The Student Room Group

Real Level 3? Err...500 Pounds worth getting this? I need to get to University..

http://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses/level-3-diplomas?view=oscomprodlist&id=15

Are they accredited - Which qualification here do you think would be the most valuable and they are around 500 pounds so i will have to lend it.

But i need to decide now - i really need to get to University pronto.
Reply 1
They maybe level 3 courses, but they may not get you to university. They have to have sufficient credit at level 3 (google NQF/QCF) and be recognised by the university you want to apply for.

Some of the awarding bodies of these qualifications may have lists of universities that accept their qualification and for which courses.
Reply 2
Make sure that you meet the GCSE Maths and English requirement for university enterance. These courses are unlikely to be enough.
Reply 3
Yeah i wanted to do Computer Science at University - But i think this isn't going to cut it - I won't knock it completely. I will message some prospective Universities - I am almost 21 i need to leave this year so this is my only shot

If anyone else would recommened a Level 3 distance Learning course that can be obtained at your pace (Faster)

Thanks for the advice Edjunkie - I am stressing out right now damn.
Reply 4
Do they offer any computer science related courses at that college? Otherwise it will probably be a waste of money.

Under FAQ is says:

Can I get into university with a Level 3 Diploma?

Most universities require UCAS points to gain entry*. Some universities accept Level 3 Diplomas in place of A Levels. We urge you to check the entry requirements of your chosen college/university/employer before enrolling on a course with us.

*Our Diplomas do not carry UCAS points

Do you have any GCSEs?
Alternatively you could do an Access course, this can also be done in a year and will most likely get you into uni, though Im not sure if you can do it long distance.
Otherwise I think Open University does something similar, but other people here will know more than I.
Reply 5
Try the Open university Openings courses. Next start date June, cannot apply online, so you need to contact the OU. If you can start in June, your fees per course will be £195, the next intake will be subject to the new fees structure. You could finish as soon as October with a June start.
Update - checked a bit further, you are unlikely to be able to start for June. August/September starts are available. Unfortunately that does mean higher fees.

Talk to the OU about the qualifications you already have and see if one or more Openings courses could bring you up to the level a flexible university might grant you admission.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Philemon
Do they offer any computer science related courses at that college? Otherwise it will probably be a waste of money.

Under FAQ is says:

Can I get into university with a Level 3 Diploma?

Most universities require UCAS points to gain entry*. Some universities accept Level 3 Diplomas in place of A Levels. We urge you to check the entry requirements of your chosen college/university/employer before enrolling on a course with us.

*Our Diplomas do not carry UCAS points

Do you have any GCSEs?
Alternatively you could do an Access course, this can also be done in a year and will most likely get you into uni, though Im not sure if you can do it long distance.
Otherwise I think Open University does something similar, but other people here will know more than I.

The difficulty is that the OP is a bright individual who has an issue obtaining L2 maths and they cannot pass the Access to HE diploma even though they have done well at their L3 modules in the other subjects. (The issue about attempting a mathematical computing science degree when having this mathematical issue, has been highlighted to them elswhere.)

But due to personal circumstances they need to get into Uni this September, or more specifically leave home, they explained this in a couple of other threads. Therefore they are seeking a replacement for the HE Access course they do not think they will pass and they need to start and complete that alternative between now and results day in late August.

@OP, these courses are taken prediminatly by individuals as personal or professional development in non graduate careers. They do not offer any L2 equivalency components.

Did you speak to the Uni's? Your offer is based upon your current Access course. The uni's are unlikely to accept an alternative course/qualification as meeting that specific offer, if you fail to meet the specific offer, and in particular if you fail the course the offer is based on. If you present a new alternative qualification they, to be fair to other candidates, will require you to reapply via clearing. Clearing does not work on a conditional offer basis, it will based upon what you have during late August and early September. Hence my comment above regarding results day in August.

For the above reasons I suggest you do not waste 500 pounds.
Reply 7
You say you want to lend it? Who do you want to lend it to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending