The Student Room Group

OCR Decision 1 - 24 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Just say I got a high C in D1, and A in everything else and mid 90% in c2 and c3. Could I still get an A*.
Reply 181
Original post by samjj8
Just say I got a high C in D1, and A in everything else and mid 90% in c2 and c3. Could I still get an A*.

To get an A* in Mathematics, you need an average of 80% in C1, C2 and applied modules and an average of 90% in C3 and C4.
You need an average of 80 UMS across all modules including C3 and C4, and an average of 90 UMS for C3 and C4.
Basically, average 90 in C3 and C4 and get 480/600 or better.
Reply 183
Original post by FK_
To get an A* in Mathematics, you need an average of 80% in C1, C2 and applied modules and an average of 90% in C3 and C4.

So I just need to get an very high 80's mark in M1 and I have an A.

Its annoying that I have a flood of D1 past papers with really high scores, and that's all I can do in the exam. :frown:

My tutor told me that if in addition, if you don't get 70% or over in all your exams, you can't get the A*.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by samjj8

Its annoying that I have a flood of D1 past papers with really high scores, and that's all I can do in the exam. :frown:

Essentially you just need an average of 80% in all your modules and 90% in C3 and C4. How you do that, is up to you entirely.
Reply 185
Original post by samjj8

My tutor told me that if in addition, if you don't get 70% or over in all your exams, you can't get the A*.

Well your tutor needs to fix up :smile:!

It doesn't matter whether you get 50% in one module, as long as the other ones make your average 80% or above, you get an A. And like I've said, the additional requirement for the A* is the 90% average in C3 and C4.

This is all explained in great detail in the specification on the ocr website btw
Reply 186
Original post by FK_
Well your tutor needs to fix up :smile:!

It doesn't matter whether you get 50% in one module, as long as the other ones make your average 80% or above, you get an A. And like I've said, the additional requirement for the A* is the 90% average in C3 and C4.

This is all explained in great detail in the specification on the ocr website btw

cheers.

I still would gladly take that exam again, but a different one. I think it's just me... whenever I retake the exact papers I didn't do great in, I still don't improve, even though I don't have a problem with ANY OTHER past paper. I also took the June 2011 paper... and this was supposed to be my resit. :frown: Just goes to show, some people really are unlucky.
Doesn't help that I felt ill and had to leave the room after 10 mins. :frown:
Reply 187
one of the most awkward d1 papar i have done. c1 and c2 went well, and all the sudden until this paper :frown:... i don't like the linear programming question as they didn't give give you the precise feasible coordinates, except one out of 4. the algebra method didn't seem to work, so i have to judge the coodinates by visual :s
Original post by cmcjas
one of the most awkward d1 papar i have done. c1 and c2 went well, and all the sudden until this paper :frown:... i don't like the linear programming question as they didn't give give you the precise feasible coordinates, except one out of 4. the algebra method didn't seem to work, so i have to judge the coodinates by visual :s

Yeah same here. Btw, you made the equations of the lines you worked out in the first part equal to each other if you didn't know :smile: hope it went okay otherwise :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by Nathdragon5
Yeah same here. Btw, you made the equations of the lines you worked out in the first part equal to each other if you didn't know :smile: hope it went okay otherwise :smile:

thanks for the reply, i think i started with simultaneous equations then i messed up and thought that would take too long and instead i judge the values from the graph...and i think i also messed up the last question s,t,u bit in the simplex one, did you pivot from x when doing the 2nd iteration? but overall i think i did quite badly partly due to panicking, b grade would be lucky. hope yours went well :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by samjj8

yes its still posibble if ur c2 and c1 are good solid 90's then that would balance ur d1 grade out to about 80% or more then all u have to do is do well in c4 n c3 get 90% in them and in ur applied module get a high B or something
Original post by cmcjas
thanks for the reply, i think i started with simultaneous equations then i messed up and thought that would take too long and instead i judge the values from the graph...and i think i also messed up the last question s,t,u bit in the simplex one, did you pivot from x when doing the 2nd iteration? but overall i think i did quite badly partly due to panicking, b grade would be lucky. hope yours went well :smile:

No worries, yeah the time issue was quite distracting to be honest :P and yes, the second iteration I think was the X column, can't entirely remember. All I know is that I ended up with 2 for s, and 0 for the other two slack variables. Can't remember what P was, sorry :P and yeah thanks, mine went alright, feeling slightly better now that everyone is saying it was hard, pretty much guaranteed to have low boundaries, if that makes you happier :smile:
Reply 192
Part i when you put in x=0 was 6 marks, part ii with x=1 was 1 mark, part iii with x=-1 was 5 marks, part iv with why is it crap, 1 mark :smile:

If no-ones made it by tomorrow I'll be trying to make one looking at what people got on here, but there's a little bit of disagreement, esp over the nearest neighbour... wondering, did the guys who got 600 definitely start at M and remember to connect T back to M at the end?

i think i got 600 sounds familiar and on the starting one she had to start from the odd nodes not M(because u made them even) so u cant start from there because u had to cover every arc so u had to start from the odd node and end up at the other odd node inother words it was semi eurlarian for that bit i think it was R and W that were odd
Reply 193
'They can't make a D1 paper off topic they said'

Off topic my arse!
Original post by a10
i think i got 600 sounds familiar and on the starting one she had to start from the odd nodes not M(because u made them even) so u cant start from there because u had to cover every arc so u had to start from the odd node and end up at the other odd node inother words it was semi eurlarian for that bit i think it was R and W that were odd

No, that's for a different question, that was the one with the route covering every arc, agree with you though :smile: we're talking about the one where she had to go to every node, which you'd use nearest neighbour for..... I think, anyway :P
g1337892765445886487.jpg

This is how I feel right now. :P
Reply 196
No worries, yeah the time issue was quite distracting to be honest :P and yes, the second iteration I think was the X column, can't entirely remember. All I know is that I ended up with 2 for s, and 0 for the other two slack variables. Can't remember what P was, sorry :P and yeah thanks, mine went alright, feeling slightly better now that everyone is saying it was hard, pretty much guaranteed to have low boundaries, if that makes you happier :smile:

same...hopefully low boundaries (fingers crossed):smile: however i really want an A in alevel maths this summer. and i have got c3 and c4 coming up in june :s as i want to study further maths next year. And i don't want to see just because i didn't do well in this paper, it will ruin my results since im pretty confident with c1 and c2.
Original post by cmcjas
same...hopefully low boundaries (fingers crossed):smile: however i really want an A in alevel maths this summer. and i have got c3 and c4 coming up in june :s as i want to study further maths next year. And i don't want to see just because i didn't do well in this paper, it will ruin my results since im pretty confident with c1 and c2.

Yeah, let's hope so :smile: I really don't want it to screw me over, I'm already taking 7 this year so hopefully I'll be able to pull up the average anyway but yeah :smile: plus I'll need good results if I'm thinking of Cambridge :P Ahh, I take further maths across the two years, instead of maths this year and further maths next year. Means I do c2, c3, d1, d2, m1, m2, fp1 this year (did C1 before) and c4,m3,s1,s2,s3,fp2,fp3 next year and I might do s4 depends on how hard stats is.... just a disproportionate amount of applied modules :angry: I wish I did it your way instead :P
Reply 198
Yeah, let's hope so :smile: I really don't want it to screw me over, I'm already taking 7 this year so hopefully I'll be able to pull up the average anyway but yeah :smile: plus I'll need good results if I'm thinking of Cambridge :P Ahh, I take further maths across the two years, instead of maths this year and further maths next year. Means I do c2, c3, d1, d2, m1, m2, fp1 this year (did C1 before) and c4,m3,s1,s2,s3,fp2,fp3 next year and I might do s4 depends on how hard stats is.... just a disproportionate amount of applied modules :angry: I wish I did it your way instead :P

wow...that's quite a bit of pressure ! yeah i think we only do 12 units in total for M and FM across the two years, normal maths units 1st year, then the fp/m2 etc stuff next year. now the applied modules seem to be the one that i dislike the most, btw have you done any mechanics/d2 yet? if yes were they any good? however im not thinking of oxbridge, thus i would be happy to get AB OR AA in both M and FM.
Original post by cmcjas
wow...that's quite a bit of pressure ! yeah i think we only do 12 units in total for M and FM across the two years, normal maths units 1st year, then the fp/m2 etc stuff next year. now the applied modules seem to be the one that i dislike the most, btw have you done any mechanics/d2 yet? if yes were they any good? however im not thinking of oxbridge, thus i would be happy to get AB OR AA in both M and FM.

Yeah, a little :L Ahh okay, that sounds a lot nicer, gets you into the flow of things :smile: okay, I've done d2, that went fine, usually they're really time pressured but this was okay, I think I lost 2 marks last time I checked the unofficial mark scheme. It was pretty easy, and its easy to learn, only 5 chapters, and there's really not much complication. M1 is next Thursday and m2 is my last exam, 22nd June -_- I'll tell you how they go. If you've done m1 I would probably recommend learning m2 over the summer, the first part of it is easy, the rest was a little confusing but its one of those modules that suddenly just clicks and you understand everything :P which is nice :smile: an AA is good, that would get you far! Just for Cambridge they said that the average ums score of people actually there is 95 so that's what I'm aiming for :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending