The Student Room Group

The English Literature (LITB3 - 20/06/12) Thread

Scroll to see replies

haaaza23
How did people get on in this exam?
Can you remember the questions? I'd like access to the Jan 2010 paper so I can see what won't come up this summer :L

Yeah that would be useful, for practise as well. There's not much info about types of questions that might come up, either, besides the specimen paper
Reply 21
I had a mock today, on "the bloody chamber" part A
It went okay
I just got marks back from an essay on the bloody chamber and I got a level 6 :smile: so if anyone wants me to give tips I'm happy to share
Reply 22
okk well done...how do you structure your essay???
Reply 23
Rosyred809
okk well done...how do you structure your essay???

Are you also doing the Bloody Chamber? Then I can explain how I did it, seeing as I used 3 stories from the anthology..
Reply 24
yeah i am doing the bloody chamber...
Reply 25
In order to get the high mark for AO1, obviously you need to write formally. Be subjective, i.e. don't use I, we, our, one etc. Use literacy terms and all that jazz etc.
For AO2, you must constantly analyse language and somewhere include something on structure and form (you should mention form throughout, seeing as most of The Bloody Chamber stories are stories of sexual discovery). Structure is key in most of the stories, i.e. in the exposition of the wolf stories, we get a sense of the gothic/supernatural world being set up...which then effects our perception of what happens.
For AO3, use critical views. Feminism is of course a key element of this objective. In terms of the supernatural, refer to contemporary readers finding the supernatural element comical.
AO4 is context, so referring to Carters technique and the ways in which the gothic elements are used. She describes her work as a "hybrid form" (relating to AO2 there) so discuss this.

The introduction should stay on focus, don't blabber on about irrelevant stuff. Attack the question and provide a thesis statement.
The conclusion shouldn't repeat what you've written in the essay, but it should some up what you've found. You may want to include your opinion here - but be subjective (if that's even possible..)

If anyone wants me to send an example of my essays I'm willing to share (I've got a level 6 essay with me - albeit 5 pages)

:smile:
Heyy, I'm doing pastoral for my June exam! If anyone out there is doing the same (huckleberryfinn, william black etc) that I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest some sites I could get some help from. I can't find anything useful what soever!! Am just so confused! If I'm meant to be preparing for a exam & I can't even find some help :frown:
Reply 27
Im doing the June pastoral exam too :smile:
Studing William Blake (Songs of Innocence and Experience), Pastoral Poetry after 1945 and Shakespeare - As You Like It.
I don't think they will be much help out there, you can look at past papers on the aqa website + the spec, but its a brand new course and since most people are doing gothic i would assume most things will focus on that.
Just revise the texts and know your context + FSL :smile:
Reply 28
I'm doing pastoral too. As You Like It, pastoral poetry after 1945 and Blue Remembered Hills. Quite worried about this exam!
This coursework is soul-destroying. I'm doing the comparative piece and it is angering me so much, I have gone in to a deep depression and every time I open the Word document I feel sick, and then I get angry, and I spent four hours on it today and wrote about 300 words. I've never felt like this before during the course, adnd I know it's only an essay but I don't know why it's having such a negative effect on me. I'm struggling, my teacher will not help, they haven't explained it; we had to guess.

Anyway, for the exam I'm doing Gothic, I'm just gonna read the texts a few more times and make notes on all the elements of the gothic in each text and choose a few key quotes for each element.
Reply 30
Hi Guys...
Has anyone got any useful notes on Dracula, Faustus & The Bloody Chamber?
I'm doing fast-track english lit b,
Which means I have 5 books to revise and poems by Robert Browning & also the Rime of the Ancient Mariner! Ekkkk.
The five books I'm doing are the three gothic listed at the top..also Pride and Prejudice & The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time. If anyone's previously studied these two aswell any notes you could foward me would be hugely appreciated!!
I'm trying to keep calm but I feel as if I'm gonna crumble in the exams :frown:.
Hope your revision is going well everyone :smile: chloe x.
Reply 31
My revision consists of writing out quotes for PL, the bloody chamber and Doctor Faustus under each aspect of the Gothic, and learning them.
laurag23
My revision consists of writing out quotes for PL, the bloody chamber and Doctor Faustus under each aspect of the Gothic, and learning them.

I'm struggling for Gothic elements in Faustus, apart from the obvious. I'm gonna find it difficult writing about it in the exam. :frown:
Reply 33
laurag23

I'm finding quotations from TBL are really easy to learn :smile:
Are you revising all of the stories, or are you just focusing on the ones which are "seemingly" gothic? I have a feeling we might be asked about the presentation of women/sexes for the part A question...or maybe even for the part B question...
Reply 34
Chapter One
I'm struggling for Gothic elements in Faustus, apart from the obvious. I'm gonna find it difficult writing about it in the exam. :frown:

This is the one I am struggling with most too.
I just have to search quite deep within the text, but its how he become dark, and the whole aspect of the devils, and him "selling his soul" as well as Hell.
Reply 35
haaaza23
I'm finding quotations from TBL are really easy to learn :smile:
Are you revising all of the stories, or are you just focusing on the ones which are "seemingly" gothic? I have a feeling we might be asked about the presentation of women/sexes for the part A question...or maybe even for the part B question...

We are doing as many as we can, including the bloody chamber but that doesn't have too many gothic aspects until towards the ends.. I am focusing on the definite gothic one.
I don't think that question is gothic enough though, especially for part B where the presentation women won't be apparent/equal in every single examined text.
Reply 36
laurag23
We are doing as many as we can, including the bloody chamber but that doesn't have too many gothic aspects until towards the ends.. I am focusing on the definite gothic one.
I don't think that question is gothic enough though, especially for part B where the presentation women won't be apparent/equal in every single examined text.

The Bloody Chamber has gothic elements throughout :smile: We've done all of them, but I will only focus on learning a few...most of them are pretty universal.
I disagree with that, I think the portayal of female and male characters in gothic texts is a key convention.
Reply 37
It seems as if alot of people are doing Faustus & The Bloody Chamber...:smile:. I have a fully annotated script of the play and soon I'll be typing all my notes up as a revision...obviously we all have different ideas about different elements of the play so maybe it'd be a good idea to exchange notes. That way we'd be helping eachother and getting some extra revision notes :smile:. Let me know if anyone's up for it! I also really recommend York Notes on Faustus some excellent info on background, imagery, themes etc :smile:.
Reply 38
haaaza23
The Bloody Chamber has gothic elements throughout :smile: We've done all of them, but I will only focus on learning a few...most of them are pretty universal.
I disagree with that, I think the portayal of female and male characters in gothic texts is a key convention.

Actually, looking through the Bloody Chamber, you are right, they're are many gothic elements, luckily. :smile:
hmm, I just am not sure if its applicable in all texts as in how they want us to write similar lengths for each text in the part b question.
Reply 39
laurag23
Actually, looking through the Bloody Chamber, you are right, they're are many gothic elements, luckily. :smile:
hmm, I just am not sure if its applicable in all texts as in how they want us to write similar lengths for each text in the part b question.

There are 3 part B questions...and they can't exactly repeat what they ask in question A questions. So in that case, there may be one part B question which doesn't relate to a text at all; but even so, the portrayal of women is key in most Gothic texts - especially seeing as they have written a whole section of it in their textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending