Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should i Give Up & Drop Out of Uni?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently just finishing my 2nd year of uni, but i'm at a complete loss as to where to go from here.

Should i:
    1) stick it out for yet another year and try and finish the year the best i can, even though failing is inevitable and i really dont see the point in repeating the year when im this unhappy.

2) cut my losses, leave and take some time out to think about what i really want (get a job/volunteer/find training courses?) and reapply when things are better, but pay the higher tuition fees. And would i have to fund this myself or can i arrange time off with the uni?

3) apply for a part-time/foundation course. To me this seems the most appealing but again would i have to fund it myself?

Any responses or advice are fully appreciated.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel.

I'm suffering from depression as well and you have the exact same thoughts that I did. Fortunately, I sought help from the university counselling services and spoke to my GP. I've only had two counselling sessions, and it was on the second one that I had what I would justify as an epiphany. Bear in mind that my depression was really severe - it was everything and anything short of suicide.

What I'm trying to get across to you is to seek professional help. I know it's hard for you to talk to people and you just want to block everything out but nothing will change for the better until you take that bold step. You have a plethora of life-changing questions right now and it may be easier to face your issues with your academic advisor and a counsellor behind you every step of the way.

I wish you the best of luck; and if it makes you feel any better, close your eyes, take deep breaths, and imagine that man in my profile pic giving you a nice consoling hug.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might well have developed depression and your chances of getting back to productivity without help are quite slim.

Imo you should get a gp's diagnosis of depression and see your tutor about the possibility of deferring your final year while you sort yourself out.
    Since you're 2 years in you won't be funded for an entire new 3 year course starting over from scratch.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I know how you feel.

I'm suffering from depression as well and you have the exact same thoughts that I did. Fortunately, I sought help from the university counselling services and spoke to my GP. I've only had two counselling sessions, and it was on the second one that I had what I would justify as an epiphany. Bear in mind that my depression was really severe - it was everything and anything short of suicide.

I've spoken to a uni counsellor once before, and i've booked another appointment earlier today. Do you mind me asking what you did?

What I'm trying to get across to you is to seek professional help. I know it's hard for you to talk to people and you just want to block everything out but nothing will change for the better until you take that bold step. You have a plethora of life-changing questions right now and it may be easier to face your issues with your academic advisor and a counsellor behind you every step of the way.

I've been in the process of just registering with a GP for 3 weeks now, and just today was told i have to go back. I'm just tired. I finish uni next monday. But i know, i'll keep trying.

I wish you the best of luck; and if it makes you feel any better, close your eyes, take deep breaths, and imagine that man in my profile pic giving you a nice consoling hug.
    Thank you so much, hahahaha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    You might well have developed depression and your chances of getting back to productivity without help are quite slim.

Imo you should get a gp's diagnosis of depression and see your tutor about the possibility of deferring your final year while you sort yourself out.
    Since you're 2 years in you won't be funded for an entire new 3 year course starting over from scratch.
    Aha i dont know how to use the quote buttons :/

As i've said i'm in the process, i'm hoping just being able to talk to someone will at least begin to help, but i get so scared. Im not sure my tutor will still be around next week, but i'll get onto that.

The thing is that i really dont want to carry on at the uni im currently at, so i dont know if i should start looking at other places and applying for deferred entry or not.

Yeah i've had a look about that, i'll get 2 years funding but have to fund the first year myself if i was to do another 3 year course.

Thanks for your input

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.