Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im kind of stuck in life

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My main problem is unemployment. I am 26 years old and I am finding it way difficult to get a job.(i know the cv tricks;i dont always use the same cv or put all my degrees etc).
    Um, i feel really useless, i have tried my best to find a job-anywhere. I have spent all my family's money studying in excellent universities, and its just not paying off. I do not know how to handle it. Everyday i hate myself a little bit more.
    • 105 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frilini)
    My main problem is unemployment. I am 26 years old and I am finding it way difficult to get a job.(i know the cv tricks;i dont always use the same cv or put all my degrees etc).
    Um, i feel really useless, i have tried my best to find a job-anywhere. I have spent all my family's money studying in excellent universities, and its just not paying off. I do not know how to handle it. Everyday i hate myself a little bit more.
    And what exactly do you want to get, my dear Greek friend?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try an internship - or being open to different fields. Even if you start at the bottom, with your skills you sound like you would advance quickly and could use your university skills later on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    And what exactly do you want to get, my dear Greek friend?
    mostly, a job
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelsea.grenner)
    Try an internship - or being open to different fields. Even if you start at the bottom, with your skills you sound like you would advance quickly and could use your university skills later on
    i was offered unpaid internships abroad, but unfortunatelly i-or my family-do not have the money to support myself there. ive tried applied literally everywhere. call centers, shops, retail shops, agencies, banks, etc.
    when you dont get a positive reply for that long, it kind of makes your life miserable and unworthy
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was offered unpaid internships abroad, but unfortunatelly i-or my family-do not have the money to support myself there. ive tried applied literally everywhere. call centers, shops, retail shops, agencies, banks, etc.
    when you dont get a positive reply for that long, it kind of makes your life miserable and unworthy
    Go to the job agencies...Reed website has 100's of jobs a day, but 50% are marketing and very bad.
    Data Entry would be the best work.

Type in 6 to 7.50 per hour, that should block out all the too good to be true jobs.

When you see the adverts, try and only look for the logo's Reed, Search, Adecco, Manpower. Aswell as the big companies that you recognise.
    That's on www.reed.co.uk
    Sometimes it has taken me 6 months to find a job
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyday i hate myself a little bit more.
    Hating yourself more will not lead to anywhere nor solve the problems. Keep on trying and don't despair! It's a tough world out there and you need to be strong (though it's easier being said than done) for the sake of you and your family.

'The world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming it'. Helen keller

and

'Have respect for yourself, and patience and compassion. With these, you can handle anything'. Jack Kornfield #FIGHTING!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with suzie. Ain't no point hating yourself because of a situation which remains overwhelmingly largely out of your control.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, there are a lot of people in your position. Have you tried looking into apprenticeships? They may help you build up your practical skills, and they often lead directly to a full position.
    May I ask what you what you did at Uni?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    And which uni you attended.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That could be a good thing because in my experience you never know what you are getting with interviews abroad.

I went to hear a talk from a leading venture capitalist and he said that he sent out 700 resumes and got 699 nos. Just remember you only need one yes.

Maybe try your local paper. I know this may sound low-key, but there will probably be less people applying than with online sites.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    Don't worry, there are a lot of people in your position. Have you tried looking into apprenticeships? They may help you build up your practical skills, and they often lead directly to a full position.
    ba in international relations- university of athens
    msc finance and management - university of st andrews
    msc economics - lse
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any friends or family that work somewhere that will employ you? Sadly this is the case in quite a few places for instance where I work on saturday whenever they need someone extra they will ask me to bring a friend rather than looking through the pile of CV's
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    become a poker player...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph(:)
    Do you have any friends or family that work somewhere that will employ you? Sadly this is the case in quite a few places for instance where I work on saturday whenever they need someone extra they will ask me to bring a friend rather than looking through the pile of CV's
    unfortunatelly no my parents were in the public sector, and so were all of their friends. the know-someone factor is maybe more important than education, but none in my family was either a private sector worker or had his own business. my friends are nearly all unemployed as well, so overall..my answer is no
    theres was only one case where we found someone in a big company to help me with a job, but he couldnt and all he offered was an unpaid internship in crete. boo.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    you do have good qualifications, why not try for a teaching post? either at a school or university. Its actually a pretty good job. Try it for a while until something better turns up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    you do have good qualifications, why not try for a teaching post? either at a school or university. Its actually a pretty good job. Try it for a while until something better turns up.
    here, to become a teacher you need to go through exams for the public sector. all of these have been suspended until 2014. to become a teacher abroad, i need to be native speaker of english, which i am not. i am currently offering private classes in economics, which give me a salary of 150e/month.
    the economic situation has make it quite impossible to find a job, unless you know someone. but this is why i studied a lot, to get an advantage, but it doesnt matter.
    its tough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    unfortunatelly no my parents were in the public sector, and so were all of their friends. the know-someone factor is maybe more important than education, but none in my family was either a private sector worker or had his own business. my friends are nearly all unemployed as well, so overall..my answer is no
    theres was only one case where we found someone in a big company to help me with a job, but he couldnt and all he offered was an unpaid internship in crete. boo.
    Ah! Tough situation, most people are suffering and coming out with degrees and there not being any jobs for them. Would you consider private tuition? You can get paid really well for that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph(:)
    Ah! Tough situation, most people are suffering and coming out with degrees and there not being any jobs for them. Would you consider private tuition? You can get paid really well for that!
    yes i am considering it. though economics are not taught in high school here.
    i tried applying for private colleges etc, but its the same all over again...you gotta know someone.
    (i am also a phd candidate, but my mental status is not good at all and i think i will quit the phd.)

p.s. you dont get paid as a phd student here
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My dad left school when he was 16 (it was normal back then :P), and went out to sea for a few years. Then he came back to the UK and decided he wanted a degree in Maritime Law (he was a captain after all). But after he got his degree, he too was jobless for a while. Eventually though, he got an offer from a firm in Greece, and so decided to take it as he has little to no other options; now he's one of the top maritime lawyers in Athens and gets offers to switch to different competitor firms every 3-4 months . I guess the moral of the story is just take what comes to you, and work your way up from there. And most importantly, never give up hope

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.