Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Higher French 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find Higher french today?

I thought the reading and translation was good and so was the listening and essay, was just the directed writing that threw me a little for some reason.

Was it just me, or was the topic of the reading paper quite moving?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i thought the reading was lovely, and actually enjoyed reading it, i agree it was moving!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same! Although I thought parts of the listening were a little difficult.. Listening essay was good though The directed writing was strange, there weren't as many chances to speak about the usual stuff.. Travelling, what you did etc, it threw me aswell! :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found the translation quite hard, some words weren't in my dictionary do I kind of guessed some of it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found the reading, translation and directed writing really good. however I found some of the listening more tricky and wasn't sure where to go with my essay really!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Translation, reading as directed writing was brilliant - I did an essay like that last week. Then the listening and other essay were horrible.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah94xx)
    I found the reading, translation and directed writing really good. however I found some of the listening more tricky and wasn't sure where to go with my essay really!
    I was lucky i managed to re-write a few parts of my speaking test for the short essay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aroy45)
    Translation, reading as directed writing was brilliant - I did an essay like that last week. Then the listening and other essay were horrible.

I agree with this!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have higher italian tomorrow so i hope that exam will be sort of similar if not better! The SQA really know how to mess up exam dates!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does any one have a copy of solutions for the reading and listening papers?
    I thought everything went quite well, but though the opinions essays was quite limited on what I could talk about. Oh well, no more exams!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought both papers in general were a lot better than I expected. The reading I'm normally okay with and today I found it fine, I did realise I'd mis-translated one or two words in the break between papers but let's hope that doesn't mess my mark up too much.

I think the directed writing was a lot better than other past papers because it was easier to ensure you were answering all the bullet points since two parts of them were basically just stating numbers. Although I couldn't remember how to say 'older' in French for the very end part, eventually got it after I sat there for a good five minutes. Thank god I finished early! The 'free writing' as we call it I loved since that's what my speaking exam was on and I found the listening average with a few tricky parts. Overall not too bad, fingers crossed!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually found the reading quite hard :confused: The listening was difficult too as always but it was doable I thought. Whilst I don't know why, but the reading just totally threw me off. The directed writing was just plain weird, but I made most of it. I ended up saying that I worked as a footballer so I could get my usual 'what did you do in your spare time?' phrases in. As for older, I just used in the future instead.

The listening essay was lovely though. It was just amazing and I genuinely enjoyed writing it.

I think that I'll get full marks for both my essays (25) and added on with my speaking (25) I only need 20/50 from the reading and listening combined. I really hope I've managed to scrape that... At the least, I think I'll get 10/20 for the reading comprehension, 5/10 for the translation and 5/20 for the listening. Hopefully.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mistranslated a few words in the first part of the translation, but the rest was okay. Overall, it was a fairly nice paper!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought reading was good and directed writing was okay. translation had some bits which caught me though so i think ive got about 5/10 for that hopefully! Listening was a disaster for me though, couldnt tune my ear into it at all. Short essay was a blessing though! Does anyone have any way of putting up the answers for the paper?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    I actually found the reading quite hard :confused: The listening was difficult too as always but it was doable I thought. Whilst I don't know why, but the reading just totally threw me off. The directed writing was just plain weird, but I made most of it. I ended up saying that I worked as a footballer so I could get my usual 'what did you do in your spare time?' phrases in. As for older, I just used in the future instead.

The listening essay was lovely though. It was just amazing and I genuinely enjoyed writing it.

I think that I'll get full marks for both my essays (25) and added on with my speaking (25) I only need 20/50 from the reading and listening combined. I really hope I've managed to scrape that... At the least, I think I'll get 10/20 for the reading comprehension, 5/10 for the translation and 5/20 for the listening. Hopefully.
    Phew! At least I wasn't the only one who found the reading quite hard!

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrabble96)

I agree, the beginning was quite hard. However, I felt that it got easier once you got into it. Directed Writing was a bummer,only had 2 sentences for a job scenario, so had to improvise,a lot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found the Listening really hard! The essay was okay and the reading wasn't to tricky alothough I stumbled a few times.

I thought the DW went well but my friend said I should have written it in the perfect tense and not the imperfect
    Is this true? Will I fail it for not writing in the correct tense?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamanthaHadden)
    I found the Listening really hard! The essay was okay and the reading wasn't to tricky alothough I stumbled a few times.

I thought the DW went well but my friend said I should have written it in the perfect tense and not the imperfect
    Is this true? Will I fail it for not writing in the correct tense?
    You won't fail. Also, using different tenses depends on what you're saying exactly; maybe she was being specific with the time, but you weren't so you used the imperfect.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrabble96)

(Original post by animelover123)
    I agree, the beginning was quite hard. However, I felt that it got easier once you got into it. Directed Writing was a bummer,only had 2 sentences for a job scenario, so had to improvise,a lot.
    The beginning was seriously hard! Who knows what I'll get for the reading now. :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any answers for anything would be awesome

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.