The Student Room Group

M1 24/05/12

Thought it was quite nice. How did everyone else find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alright, after speaking to a few people I realised I have got quite a lot wrong.

For the two assumptions I put - no air resistance and that the tension is constant throughout (which is obviously wrong).

What did you put?
I can't recall any questions asking you to state assumptions.

Edit: This is WJEC, are you sure you're not on AQA or such?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
i couldn't do the moment question.. there were three unknowns?!
Original post by RoundNRound
i couldn't do the moment question.. there were three unknowns?!

Mass of A = 5kg, mass of B = 2kg

|AC| = xm

Then take moments about C:

5gx=(1.4-x)2g

So x=0.4m

Edit: It said the rod was light, so we need not consider it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Perpetuallity
Mass of A = 5kg, mass of B = 2kg

|AC| = xm

Then take moments about C:

5gx=(1.4-x)2g

So x=0.4m

Edit: It said the rod was light, so we need not consider it

ohh i see.. i was trying to include the mass of the rod too .. my bad :colondollar: i need to read the question properly!
Reply 6
Found myself getting a lot of similar answers to everyone else in my class, for the first question I used Newtons 2nd law as if the lift was descending, only at the last minute noticing that it was ascending and changed my answers. The last question was different, used 3 shapes instead of 2, got X as 3.2 and Y as 3.6 I think.
Reply 7
I thought it was a nice, fair paper. The lamina threw me off a bit, I spent loads of time on the centre of mass of the triangles for some reason. I got (3.2,4.2) or something along those lines, and the angle was 22.3, I think. I'm not too sure on those answers, but the method was fine, so I think I got the majority of the marks for it.

The rest was fairly easy, though.
Thought it was quite nice. How did everyone else find it?

It was a nice paper.

Although, I tend to find all M1 papers quite nice. My teacher kept telling me to hold off the '07 papers until the end, but they were just M1 papers with a few different things to the norm in.
I got x=3.2222... and y=4.2222... and my angle was 22.50
Reply 10

Well I did round to 1 decimal place, so the tiny difference in the angle is probably that. Should be fine.
Reply 11

Well then, I guess I got that one wrong haha as most in my class got y as 4.222, what were your other answers?

This.

I think that's correct, at least that's what I got.

Thought the paper was generally easy, there were a few tricks up WJEC's sleeve though.

The connected particles question was slightly unorthodox, but very easy if you resolved+applied N2L to each particle separately.
The question featuring the unknown angle (alpha) seemed pretty unusual, but was also pretty easy once you broke the forces down into their components.
The rough inclined plane was also a little unorthodox, but also looked pretty easy if you have a decent understanding of component forces.

I didn't actually sit this paper, but helped a friend (who did sit it) work through it. Seemed like he agreed with the majority of answer I produced, so I think it was a fairly easy question.

Also. I was very surprised to see 13 marks being given for the center of mass question...in my opinion it was pretty easy once you broke it down into it's constituent shapes.
Original post by cazman34
Well then, I guess I got that one wrong haha as most in my class got y as 4.222, what were your other answers?

I can't remember specifically everything without prompt :tongue:
Reply 15

I remember getting the mass of the person in the lift on question 1 as 60kg, and the weight B on question 4 or 5 as 7kg. The rest I've completely forgotten about :P
Original post by Auesis
I remember getting the mass of the person in the lift on question 1 as 60kg, and the weight B on question 4 or 5 as 7kg. The rest I've completely forgotten about :P

Yeah, I had those.

Something was 29000 N. Something was M = 3, and then something else in that was T = 41.16 N or something. Something was 3.6 ms-1 and 7.2 ms-1.

That's all I can recall without my memory being jogged.
Reply 18

How about the acceleration of the particle moving down the slope? Tell me you got 1.06ms^-2 as well haha
Reply 19
Original post by Tullia
Something was 29000 N. Something was M = 3, and then something else in that was T = 41.16 N or something. Something was 3.6 ms-1 and 7.2 ms-1.

That's all I can recall without my memory being jogged.

Yeah, I remember having to prove a velocity as 7.2, and the CoR I got for that in the next part was 0.36, I think. I remember a T = 41.16, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending