Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Preparing for your practical test

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what other people do to prepare for their practical test, apart from extra lessons.
    I've failed two tests now and I've got another one coming up and I feel like for both tests I wasn't really doing anything to prepare for them like I would for any other type of test, and now it's getting nearer I feel like I should be doing something but I don't know what.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You could try changing your instructor if your existing one has done bugger all to help you prepare before or since your failed attempts. He/she should have put a plan in place (or changed an existing one) after a failed test.

If you feel you're truly "in the wilderness" with no direction, your instructor should shoulder responsibility for that. Private practice is extremely useful too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HalfBloodPrincess)
    I was wondering what other people do to prepare for their practical test, apart from extra lessons.
    I've failed two tests now and I've got another one coming up and I feel like for both tests I wasn't really doing anything to prepare for them like I would for any other type of test, and now it's getting nearer I feel like I should be doing something but I don't know what.
    What do you mean when you say you were not preparing for your driving test like any other type of test? As your thread title shows, it's a practical test; it's not like any other test. The way to prepare for a practical test of any skill is to practise. Driving is a skill practised in real time, like playing a musical instrument or speaking a foreign language. You get better at the skill by doing it. There is no other way.

You may know what the notes are in the scale of F# harmonic minor, but can you play them accurately in time and tune on your instrument? You may know the rules about when to use the preterite or imperfect tenses, but can you have a fluent conversation in Spanish with someone about what you were doing when something happened in the past?

There is a good YouTube video, made by a driving examiner, which includes a part on how to decide if your instructor is helping you with the right sort of practice.

See the YouTube video ' Choosing a Driving Instructor ' by lacontrabasse.

All the best

Victor
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I changed instructor and that really helped, getting somebody else to look at my driving and tell me where I am going wrong really helped me

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.