Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

your 'most entertaining' footballers?

Announcements Posted on
The Football forum needs another moderator! 19-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    who are the players that entertain you most? given the variety on here, we should have some interesting choices! let them be from any time span, and maybe justify your selections. i'll start:

Goalkeepers - Petr Cech has almost never failed to amaze me. Honorary mentions include Oliver Kahn for his sheer determination between the posts, as well as David Seaman for his career of ups and downs.

Side/wingback - I miss watching Emmanuel Eboue. Also, Ashley Cole has never disappointed me, and neither have Coentrao or the legendary Roberto Carlos.

Box-to-box midfielder - Gattuso was the man. Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer, despite their infamous incident, also consistently impressed, while Joey Barton has made an impact (for good or for bad) wherever he's gone. Football needs characters like Barton; he represents much more than a rough midfielder, in that he is something of a working class hero.

Winger - Nani is fun to watch. Also, David Beckham. I still watch LA Galaxy matches just to see what he can still do, and I never believed those who said he was overrated. On that note, I never understood the El Hadji Diouf-phobia, as many footballers are controversial athletes on and off the pitch.

Playmaker/10'er - Paul Gascoigne, or Gazza, orchestrated the games he played. My personal favourite may still remain Juninho though.

Forward/striker - Something about Andy Carroll has always kept me from criticising him. His goal ratio may not have been impressive at Liverpool so far, but to me he's a good target man. Others include Ibrahimovic, who has a real pitch presence, and as much as I dislike him as a person, Suarez for his quick-witted play. Lastly, Adebayor is an entertaining watch, do you not think?

feel free to add players from any position!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Barton: A **** that everyone hates.

Balotelli: A loveable ****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i guess controversial athletes are always fun to watch.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cristiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona. Maybe I enjoyed them more being a United supporter but I think their style and contraversy made them all the more intriguing to watch even for neutrals.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaggySnake95)

Balotelli: A loveable ****.
    Nah he's just a ****. See: Arsenal game.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crisitiano Ronaldo. Dressing like a woman and buying himself a baby. Weird ****.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldinho back when he was the best player in the world did some truly amazing things with the ball. Also Manuel Neuer for just his sheer cockiness, the guy looks like he was born with a cheeky smug on his face.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli off the pitch is just an amazing character.

On the pitch, Thierry Henry, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and Dani Alves are ones I enjoy(ed) watching.
    Another favourite of mine was Freddie Ljungberg, he was class.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    Crisitiano Ronaldo. Dressing like a woman and buying himself a baby. Weird ****.
    The baby is his...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most entertaining player to watch ever was Ronaldinho. By a long, long distance.

Second is probably Cafu for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never enjoyed watching someone play football more than Thierry Henry. He made the game look effortless on his day.

Zidane is a close 2nd.

As for present day players, Van Persie for his ludicrous ability to volley a football.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Ronaldinho, no?

And from the little I've seen of him, I think Neymar will be the one to take up the mantle after moving to Europe.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Luis figooo
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    beardsley. I'm only 24 so he was a little bit before my time really, but the videos of him don't lie. surely the most underrated english player ever, like a cross between quasimodo and lionel messi.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bosingwa's unibrow never fails to capture my gaze.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call me biased but Beckham is one of the reasons that I love football as much as I do.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Bosingwa's unibrow never fails to capture my gaze.
    :laugh: word.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gattuso is not a box-to-box midfielder.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dennis Bergkamp. The greatest Premier League player ever in my opinion. He was a genuis, and could do things other footballers can only dream of.

Two footed footballer, excellent first touch, great finisher, decent in the air. Scored some wonderful goals, especially the hat-trick against Leicester (who I support).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    David Pizarro, Ali Bernarbia, Elano, Berbatov off the top of my head. There's just something about a player in the side for technique and creativity alone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 16, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.