The Student Room Group

"Baroque Counterpoint" - Edexcel

I seem to have infinite amounts of notes on Bach chorales... which is great. Except that we're supposed to do the Baroque Counterpoint exercise in the Unit 2 coursework booklet too. *Grumbles at the school.*

The specification says this:

In particular, two-part Baroque Counterpoint as exemplified in the work of Corelli and Handel...

If it wasn't for the specification I would've had no idea we're supposed to be studying the style of Corelli and Handel, hence my grumbling at the school. :frown:

I really would like to do well in this subject... does anybody know of any resources I can use to help me with this? Whether in the form of a website or a book (I'm prepared to buy a book). Or maybe some general pointers when composing.

After a quick dig through the examiners' report for 2005, it looks like lots of people lost marks for poor style.
Reply 1
I know very little about Corelli and Handel, though a good starting point would be to get as much two part music by them and try having a look at it/playing it through on the piano to notice some notable features?
Reply 2
Perhaps it's contorversial but I find Wikipedia as a useful starting point. Surely you'll find what you need, with references to other books, in one of those monstrous-great-whopping dictionaries of music at a library?
This is a very old thread but I know people will be coming here for advice. I've compiled a document of advice for writing counterpoint, including reading/writing figured bass. I've included advice from lots of online resources, and words of wisdom from my excellent music teacher. If you're experienced in writing counterpoint, do point out anything you disagree with! I hope this is useful.

Quick Reply

Latest