The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My friend went into clearing and got into University to do Clinical and abnormal psychology with a BCD when they asked for BBC.
Reply 21
Original post by elliott1993
I keep having problems getting past the person in the call centre. I got BBD in Geography, Russian and Maths. My original offers were BBB and i was rejected by both my choices. I know that if i can get past the call centre person i'll be able to argue my case with someone higher up, but the only option i see at the moment is to initially lie about my grades just to be put through to the admissions tutors. Any advice?????:colondollar:

Call centre??? Unis don't have call centres :/
Reply 22
Original post by TheSownRose
Sometimes they do, yes. Also, because you're actually talking to an admissions tutor, you're able to argue your case more and (if you're good at talking!) possibly persuade them a bit. However, don't think of Clearing as some sort of university sale; they still want candidates they think will be able to do the course. I've seen people hoping a BBB university will let them in with something like CCD. BBC, quite possibly, BCC, maybe. But dropping down four grades, very unlikely.

For a general strategy, I'd say if you were a grade off, you've got a decent shot. If you're two grades off and it's a place you're very keen on or one of the grades off was a very near miss (because you will have the opportunity to point this out when you phone up), it's worth a try. I wouldn't really bother going much below that.

WEll all the Universities i rang up with BBB requirement don't even consider me - i got ACCCa
Yes lots of universities low the grades across clearing (obviously by how much depends on how much demand their courses have, some don't have to) this is because of the student control - if they don't hit their allocated numbers, they will lose those places next year, so better to fill them then loss the places forever.

It's not something they really want to discuss because you are trying to recruit students at XXX for 2013 but currently accepting students with far lower to fill places!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by karchun
WEll all the Universities i rang up with BBB requirement don't even consider me - i got ACCCa

Which is two grades below, kind of proving my point.
Original post by JustSayin'

When you call their clearing hotlines it's a sort of call centre with current students who i am initially speaking to.
Reply 26
Original post by elliott1993
When you call their clearing hotlines it's a sort of call centre with current students who i am initially speaking to.

Really? Students answer your phonecall? I haven't experienced that. Maybe you should just ask them straight away to speak to the admissions tutor ?
Really? Students answer your phonecall? I haven't experienced that. Maybe you should just ask them straight away to speak to the admissions tutor ?

Most universities do this to keep the tutors free for making decisions. The first responders are briefed to take details and filter out the obvious rejections before passing the others on. It saves everyone time.
Original post by Darkarium
From my experience of clearing last year, no. Unis tend to give out more conditional offers than students they can take, if say they have 100 places, 150 conditional offers given out and only 90 make their offer what they then tend to do is shop around and try and fill those 10 spots with people who do meet the standard offer through clearing. If they then can't fill the places they'll accept people that missed their offer. My insurance choice did this to me last year, they held me for 2 days after results day 'making a decision' - what they were really doing is waiting to find someone better in clearing. They then declined me after clearing was pretty much over.

they were waiting for people who held offers and got the grades to decide - such as people who put them as insurance but made the grades they required

the oerder of merit for place allocation is as follows

1. unconditional offer holders
2. CF holders who made the grades
3. CI holders who made the grades but didn't make their CF place
4. CF and CI holders who are 'near misses'
5. clearing

they may not have permanent call centres , but that is fundamentally the system they set up for clearing and then hump the computers and phones to another location for start of the year registration in sports halls etc ...
Which university?
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Usually there will be a fair few universities offering below their grade requirements as far as I understand. My brother got into a BBC course with CDE, but this was UCAS 2009 Entry so I don't 100% know if the same still happens.

which uni?
Did you manage to get in with your insurance offer?

Original post by Darkarium
I missed the offer, I met the grades but got a B in the subject they asked for an A in (by 2 UMS). No amount of discussion with them worked, they just said were 'still considering' and wouldn't release me until a decision was made. I missed clearing because of it. This was last year, aka the rush to get in before fee rise, I would say this year uni's are more likely to have lower offers in clearing as clearing won't be so busy. I definitely think my offers this year have been a lot more generous than last years were already.
Original post by ysgwrn
If a course is available in clearing then presumably the uni will be keen to fill the spare places. Do they ever accept students through clearing with lower grades than those who went through the normal admissions process?

In which case, how do you know how far off the normal requirements you could afford to be for them to consider you or is it a case of ringing all of them just to see what they'd take?

trying to work out a plan if exams go pear shaped

Yes, this is what confirmation and clearing is for. I'm an admissions tutor and so I do this in August.

Confirmation is where universities decide whether to accept people who have missed their offers. Whether they do so really depends on how many students have made their offers, how popular the course is, how many places they have etc. Some universities won't do it at all, others will drop several grades and still accept you. When I am doing this, I sit at a big screen and scroll through a list of offer holders who missed their offers and decide how many and what grades I want to accept. I have seen people being accepted 4 grades below their offer. I don't actually know how typical that is!

Clearing is where a course has not filled its target and so it becomes open again. You can check which courses are in clearing and phone up to see if you can get a place. This means there is a frantic week of dozens of people manning phones and trying to match people with courses that are in clearing. Some universities even offer ad hoc open days so you can visit and be persuaded to come. It is very possible to be accepted even with lower grades than a standard offer.
Original post by ysgwrn
If a course is available in clearing then presumably the uni will be keen to fill the spare places. Do they ever accept students through clearing with lower grades than those who went through the normal admissions process?

In which case, how do you know how far off the normal requirements you could afford to be for them to consider you or is it a case of ringing all of them just to see what they'd take?

I think so but you shouldn't depend on it
Reply 35
Original post by TheSownRose
Sometimes they do, yes. Also, because you're actually talking to an admissions tutor, you're able to argue your case more and (if you're good at talking!) possibly persuade them a bit. However, don't think of Clearing as some sort of university sale; they still want candidates they think will be able to do the course. I've seen people hoping a BBB university will let them in with something like CCD. BBC, quite possibly, BCC, maybe. But dropping down four grades, very unlikely.

For a general strategy, I'd say if you were a grade off, you've got a decent shot. If you're two grades off and it's a place you're very keen on or one of the grades off was a very near miss (because you will have the opportunity to point this out when you phone up), it's worth a try. I wouldn't really bother going much below that

soooo it's not necessary to apply to a ccc uni when u are predicted A*BB, cause my school told me to have 2 unis that are my grades, one aspirational and 2 back up
Original post by Rizvi28
soooo it's not necessary to apply to a ccc uni when u are predicted A*BB, cause my school told me to have 2 unis that are my grades, one aspirational and 2 back up

Depends on the course and also how reliable your predicted grades are. For some courses (CS and economics in recent years) there have been very few opportunities in clearing. For other there have been a load.
Original post by ysgwrn

Most likely yes they will lower their grade boundaries
I’m so sorry this happened to you x

Latest

Trending

Trending