Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not talented at school? But want something great with there life?!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , I'm 17 and doing my GCSE's , so far I think they are easier that I thought, but over my school life I have failed miserably in giving my fullest. I'm an outdoor person , I love camping , hiking and all of that .. A huge fan of bear grylls
    Anyway , I want to work at outward bound in the uk or American, but I keep being told that I won't get anywhere with the grades I have. is it too late to do well? I still have another two years including grade 13.it's so hard for me to focus I can't sit down at the desk without being distracted, studying has been a bit easier as I get older but I really want to do well in life.
    Does anyone else have this problem or has had this problem? Thanks guys :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about that stuff. Some people are just not suited to academic study or the lifestyle that comes with it. If you want something great in your life then you will go further when you are free from such a regimented lifestyle.

Can't get a job in the industry you want or in the company you want, and yet you want to be great? **** it, make your own.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks great advice!

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The idea that everyone has a talent is just liberal nonsense. Just try and hope you can live a comfortable and enjoyable life, look after and love your family, and just don't care about stupid things like that.
    That said, you shoudl still work very hard at school. It's not too late at all, but there's not much excuse for not being able to concentrate. YOu have to just focus, because not having qualifications in this day and age is a death sentence
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimothyPhilips)
    Hi guys , I'm 17 and doing my GCSE's , so far I think they are easier that I thought, but over my school life I have failed miserably in giving my fullest. I'm an outdoor person , I love camping , hiking and all of that .. A huge fan of bear grylls
    Anyway , I want to work at outward bound in the uk or American, but I keep being told that I won't get anywhere with the grades I have. is it too late to do well? I still have another two years including grade 13.it's so hard for me to focus I can't sit down at the desk without being distracted, studying has been a bit easier as I get older but I really want to do well in life.

depends what you mean by "doing well". I mean, what people mean when they say that is getting an impressive-sounding job that earns them a lot of money, to spend on pointless, unfulfilling luxuries. Working their whole lives away in jobs they'd rather not be doing given the choice, with people they'd rather not be around, just to pay for bull**** things and pile more stresses and responsibilities on their shoulders the older they get. Working 5 days just to get 2 off. Then they die at the end.
    A life spent out in nature sounds much more tempting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when I say "do well" , i mean that I can provide for myself when I'm older and maybe on day a family.when I say is it to late to do well I mean , is that it? No second chances?
    I completely agree with you when it comes to luxerys. That's not my aim in life to buy expensive items all the time.. It's allowed if you work you're *** off to buy something ( like I did to buy my iPad ) and then you reward yourself. But that's not what I think about.. Recently I have been very independent in my own way. We have had some major family problems but I can't let that effect my school life. I know what I want to do in life, but I just need to work my way towards it. Is that bad?
    Thanks.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimothyPhilips)

If your passion is the outdoors then I'd say that is more than likely where your talent is, I don't know what qualifications you need to do the work you would like to but "talent" is really just what you spend time on. There is a book called the Talent code which talks about how spending 10,000 hours of concentrated effort at a tast brings mastery so if you love the outdoors and spend time on those pursuits then you will have a knowledge and understanding of the land and nature that urbanites couldn't concive of.

I am sure there are courses you can do in these areas and if you lack the formal qualifications conversion courses but there maybe oppertunities without formal education as it sounds like you prefer to learn out in the open, on the job so to speak. Unfortunately there is a bias towards degrees and bits of paper these days but speak to a good careers counciller about your options, maybe try to get work experiance with a park ranger and ask them how they got started.

There is also the army which can teach you a lot of skills but it's not for everyone.

Good luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.