Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to look for in a desktop to start in September?

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    http://orders.ebuyer.com/customer/sh...hcnQ%3D&stid=1

About £814

CM Storm Enforcer Case with Coolermaster 650W GX PSU £99.99
    G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX £41.51
    Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB £181.72
    Asus P8Z77-V Socket 1155 £131.70
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 £14.64
    Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" £79.98
    Sapphire HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 £249.96

Not sure if you would want a SSD, but I included a after market cooler, which is good to keep temps down and noise down...and to help keep temps good when you overclock.
    I wasn't sure about the gtx 670 as it would push your budget quite far, but the 7870 HD is very good.

I'd any day rather get the MSI Z77A-G43 for £60 cheaper and shift that money to a GTX 670. The gain from having the better graphics card far outweighs that of the motherboard benefit.

(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Thanks for sharing your build, will have to look into these more

For both of you, how much would you consider a decent budget for monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. I don't see them in the lists that you've mentioned so I wasn't sure how to take that into account, thanks
    Well keyboard wise I'm not too picky, a simple but sturdy logitech for £10-15 would be fine for me (you might have different needs). Due to my pretty big hands I'm gonna be buying the Logitech G400 mouse for £25.

As for monitor I'm still unsure. I currently use a 22" 1080p LED LCD HDMI (I know right, a lot of letters and numbers ) monitor with the home PC which I think I'm going to keep (and give my family the old 17" back ) - and that costs about £120 now. I'll probably upgrade to a 27" 1440p monitor sometime next year (one of the cheaper south korean imports - that will be about £200-250). I guess it depends on your needs.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'd any day rather get the MSI Z77A-G43 for £60 cheaper and shift that money to a GTX 670. The gain from having the better graphics card far outweighs that of the motherboard benefit.

Well keyboard wise I'm not too picky, a simple but sturdy logitech for £10-15 would be fine for me (you might have different needs). Due to my pretty big hands I'm gonna be buying the Logitech G400 mouse for £25.

As for monitor I'm still unsure. I currently use a 22" 1080p LED LCD HDMI (I know right, a lot of letters and numbers ) monitor with the home PC which I think I'm going to keep (and give my family the old 17" back ) - and that costs about £120 now. I'll probably upgrade to a 27" 1440p monitor sometime next year (one of the cheaper south korean imports - that will be about £200-250). I guess it depends on your needs.
    Thanks, do you know when the gtx 670 or 660 if I settle with one come out?

What does a better mobo do? Is it better processing? I'm really clueless with hardware, sorry :L.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

What does a better mobo do? Is it better processing? I'm really clueless with hardware, sorry :L.
    670 is already out for about £310-320. Don't know about the 660 sorry.

Oh it won't do anything unless you plan on using its extra features like the better SLI and built in wifi.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, hmm, considering my course has fluid mechanics, I'm not sure if that should be taken into consideration when it comes to deciding between an i5 and i7. I think i7 would be better in this case?
    Depends on what kind of programs your gonna be using and whether they require hyperthreading. If so then i7 would be your choice otherwise i5 will meet all your needs and there's small difference between the 2 in gaming performance.

Thanks for sharing your build, will have to look into these more

For both of you, how much would you consider a decent budget for monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. I don't see them in the lists that you've mentioned so I wasn't sure how to take that into account, thanks
    Wouldn't be sure about monitors, keyboards and mouse.
    Just make sure your monitor is a good resolution, large enough screen and probably HD.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)

Hassi94 is probably right, as long as there's a future expansion for an extra gpu in case fews down the line, the motherboard should be good in general.

gtx 670 would beat the 660. Plus the gtx 670 isn't running to it's full potential, until a year in as they would find bugs over time which will be solved by updates. By then the gtx 670 will play any game on top settings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems I've been away a little too long haha; to the owner of the thread, what do you intend on putting into the build? Then I may be able to offer some assistance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.