The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roxas
Hey I got BCDe with my AS levels (quite dissapointing) but after January resits I have achieved AAB at AS level.
My firm choice of Sheffield is looking for ABB and I think it is likely that I will be getting BBB just missing out on the A.
I was wondering how you determine if a situation is extenuating or not, because I am having some pretty serious thoracic surgery in July, which is obviously scaring me half to death. I have a pre operation meeting/x rays and stuff on the day of an exam, I'm not sure how it will effect my performance. Do you think it's worth letting anyone know about these worries or should I just wait until results day?
Who knows maybe I will do better than I think I will?

If you say it's pretty serious and you're being affected by it already it may be an issue. Only problem is it is mostly a stress related issue at the moment, (assuming you don't have any serious symptoms) and that's something all students will have at the moment :redface: You can't wait until results day to declare extenuating circumstances so if you believe you have the right to then best to do it soon. Perhaps better to just be optimistic and focus on doing the best you can!

I know how you're feeling with resits too, I've spent the last year trying to pull ABBC up to AAA, a lot of stress but you did amazingly to pull up so quickly!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by North Irelandman
If you say it's pretty serious and you're being affected by it already it may be an issue. Only problem is it is mostly a stress related issue at the moment, (assuming you don't have any serious symptoms) and that's something all students will have at the moment :redface: You can't wait until results day to declare extenuating circumstances so if you believe you have the right to then best to do it soon. Perhaps better to just be optimistic and focus on doing the best you can!

I know how you're feeling with resits too, I've spent the last year trying to pull ABBC up to AAA, a lot of stress but you did amazingly to pull up so quickly!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks very much for the reply, I said it was "pretty" serious because of the operation itself, my condition (pectus carinatum) doesn't have any significant health issues beyond not being able to play contact sport. But quite dramatically affects me through self confidence and psychological reasons, for example I haven't been to the beach/swimming in over 5 years now, and I stay inside through most of summer when clothing can't help to disguise my odd body shape. The surgery is a big 6-9 hour surgery that involves breaking nearly all my ribs to remove cartilage and reshape my chest (sorry if that was too graphic) but the operation is a week after my last exam so I'm not sure if it counts?

Thanks for the positive comments on my resits! I did 5 AS resits to get them up but it was worth it! :biggrin: I just hope I don't let myself down now!
I hope you did manage to get yours up, if you did well done!! :smile: best of luck for your exams and stuff.
Reply 122
Original post by Gawjuz.x
Can I apply for a foundation year if I'm that worried that I may not get my offers? Or must I apply for a foundation year beforehand..it's not like I can call a university on results day asking them to take me in for a foundation degree? QMUL are asking for AAB for BSc Mathematics and I have a feeling I might get AAC or ABC :/ - is that a sensible option for me?
You will be able to apply for a Foundation degree place through Clearing, if it turns out that you need to. To be frank, even if you miss your current offers you should be able to get a place for a standard Maths degree with ABC grades.

Original post by Roxas
Hey I got BCDe with my AS levels (quite dissapointing) but after January resits I have achieved AAB at AS level.
My firm choice of Sheffield is looking for ABB and I think it is likely that I will be getting BBB just missing out on the A.
I was wondering how you determine if a situation is extenuating or not, because I am having some pretty serious thoracic surgery in July, which is obviously scaring me half to death. I have a pre operation meeting/x rays and stuff on the day of an exam, I'm not sure how it will effect my performance. Do you think it's worth letting anyone know about these worries or should I just wait until results day?
Who knows maybe I will do better than I think I will?

I think you should discuss with your teachers at school what impact this has had on you, and decide what should be shared with the Exam Boards and/or your firm and insurance unis. You need to decide before Results Day what if anything you are going to tell the unis. If you don't tell the Exam Boards straight away, they won't be able to take the information into account in any case.
Need AAA for my firm choice, and although I know I should be a bit more optimistic, I'm pretty much convinced I won't get those grades :frown:. A2 psychology, I hate you.
Well I was fine... until a fire alarm went off in the middle of my most crucial exam. Needless to say I was distracted. Hopefully the examiners will take that into account.
I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer and it's all my fault :cry2:
Hi all. I'll get straight to the point. This year, I've been diagnosed as having a severe and intrusive form of OCD known as pure O. I believe this has affected my ability to study due to the compulsions it requires me to carry out. If I were to inform York of this, would they be more likely to accept me given the mitigating circumstances? Or would it be pointless? Thanks
Reply 127
Original post by molthemoo
Hi all. I'll get straight to the point. This year, I've been diagnosed as having a severe and intrusive form of OCD known as pure O. I believe this has affected my ability to study due to the compulsions it requires me to carry out. If I were to inform York of this, would they be more likely to accept me given the mitigating circumstances? Or would it be pointless? Thanks

Yes, York has an Access Scheme. You're supposed to inform them before you apply, but they accepted mine after my application was sent (on the grounds of a low income and a terrible school).

http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/access-scheme/
Original post by dendodge
Yes, York has an Access Scheme. You're supposed to inform them before you apply, but they accepted mine after my application was sent (on the grounds of a low income and a terrible school).

http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/access-scheme/

Thanks - much appreciated! I'm guessing it would help my chances if I stressed that I've only just been diagnosed, but the therapist stills feel the disease developed way beforehand? How much leniency are they likely to give with regards to missing an offer? Sorry to bombard with questions.
Reply 129
Thanks - much appreciated! I'm guessing it would help my chances if I stressed that I've only just been diagnosed, but the therapist stills feel the disease developed way beforehand? How much leniency are they likely to give with regards to missing an offer? Sorry to bombard with questions.

I have no idea, I'm afraid. I think they'd assess it on an individual basis, but in your case they'd probably be quite lenient - I hear Pure O is pretty bad.
Ah well I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks
I have no idea, I'm afraid. I think they'd assess it on an individual basis, but in your case they'd probably be quite lenient - I hear Pure O is pretty bad.

Can I ask, did they change the requirement to something below your standard offer? If so, how much by?
Reply 132
Can I ask, did they change the requirement to something below your standard offer? If so, how much by?

I already had my offer by that point, but I emailed them and they said they'd still take it into consideration. So while my offer is still ABB, I wouldn't be surprised if they're more lenient when it comes to missing the grades.
(edited 11 years ago)
I already had my offer by that point, but I emailed them and they said they'd still take it into consideration. So while my offer is still ABB, I wouldn't be surprised if they're more lenient when it comes to missing the grades.

Okay. Cheers and gd luck
Reply 134
Okay. Cheers and gd luck

Thanks, you too. I'm sure you'll do fine :smile:

(If it helps, I have a friend who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder towards the end of his first year of university, and his university have given him lots of leniency. I don't think he even has to retake the year. It's a different illness on a different course at a different time and place, but it shows that universities can be quite lenient about such things.)
I need to call my college today and chase up about extenuating circumstances.. my mom emailed the head of A-Levels over a week ago and he hasn't replied. I'm struggling with revision at the moment and in the exam I've already had, I'm worried that not being able to properly concentrate due to the pain might have messed it up :frown:
Reply 136
TERRIFIED. :sanod:
I switch between extremes of I might just scrape through or there is no hope.

Fingers crossed that we all make it! :biggrin:
Original post by madders94
I need to call my college today and chase up about extenuating circumstances.. my mom emailed the head of A-Levels over a week ago and he hasn't replied. I'm struggling with revision at the moment and in the exam I've already had, I'm worried that not being able to properly concentrate due to the pain might have messed it up :frown:

:hugs: have you tried the exam officer or head of sixth? Phone call?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
Original post by cpdavis
:hugs: have you tried the exam officer or head of sixth? Phone call?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App

The exam officer is who I'm going to call I think, they might be the best person to help deal with it :smile:
Original post by ViceVersa
I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer and it's all my fault :cry2:

hey, i know how you feel. i messed up just one exam and i'm sure it's all over for me too :cry2: (i need AAB and it looks like i'm getting A*AAD - i need at least a B in chemistry and that's the one i'm probably getting a D in):cry2:
i got an A in unit 1
probably an A in my unit 2 resit and hopefully an A in my unit 4 resit
but i got a low C in my coursework and i've probably failed my unit 5 which i just did yesterday
i was aiming for an A but now even a B's gone out of the window :cry2:

you wanna have a vent? :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending