! I think you may have a point there
Yeah, I live in London. Been born and raised here. Leaving reminds me why I still come back and am still here :p:

Phew :wink: I'd probably take London a bit more seriously and not so for granted if I actually went to uni in some farm/village.
pixikicks
Being in London or not for your degree really won't make a shadow of a difference when it comes to your career, especially as Cambridge is about 45 mins away by train!

I disagree slightly, because of it's prestige Cambridge will give access to all the opportunities London students get BUT i think it's arguable that London students will have more frequent access. For example if you think about some high flying barrister giving a lecture is likely to have such a busy schedule that he/she would find it more difficult to fit in a Cambridge lecture with the travel etc.
Reply 16
different?
I disagree slightly, because of it's prestige Cambridge will give access to all the opportunities London students get BUT i think it's arguable that London students will have more frequent access. For example if you think about some high flying barrister giving a lecture is likely to have such a busy schedule that he/she would find it more difficult to fit in a Cambridge lecture with the travel etc.

I would definitely pick Cambrdige over LSE or UCL.
different?

Nevermind that. When you're in London all the time, you can go to theirs :p:

(at least, that is the the way it works in finance)
Knogle
I would definitely pick Cambrdige over LSE or UCL.

Yes I do agree with that. However what I am saying is that there are certain advantages to London (particularly when studying law), that mean purely because of it's location only a London student would experience them on such a frequent basis.
Reply 19
I have offers from all three but I am definitely putting Cambridge as my firm choice. Cambridge (as I understand it) has an outstanding reputation with the top city law firms, but is also highly respected by the bar that is (correct me if I'm wrong) predominantly made up of Oxbridge graduates.

That said I'm in no doubt that LSE and UCL are extremely well respected especially when it comes to law, and I really don't think you'd miss out by going to them. That said given the choice I would pick cambridge but that's just me and I guess everyone's different hehe

Latest

Trending

Trending