Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

30 minutes a day to get fit. Routine me!

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I will put a shortned version here to save repeating myself
    1) I don't want to be doing any squatting or a variation of that using some sort of free weight bar. I am not a moron or taken in by the media, I have sports injuries that cause issues for this.
    2) I have 30 minutes, no more, Monday to Friday as well as being able to do a longer session on a Sunday.
    3) As well as wanting to put on muscle mass I also wish to get aerobically fit.
    4) I do not want to lose any weight.
    5) If possible I would like to lose some of the muscle mass from my thighs as it is causing issues with fitting in to suit trousers. If this is not possible I can live with it.
    6) I don't want to just be pointed towards a website like starting strength which is not tailored for 30 minute blasts and generally requires a lot of free weights using bars. I want some actual advice as opposed to just something Google would tell me within one second.

----------------------------------------------

Right well I am planning on trying to get in to shape by ushing 30 minutes of my lunch each day during the week to get myself in to shape. I will have access to a full gym but don't want to be using any free weights.

I'm pretty much a skinny fat whilst retaining some of my old athletic physique and strength, more around my thighs though.

So what I am looking for is a stronger core, bigger arms, maybe try and slim my thighs down slightly (as sometimes it is hard to fit in to trousers :mmm: ) and get generally aerobically 'fit'.

I'm 6ft 2" and about 12 stone atm (maybe 12.5 but I doubt it even if I haven't weighed myself in a long time).

Oh and one specific area that is really annoying me (it will sound very weird) is my neck/jaw line. It is a lot looser than previously and I would like this to be gone :yep:

I am also in the process of improving my diet so would be welcome to advice here as long as it includes no eggs or sea food of any variety.

So will this be possible in five 30 minute bursts with maybe one longer one on a Sunday?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    how many days a week can you go in the gym?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRnoob17)
    how many days a week can you go in the gym?
    I can Monday to Friday for 30 minutes each lunch time as well as a longer time on a Sunday if it would be that helpful.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Right well I am planning on trying to get in to shape by ushing 30 minutes of my lunch each day during the week to get myself in to shape. I will have access to a full gym but don't want to be using any free weights.
    What's the problem with using free weights? If you are able to use them I can give you a decent routine, otherwise you're kinda stuck with almost useless weightlifting machines and cardio (zzzZZZzzz).
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    What's the problem with using free weights? If you are able to use them I can give you a decent routine, otherwise you're kinda stuck with almost useless weightlifting machines and cardio (zzzZZZzzz).
    I don't trust my back at this stage lifting any sort of bar related thing. Don't mind the likes of dumbells and what not as I can keep more control of them and its less stress on my knees as well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if your going to go in 5 consecutive days then you'l want to be doing different muscle groups each day. for example
    chest+triceps
    back (lats)+biceps
    legs
    delts+traps
    abs+lower back

for building muscle you'l want compound exercises eg bench press, dumbell press, push ups for chest and triceps and any form of rows and maybe lat pulldown for lats and biceps and squats for legs

you could maybe do some running on the weekend to increase metabolism and therefore muscle recovery/aerobic fitness

a technique that arnold schwarzanegger (spelling?) and chris hemsworth used is antagonistic muscle supersets which is where you do an exercise for one muscle and then go straight into the opposite muscle group without rest e.g sit ups and then deadlifts or biceps curls into skullcrushers

as for your diet its hard to build good muscle AND lose fat simultaneously so maybe try bulking and cutting like pro bodybuilders do where they stuff their faces with rediculous ammounts of protein / carbs and then when they have put on muscle they cut down massively on their food consumption and focus more on aerobic work

i know this information is a bit all over the place but i hope it helped + if you have any other questions just reply on the thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    oh i just remembered you dont want to use free weights :/ .... does that include smith machine?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    oh god i need to stop skim reading things ... just saw that you didnt mind using dumbells ... that should be fine as pretty much any exercise that involves the bar and be done with dumbells instead also you can get straps which help support your knees (or any joints really)
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRnoob17)
    oh i just remembered you dont want to use free weights :/ .... does that include smith machine?
    I don't know what a smith machine is :dontknow:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.realhomegymreviews.com/wp..._PSM144X_2.jpg

a bench press but the bar is attached to the machine so if you cant push it back up and no one is spotting you then you wont get squashed to death :P
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I don't trust my back at this stage lifting any sort of bar related thing. Don't mind the likes of dumbells and what not as I can keep more control of them and its less stress on my knees as well.
    Unfortunately if you want a strong core/legs you have no choice but to stress the back and knees, this is where the core power is translated into motion.

There are two barbell exercises that you should do that do not use knee/back and that is the overhead press (A.K.A. shoulder press) and the flat bench press.

To be honest, if performed correctly, the squat and deadlift (the two most important weightlifting exercises ever) should not harm your joints.

EDIT: TSRnoob seems to be giving you a vast list of exercises. With a starting strength style routine, you only need to do 3 exercises per session, much more suited to your limited time.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    HIIT is proven to be the best way to slim down, and typically takes the form of 15-20 minute sessions, so ideal for your limited time period. Other people can tell you how to pack on muscle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

I'm pretty much a skinny fat whilst retaining some of my old athletic physique and strength, more around my thighs though.

So what I am looking for is a stronger core, bigger arms, maybe try and slim my thighs down slightly (as sometimes it is hard to fit in to trousers :mmm: ) and get generally aerobically 'fit'.

I'm 6ft 2" and about 12 stone atm (maybe 12.5 but I doubt it even if I haven't weighed myself in a long time).

Oh and one specific area that is really annoying me (it will sound very weird) is my neck/jaw line. It is a lot looser than previously and I would like this to be gone :yep:

I am also in the process of improving my diet so would be welcome to advice here as long as it includes no eggs or sea food of any variety.

So will this be possible in five 30 minute bursts with maybe one longer one on a Sunday?
    Hmm if you're worried about joints and back pains, you probably wont do starting strength no matter what advice is given to you, as it involves squatting heavy 3 times a week. Maybe try westside http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html , you will still have to use free weights, but a lot less then starting strength and it allows you to sub in different exercises if you don't feel comfortable with one. Give it a go, it will take 30-45 mins though.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Hmm if you're worried about joints and back pains, you probably wont do starting strength no matter what advice is given to you, as it involves squatting heavy 3 times a week. Maybe try westside http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html , you will still have to use free weights, but a lot less then starting strength and it allows you to sub in different exercises if you don't feel comfortable with one. Give it a go, it will take 30-45 mins though.
    His worrying is possibly due to the media/imbeclie induced hype about how "dangerous" weightlifting is. I guessed because he said "at this stage" as though he for some reason needs to build up to squatting light weights.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went gym a for a solid month before exams started and i saw good results even though i never followed a specific routine:

I would go 3 times a week allowing my muscles to recover but would spend a 1 and half hour session at least each time;

My Biceps increased in size for this i mainly used dumbbells (I used the ones with the metal at the end i don't think they count as free weights though) ,doing an incline raise thing :P and the bicep curls resistance machine gradually increasing the weights i was working at. Forearms got bigger by doing wrist curls using the small bar or dumbbells.I also manages to improve my abdominals by doing it the traditional way crunches sit ups (different variations) and squats which i would do at home aswell as a break from revision etc

Some days I would also have a milkshake that had raw egg in it as a source of protein you could switch this for lentils my normal diet is high in carbs so that didn't really change.

if your going for definition do more reps at a lower weight
    If your going for muscle gain so high weights less reps

(I feel like i'm stating the obvious)

If I was you I would make use of that extra mass around your thighs and turn it into muscle but that's a 16 year old speaking in any case you could always use the good ol' treadmill

Obv my routine is more time consuming so you'd have to alter it to your needs purpose was to help influence you

hope this helped
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolscap)
    HIIT is proven to be the best way to slim down, and typically takes the form of 15-20 minute sessions, so ideal for your limited time period. Other people can tell you how to pack on muscle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training
    I am not looking to slim down sorry. By 'skinny fat' I mean that I am still slim but I am 'looser' or not as 'toned' (and yes I know before someone jumps down my throat for that term).

His worrying is possibly due to the media/imbeclie induced hype about how "dangerous" weightlifting is. I guessed because he said "at this stage" as though he for some reason needs to build up to squatting light weights.
    I am not an idiot :facepalm2: I have joint problems from old sports injuries which also cause problems in my left shoulder with lifting uncontrolled weights straight over my head. So the use of the term 'at this stage' is because I want to at least have built up the muscle and support structure enough to be able to control what I lift. Even then I don't know if I want to bother with the risk of my form being incorrect and putting excess stress on those joints as I won't be going to the gym with anybody and I am not going to start speaking to people in the gym as I only have the 30 minutes to do what I need to do.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TayiabMahmood)
    I went gym a for a solid month before exams started and i saw good results even though i never followed a specific routine:

I would go 3 times a week allowing my muscles to recover but would spend a 1 and half hour session at least each time;

My Biceps increased in size for this i mainly used dumbbells (I used the ones with the metal at the end i don't think they count as free weights though) ,doing an incline raise thing :P and the bicep curls resistance machine gradually increasing the weights i was working at. Forearms got bigger by doing wrist curls using the small bar or dumbbells.I also manages to improve my abdominals by doing it the traditional way crunches sit ups (different variations) and squats which i would do at home aswell as a break from revision etc

Some days I would also have a milkshake that had raw egg in it as a source of protein you could switch this for lentils my normal diet is high in carbs so that didn't really change.

if your going for definition do more reps at a lower weight
    If your going for muscle gain so high weights less reps

(I feel like i'm stating the obvious)

If I was you I would make use of that extra mass around your thighs and turn it into muscle but that's a 16 year old speaking in any case you could always use the good ol' treadmill

Obv my routine is more time consuming so you'd have to alter it to your needs purpose was to help influence you

hope this helped
    As I said in the title, I only have 30 minutes a day to do anything in the gym. As I am not going before work and I'm certainly not going after work. So lunch hour it is, 30 minutes in the gym and a bite to eat should be fine :yep:

Edit: As for the extra muscle around my thighs, it is too much and causes problems getting clothes to fit. I have to go up two waist sizes and get the waist taken in just so my thighs can fit. When wearing suits which are all sold with a 6" drop (so my 38" chest to 32" waist) this causes a massive problem and means I have to have an ill fitting suit in one particular area unless I spend decent money.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    I literally only have 30 minutes, I can't go over that as then I won't have time to eat. I have read through that website in the past but tbph I don't know what half the things on there are, which is one of the reasons I didn't want to use free weights. I won't know whether I am doing something right or wrong as I am going by myself and won't have the time to try and strike up a (weird) conversation with someone there asking them to watch me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I Would Recommend Starting Strength to be honest even though you may feel that you dont trust your back etc start light and make sure your form is correct look up some videos on youtube if your not sure of form for certain exercises

I Used to have a weak back and shoulders but after four months on starting strength my overall strength was alot better

Also if your looking to lose a bit of weight eat 500 calories below maintenance and you can find maintenance by typing in maintenance calorie calculator into google.
    Make sure too keep protein high , get some good fats and carbs moderate.
    On the days you dont train maybe do some moderate cardio/HIIT it all depends on how fast you want to lose the weight
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately if you want a strong core/legs you have no choice but to stress the back and knees, this is where the core power is translated into motion.

There are two barbell exercises that you should do that do not use knee/back and that is the overhead press (A.K.A. shoulder press) and the flat bench press.

To be honest, if performed correctly, the squat and deadlift (the two most important weightlifting exercises ever) should not harm your joints.

EDIT: TSRnoob seems to be giving you a vast list of exercises. With a starting strength style routine, you only need to do 3 exercises per session, much more suited to your limited time.
    As I said above, free weights will cause issues due to joint issues etc. I also need to do some sort of cardio to get generically 'fit'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.