The Student Room Group

maths a level, grade taken more from core units than statistics.. ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachesandcream77
mine are end of june too, sorry i meant that i have a weeks break before those exams as they are my last ones. thanks for the offer, when i start revision for s2 and you're still on studentroom, do you mind if i requote you for help?
well fingers crossed that i'll only need a B/C for s2. Cheers :smile:

yer sure
Original post by spyda666
im on edexcel board, i got 100 c1, 92 c2, 78 s1 and 74 c3, what do i need for s2 and c4 to get an A??????

Well you got 344 so far and according to somebody above, you need 480 overall for an A. So you need at least 136 from them combined. If you got 68 in each one you'd get your A.
Original post by hockeyjoe
yer sure

Hey I'm doing an OCR june 2007 and can't figure out a few questions I was hoping you could put me in the right direction for.

Q5, says a substance is decaying in such a way that m = 240e^-0.04t

i) find the time taken for the substance to halve its mass.
I can usually do these questions but I think I'm going wrong somewhere with the equating m = 1/2? Or do I equate it as 120?

ii) Find the value of t for which the mass is decreasing at a rate of 2.1 kg a year.
Again, I usually find these ones ok but this one has stumped me. I know you have to differentiate m, then substitute t as 2.1? But somehow the answer is wrong..

Q8, says find the exact value of the gradient of the curve y = 4lnx - 3 over 4lnx + 3 at the point where it crosses the x axis.
So I'd have to differentiate the sum, then equate it to 0? Keep getting some random answer..
Reply 23
You just need 480 UMS in total from all modules. So if you were getting in the 90s in the core modules or maybe even in the 80s you can afford to get a C or lower in one module.

I had As across all 3 modules in As and the 2 jan modules in a2, so only needed a U, something like 8 UMS for my overall A but this was because i was averaging about 94%.

It isn't taken anymore from core than stats, all your scores are added up. But yes, you can get a lower grade in stats if you make up for it in the core modules.
Hey I'm doing an OCR june 2007 and can't figure out a few questions I was hoping you could put me in the right direction for.

I can usually do these questions but I think I'm going wrong somewhere with the equating m = 1/2? Or do I equate it as 120?

ii) Find the value of t for which the mass is decreasing at a rate of 2.1 kg a year.
Again, I usually find these ones ok but this one has stumped me. I know you have to differentiate m, then substitute t as 2.1? But somehow the answer is wrong..

Q8, says find the exact value of the gradient of the curve y = 4lnx - 3 over 4lnx + 3 at the point where it crosses the x axis.
So I'd have to differentiate the sum, then equate it to 0? Keep getting some random answer..

is this c3?
is this c3?

yep, OCR
stats is an acquired taste :smile: you have to see the beauty in it to find it easy

I didn't find it beautiful, I found it bloody boring :biggrin: haha!

i)equate 240e^-0.04t to m/2

ii)do dm/dt and equate that to -2.1

Q8)you set 4lnx-3/4lnx + 3 equal to zero as y=0 at this point, this will give you a value of X. You then do dy/dx and sub your value of X in to get the gradient.
Original post by AspiringGenius
I didn't find it beautiful, I found it bloody boring :biggrin: haha!

but it's so handy
how can you be good enough at maths to get 100 in c1, but thick enough to need help doing simple addition to work out what you need to meet the A boundary?

Exactly what I was thinking, what the hell. Then again, they probably don't know what the A boundary is. Seems common sense that it would be 80% though...
but it's so handy

I've found more uses for natural logarithms :smile:
I've found more uses for natural logarithms :smile:

like what?
like what?

precisely :wink:
Reply 33
precisely :wink: