Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Consider this scenario: there's a pill...

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imagine something you would like to change about yourself: grow your hair, penis [longer], moustache; be taller, darker, lighter or more intelligent, etc)

Imagine here's a pill that can make that happen. People have tried it and it works for them. They have posted pictures, videos or whatever to prove it. If you link up the science behind it, it all makes sense BUT there is no scientific proof that the pill can actually do that.
    (EDIT: what I meant is that it makes sense that such thing would work for your problem but there are no scientific reports/documents connecting it to the improvement of your problem. Much like when people say that talking on the phone would give you brain cancer or whatever it was - it makes sense that it would but there isn't evidence to link it up. Sorry for the confusion :o:)

Would you still take it? :confused:

P.s: there are no health risks associated to the pill, so far.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, yeah. Doesn't seem like much of a decision really so long as you don't become obsessed
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this some kind of stalking horse for religious belief? Faith without evidence, the value of testimony?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well since you say there are no negatives, then yeah, i would. Even if it didn't work what would you have to lose? Unless you're a bible basher and consider it impure or some crap...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    If you link up the science behind it, it all makes sense BUT there is no scientific proof that the pill can actually do that.
    ???

At least make sense.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take it. I don't know why, I just wouldn't
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    ???

At least make sense.
    QFT

In theory yes I'd take it - why not? I'd have nothing to lose.

But you really didn't make sense OP
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What I got from the OP was that they believed there was real, credible evidence for working penis enlargement pills.

Dear God.

Also, why just 'longer'? What if they want corkscrew cocks?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    with something than is mental (ie being smarter) the pill is more likely to have a placebo effect. But on the physical effects that's pretty neat, i would love to be taller, but long term effects can appear after several decades, so i wouldnt take the pill at all, and thats my reasoning.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Maybe wait a few years till I come to a decision?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    ???

At least make sense.

(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

But you really didn't make sense OP

Sorry for the confusion. I edited the thread to clear it up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean there is no scientific evidence for the pill? If you took the pill and the next morning you were a foot taller or 50 IQ points smarter and you could repeat that test with say, 100 people, that would be pretty conclusive evidence. It may not be understood how the pill works but that's the case for lots of things like anaesthesia, doesn't mean God did it or whatever you're pushing at.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    skinnier, a bit darker and longer hair - yeh I'd take that.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ummmm.....of course not. I'd be actively campaigning against it.

First off, I'd need absolute proof, I'm going to assume that I know it works.

This encourages a competition between all that you've mentioned. Parents feeding them to children to make them smarter, is it expensive? You now have attractive, tanned, intelligent rich children v poor, unintelligent children. Increasing the divide again.

Also I don't think I'd like it tbh, I can imagine not liking feeling "artificial," obviously if EVERYONE else did it I'd probably be pressured into doing it, but the idea is horrific.

Where would it end?

Oh and what do you know, 20 years down the line it might turn out to give you cancer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Is this some kind of stalking horse for religious belief? Faith without evidence, the value of testimony?
    REP 1+ for noticing that, I didn't

But of course if this is made analogous to religion, you wouldn't only have to take the pill, you would have to believe the pill actually works even without scientific evidence.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd do it. I'd do anything to be taller.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    More intelligent is the only thing on that list I would want, I would take it for that. I would need some scientific evidence if I had to buy the pill but if it was free then I would take it and find out for myself whether if worked.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing I'd want to change about myself that I can't change myself with a bit of willpower (e.g. weight, being healthier, being more confident), so no I don't think I would take it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    What I got from the OP was that they believed there was real, credible evidence for working penis enlargement pills.

Dear God.

Also, why just 'longer'? What if they want corkscrew cocks?
    I would enjoy this.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)

(Original post by james1211)
    Well since you say there are no negatives, then yeah, i would. Even if it didn't work what would you have to lose? Unless you're a bible basher and consider it impure or some crap...

(Original post by cardine92)
    What do you mean there is no scientific evidence for the pill? If you took the pill and the next morning you were a foot taller or 50 IQ points smarter and you could repeat that test with say, 100 people, that would be pretty conclusive evidence. It may not be understood how the pill works but that's the case for lots of things like anaesthesia, doesn't mean God did it or whatever you're pushing at.

(Original post by Triq6)
    REP 1+ for noticing that, I didn't

But of course if this is made analogous to religion, you wouldn't only have to take the pill, you would have to believe the pill actually works even without scientific evidence.

It really has nothing to do with religion. I don't know where you guys got that idea from :confused:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.